Synthroid

Comment from: Mare, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 15

Hello, I have been using Synthroid for over ten years and find it the best to use. I have never had my dose increased as I follow the SPECIFIC directions for use. Take it at the same time every day (for me, 5 A.M.!)and on an empty stomach--for one hour. I have found, my morning coffee is fine with no cream, or half and half ; a food. I tried the generic form and it did not have the same affect, or good results. Take your Synthroid as directed, which is usually first thing in the morning, ONE full hour BEFORE eating any food. Yet, ask your doctor about this. I also advocate eating smaller amounts of food if you have weight to lose after being diagnosed. I gained a tremendous amount of weight from being mis-diagnosed for almost four years. After beginning a course of Synthroid and revamping my life routine, I was able to lose 80 pounds in one year. I am now a healthy 138 pounds.Being very thin all my life and being tall, nearly 5"10, I feel like my young self again! I did not do any extreme exercise routine or have to starve myself to lose the weight. I've been a disciplined eater all my life. The key to using this med is, clearly, to stay in with your prescribing doctor and have your TSH profile tested often enough to KNOW your dose is appropriate for you. I have never had to piggyback additional T3 with my dose of Synthroid. Look into your diet, check what may be needing a change. Research the foods and supplements that affect your medication and may inhibit the full benefit. Also, at one point in time, I had fluctuations in how I felt; years later, and went back to my doctor who tested me and found I had been going through a normal hormone change (menopause)! I experienced symptoms NOT related to the hypothyroid and my medication dose was still fine for me. Be of good cheer, hope this helps. Sincere, Mare

Related Reading: synthroid | menopause

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 09

I was on synthroid for about 8 years and I never felt good on it. I begged my doctors to give me alternatives. I fired my doctors and have now switched to one who cares and who has put me on a natural thyroid replacement. I feel fantastic. Better than I have for many many years. I have energy. I;m tyaking off the weight I put on and just feel like my old self. What I take not only replaces your T4 like synthroid but if also replaces the 5-6 other things that your thyroid is supposed to replace. Researh on the net. Go to http://thyroid.about.com/

Related Reading: synthroid

Comment from: mmbsrUSA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

Specify if you are using the generic Levothyroxine or brand name Synthroid in your post. There is a difference. If you started out on the generic Levothyroxine as I did, and suffered any side effects that are intolerable to you, switch to the brand name Synthroid. Using the generic brand, I noticed immediate improvement in energy and overall feeling of well-being; however, an increasingly intolerable headache began occuring within a half hour of dosing each day and became severe enough that the trade off was no longer worth it. After conferring with my Dr., she stated that my experience on the generic was not uncommon, but she wanted to start with that one to avoid a dispute with the insurance company and patients complaining to her about the increased cost of the original brand name. Since switching to the brand name Synthroid, I am experiencing all the benefits of the generic WITHOUT any headaches or side effects; no insomnia, no weight gain (actually am losing weight at about 2lbs a week), no brain fog, no depression. I do want to say that you have to be proactive. You cannot expect a pill to be the 'cure-all'. You have to exert some mental and physical will power. If you are a hypochondriac or some other 'woe-is-me' type person, by all means, this drug is for you, as if will give you something else to whine about. If you are proactive and want a change in your life, Synthroid is for you as well. To avoid the threat of constipation, I increased my fruit and vegetable intake. I also consume massive amounts of flavored calorie free-sugar free water. I eliminated most starches. Which, boys and girls, translates to how I should have been eating all along. I still enjoy my favorite foods, but I have noticed that on Synthroid, my cravings for junk food have diminished. I think some of you that are listing 'insomnia' are over using the term in replacement for increased energy levels. Use the extra energy to exercise. Get busy living or get busy dying. YOUR CHOICE!

Related Reading: levothyroxine | headache | insomnia

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Prescribed synthroid. Found out through the internet that one should be fully hydrated when having blood drawn for the TSH and T3 tests. I was fasting when I had blood drawn as was having other tests run as well. My TSH was 4.68 - just a bit abnormal. I stopped the synthroid because of side effects. The next time I asked my doctor if I could repeat the TSH test fully hydrated. I did so and the results came back within the normal range. I hope this helps someone else. Have never reviewed a drug before.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism

Comment from: NewHypoPt, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 20

I was dx with hypothyroidism after blood tests revealed a high (but not extremely high) TSH level. My doctor had to convince me to try it, since I have no symptoms, am a normal weight, etc... She convinced me to try Synthroid for a few months to see if it cleared up any symptoms that I didn't know I had. I'm about a week into treatment (it takes up to two for the full effect), and have noticed that I have more energy in the mornings and more color to my skin. I have not experienced any issues with water retention or bloating, weight gain or loss, hair loss, or other side effects. I did flush once after running and looked like a tomato for about 5 minutes, which has never happened. I also noticed that for the first morning or two I felt a little "shaky", but that went away when I switched from high-fiber cereal to a protien-based breakfast (1 egg and 1/2 english muffin). I was prescribed .25mcg (lowest dose). I eat 1800-2000 calories/day and focus on whole foods (whole veggies/fruits, meats, whole grains), but I don't subscribe to any particular 'diet'. I excercise 5-6 times/week at a moderate-high intensity. I will re-post once I've had a longer experience on Synthroid, but wanted to post about my first impressions since there are so many negative reviews out there and it's scary for people who are just diagnosed and are looking for info.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: Murphie, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 09

I took Synthroid and the generic form for more than ten years. I must admit it took away the fatigue and leveled me out emotionally, but there was a big problem. I constantly, and I mean all day long, would have a rush going through my body, starting in my chest and up to my head. I can only explain it as the feeling you get when you get an adrenalin rush from being startled. I talked to the internist who prescribed it and he said my thyroid levels were fine. When I tried decreasing the amount of Synthroid on my own, the rushes decreased in intensity and frequency, but the lethargy, inability to focus, and overly emotional symptoms returned. After the routine blood work, my doctor called saying my levels were very high and I needed to increase the dose immediately. I went to an endocrinologist and he actually said, "read my lips...your symptoms have nothing to do with the synthroid." So I continued to take it, not realizing there was an alternative. Until I went to an allergist (for an unrelated problem) and asked him if I could possibly be allergic to the synthetic forms. He said of course, and put me on a natural product that has both T3 and T4 and my symptoms stopped immediately. My levels were fine and I felt great. I've been taking it for 10 years now and will never switch. When I go to a doctor who insists I go back on synthroid because my symptoms were unrelated to the drug, that I was just on the wrong dosage, I find another doctor who listens to me. I will never, ever take synthroid or any of the generics again. My allergic symptoms may be very rare, but take heed, doctors don't know everything. Listen to your body and find a doctor who will listen and work with you.

Related Reading: synthroid | fatigue | adrenalin

Comment from: judyt720, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 28

I have been taking this med for more than a month and I have already lost 8.5 lbs and counting. My energy level has increased some and my skin is less dry. I also eat healthy and work out 3 days a week. This has been a blessing because other doctors said my blood levels were normal. The normal TSH level is .03-3.0 so if you have symptoms and your doctor says your blood levels are normal, find a doctor that follows the revised levels as of 2003-2006 Also the doctor should listen to your symptoms. Sometimes blood levels are off depending on the person & the degree of disorder. I hope this has helped. Good luck to all and live healthy

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 13

I took this horrible drug for over a year until I became ENLIGHTENED!!!! If you require thyroid hormone replacement then get....that! What I mean is this drug is synthetic and only has T4....while your body can convert T4 into active thyroid hormone T3 it is very ineffective and doesn't do anything to replace the other hormones your thyroid would produce naturally...T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin. Which obviously your body needs or a healthily functioning thyroid wouldn't produce, right? So please be aware there are better treatments like Naturethroid and Armour thyroid. They are FDA approved and VERY effective!!! I have taken both and am very pleased with Naturethroid. PLEASE make sure you are getting the BEST treatment. Please do your research...both drugs are very safe and drugs like them have been being used since the 1800's....synthroid 1970 ( with several mass recalls)...

Related Reading: armour thyroid | synthroid

Comment from: marls00, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 31

Started at 25mcg in 2001, gradually increased over 8 year period to 88mcg. My thyroid numbers seem to have finally stabilized at this dose as I've been on this dose for nearly 2 years with good blood results. Biggest problem with synthroid is it takes awhile to get to the right dose. That's the nature of this condition (hypothyroidism) and you just have to be patient. You'll feel fine for awhile, then will have to increase your dose again. THis continues until you hit that right number for your weight and the severity of your condition. I fought my doctors and wanted Armour Thyroid but they didn't want to give it to me because they say it's hard to monitor dosage. SOme people seem to do better with ARmour, but I'm glad I stuck with synthroid. Symptoms are practically gone, i.e., brain fog, extreme fatique, constipation, weight gain. (Though I did get on an exercise regimen the day I was first diagnosed -- I'm sure that has helped with the weight.) Note: if you increase your dose, do it gradually, i.e., start taking the higher dose every 5th day, then gradually over the course of a couple of months work your way up to every day or even every other day. Whenever I jumped right from one dose to another, I'd have heart palpitations and anxiety. I had no problems with gradual increases.

Comment from: nolagirl, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 14

I had hypothyroidism since i was 12 yrs.old, i am now 32. Synthroid is all i had taken up until 2 years ago, i started taking cytomel with the synthroid. All of you saying synthroid does not work you may need to take cytomel also. Our body needs T3 and T4, synthroid is only made up of T4 not everyone's body converts T3 into T4 that is what cytomel is T4. I cannot tell you how much better i feel, i always never felt right on synthroid but the doctor would tell me my numbers were where they needed to be. Finding the right doctor is ESSENTIAL.

Related Reading: cytomel

QUESTION

Where is the thyroid gland located? See Answer
Comment from: Me, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 13

I have been taking Armour Thyroid for 30 years without any side effects.Asked my Dr for Levothroxine,because it's on Walmarts $4.00 list.After reading side effects decided not to take & had my Dr. change me back to real Thyoid med.$10.00 a month & well worth it.We all need to learn more about our own bodies & not just go with whatever Dr. tell us.If your Dr won't listen to you FIND another Dr.Sometimes I'm really glad I DON'T HAVE INSURANCE because it make me learn more on my own.Dr.s are not Gods & are only giving you their educated guesses.It's not in their best interest to kill or cure you,both ways they lose your money,& as long as insurance companies keep giving Drs.incentives to use their products we will be the loses.,but do not stop taking your thyroid med as once you start taking it your thyoid stops working so you must take for the rest of your life.The Dr. who put me on it never told me this or did any test to see if my thyoid was under active.I was 28 with 4 small children & working full time so went to him because I WAS TIRED HE PUT ME ON THYOID MED.I don"t believe back then there was anything wrong with my thyoid.He's no longer my Dr.If you feel like your on speed your getting to much & if your are tired all the time you probably need more.Trust your own instincs & listen to your body ,your the one who lives in there & good luck

Related Reading: armour thyroid

Comment from: dk007, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 26

I was taking this medication upon arising with a full glass of water each morning. By afternoon I was so fatigued I could hardly move. One day I forgot to take it and made it through the day just fine. The next day I resume my morning dose. Again I was fatigued. So I switched to taking it a night after not eating for 2 hours. No more fatigue.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: beaches1, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 04

I had taken Synthroid for 9 years, but thought I would switch to Levothyroxine to save money. On Levothyroxine my brain seemed foggy and I gained 11 pounds over the last year. Plus my dosage has changed 3 times-my TSH and T4 are all over. Two weeks ago I had my Dr. put me back on Synthroid, 175 mcg. and I my kids were saying yesterday that I had stopped repeating myself and seemed to be an energizer bunny. For me the generic did not work as well.

Related Reading: synthroid | levothyroxine

Comment from: OMG!, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 22

I have been on this medicine for 5 years and can't get through the doctors heads to change me. I have pain and tingling in my arms and legs, my body is just weak and I am always cold and tired. I now have infertility and have entered menopause at 35. I have severe mood swings and have gained so much weight. I hate this medicine it's slowly taking my life away. But mostly I hate the doctors who just look at you like you don't know what you're feeling and dismiss you.

Related Reading: infertility | menopause

Comment from: Synthroid lover, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 22

In July 1993 I started feeling horrible, I had gained 65 lbs in 6 weeks. Cold, tired, constipated and mean! Had many BMR tests, no conclusion. By the time I visited a friend who was an ARNP, NOT a Dr. She looked at me and said your Thyroid is dead! It was, my TSH was 148.65. I was hospitalized to start treatment, levothroid NEVER worked!! 18 years later, I've been on synthroid for 18 years.. A new insurance company says no more synthroid, Levothroid does not work. 45 lb weight gain, moody and miserable. Back on Synthroid, I will buy it myself before I ever go off of it again. Almost normal again! Don't let a Dr. or an insurance company tell you whats GOOD for you!!

Related Reading: levothroid | synthroid

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 21

I am 65 years old have been using Synthroid 75 mcg for the past 20 years following postpartum hypothyroidism. I initially felt great as I was not so tired. Over the years I developed various symptoms ie insomnia, dry mouth, coated tongue and in the past few years I had heart palpitations, body tremors and lower extremity neuropathy. I gradually stopped the medications and all symptoms disappeared. I also noticed I had been retaining fluid and my thyroid was enlarged. My skin was now moist, softer and less wrinkled and my memory improved. This is all after my doctor told me my thyroid level was fine. But,I had felt so uncomfortable I gradually decreased my dosage to zero without my doctors consent. The medical profession appears to only assess the use of this drug by blood results which seems to be inadequate. I worry what damage has resulted to my internal organs.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism | insomnia | dry mouth

Comment from: Lynn Angel, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 62, have been on Synthroid since 12-09 have found that I don't sleep well at night, gained weight, cold all the time, very tired, muscle aches, tired in the afternoons, fall asleep on the couch trying to watch my tv shows, no energy, depressed, headaches, heart rate increased, no interest in doing anything. I can not see where this medicine has helped other than bring down my thyroid level from 9.1 to 6.0 now. I hate this medicine and I am going to quit taking it... going to try something that is natural. Any help out there...?

Related Reading: synthroid

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 27

I've been on Synthroid (75MCG) for a week and I feel like I am going crazy! Anxiety is horrible...Heart feels like it's going a mile a minute...feel like I could pass out at times...feels like I am on speed...not good. I am having this dosage changed a.s.a.p and so far my impression of this drug is not a good one. I hope it gets better once the dosage gets changed because I can't imagine living like this...I feel like I was better off 2 weeks ago when I didn't even know I had hypothyrodism. Has anyone else experienced those feelings? Will it get better?

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: kc, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 05

I have been on this medication(.125mcg) for a lot of years, but, over the past few years my dose was lowered to .112mcg. I began to develop high BP, eye problems, sleep issues, stomach issues and a host of other problems. I ran out of the medication a couple days ago and have not refilled it and now two days off of it and i feel really good and checked my BP and it has dropped significantly. My eyes feel and look better and I am not feeling lethargic and woozy like i have been feeling. I am not sure this medication has been doing me right for a rather long time.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 17

On my previous review I complained of many side effects which resulted in discontinuation of the use of Synthroid. However I consulted a different Dr. who said the problem was dosage and not the medication. So by reducing the dosage to half all the side effects disappeared and I feel much better. Good night sleep, more energy, and happier overall.

Comment from: SKNY, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 24

This has been a life-altering drug for me. For years and years, I had an almost constant lack of energy and slogged my way through every single day. It was so depressing. Doctors did not believe I had a thyroid problem because I was in the low-normal range, and nothing else seemed to be medically wrong. After seeking out solutions for years from psychoanalysis to acupuncture, a close friend with a thyroid condition gave me a book, and I saw that I had 18 of 25 symptoms of an underactive thyroid. I went back to my doctor and...well...insisted that she let me try a treatment for hypothyroidism (I don't blame her for her caution--unnecessary Synthroid is dangerous). After about a month and a half, I started noticing a big difference in my energy level. After three months I was tested and my level was right at dead-center normal. In fact, I was traveling so I asked a different doctor to do my thyroid test, and when he saw the results said, "whatever you're doing is perfect." Over the years, I went up slightly in dose (from 25mg/day to 37.5mg/day--one and a half pills), but after a while it felt like too much and I went back to the original dose. Once I went off it for about half a year (I had no health insurance and couldn't afford the required liver tests every three months), and after about 6-8 weeks I started to feel exhausted all the time again. By the way, I had mixed results from generics with this drug--one brand gave me palpitations--so I've stuck with Synthroid and it's been fine indeed for the past decade.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism | liver | palpitations

Comment from: blawhun, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm 29 and was diagnosed with Under active thyroid back in June 2009. My meds have been changed several times. I am now on 50 mcg. I cannot take the generic because it does not work for me. I am having heart palpitations on a daily bases to the point I wonder if it is really a heart related problem. After reading some reviews I feel it is more related to Sythroid. I have NO sex drive as well. This med sucks and I will be seeking an alternative whether it natual or another brand. Also having severe headaches daily. Does anyone out there have the same issues or have any suggestions??

Comment from: Dolly, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 22

Before the treatment I was so very tired,could cry at the drop of a hat,didn't want to deal with anything that required thought or action, was depressed, no energy, and my husband thought I had just became plain lazy. I have been on the medicine for 5 years with dosages being increased 3 times and it has definatly changed my whole being. I give it a super A+. My husband felt terrible when the actual problem was diagnosed.

Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: dee7238, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 05

There HAS TO BE another medication other than Synthroid for hypothyroidism!!! I alway feel tired, rarely get a good night's sleep and generally feel sluggish and inactive. I can't take the generic and my MD won't change me to another medication. HELP! I can't be the only person in this world not liking Synthroid

Related Reading: synthroid | hypothyroidism

Comment from: Brandy, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 20

Recently, I have had my dossage changed to 50mcg. I have to take the name brand due to generic brand not working. I have noticed for the past few months (been on meds since 2008)rapid heart rate and pulse. I finally broke down and went to a cardiologist, whom I thought could lead me in the right direction. After an EKG, He was concerened about my resting heart rate being high- 105 bpm. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms? I informed him of my thyriod diease and he is pretty possitve it has something to do with my meds- maybe getting to much but wants to be sure and do a stress test and echo. If you finding yourself with similar symptoms can u please put me at ease and let me know by responding. My husband thinks I'm crazy!

Related Reading: stress