Synvisc

Comment from: linda, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 04

had arthroscopic surgery 18 months ago,and found the pain symptoms retd, had 3 injections of synvisc in oct and can walk 3kms at a time again without any pain pills.

Related Reading: synvisc

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 25

54 yr old and was told that I needed a knee replacement 4 yrs ago, synvisc has saved me the trouble and pain of knee replacement and I can still do my job as a plumbing contractor. With knee replacement my job would have been in jepardy. I usually get the 3injections approximately every yr and they are somewhat painful but work.

Comment from: Cop, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 14

I am a 51 year old male law enforcement officer that has suffered with knee pain for years and this treatment has been very effective for me. This is the fifth time I've had the treatment and I'm very pleased.

Related Reading: knee pain

Comment from: chrispix53, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 26

54 yr old f. Have had knee problem since grade school. Had 3 ops. About 4 yrs ago, I had Synvisc inj for 1st time. Everything was fine. Last year, 2nd time injections were uncomfortable, but tolerable & knee pain was gone. I was able to walk around Europe for 2 weeks. Just had Synvisc inj for the 3rd time this month. Horrible pain during shots, swelling, unable to straighten knees or walk for 3 days after 1st two shots. During 3rd shot, I begged dr. to stop & was crying it was so painful. That was 5 days ago-my knees are twice as painful as before the shots & I have trouble doing everything. My dr. says I cannot have them anymore, he thinks the Synvisc has irritated the joint. This was my last hope for pain relief. I have been to 4 drs & they don't want to do a replacement until I reach 60! I'll be in a wheelchair before that!

Related Reading: synvisc

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 23

HAD ARTHOSCOPIC SURGERY IN DEC 08 PAIN RETURNED AFTER 2 MONTHS. 2 CORTISONE SHOTS STILL NOIMPROVEMENT. THEN HAD A SERIES OF SYNVISC SHOTS THE PAIN IS WORSE NOW THEN BEFORE SURGERY

Related Reading: cortisone | synvisc

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 04

43 y/o military flyer with left knee repair Aug 07. Now back to training for multisport events with no knee pain/inflamation following treatment.

Comment from: isnorkel, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 01

74 year old woman, Bone on bone/arthritis in both knees confirmed by MRI. Candidate for total knee replacements. Received several rounds of Synvisc over the years. Went from severe pain, weakness, swellng, limping to total pain/sympton free. Relief from injections last up to 18 months. A miracle treatment for me. Went from using home stairs on my butt to walking/running up/down stairs.

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: Michigander, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 25

I got my first series of 3 shots in February,08.I felt the benefit after about 4 weeks and this allowed me to return to my normal activities. The pain returned in November 08 and just had my second series of 3 shots . This time the releif was almost immediate. Taking shots was not a problem at all.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 31

49yr old male, had shots 3yrs ago for pain and has worked.Now ready for round 2.Hope to get at least 3 more yrs. Dr does not want to do knee repl. until after 50yrs old

Comment from: jody dickens, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 01

painfree injection and normally lasts 3to4 months

Comment from: Toadress, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 07

Other than having 5 weeks of injections, it was a good experience twice. Within 2 months, I was pain free.... then I tried to do what I used to do (kneel to do exercises) and had a flare up. So I have just completed a second set of shots. So far, everything is going well.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 01

My lateral leg felt like acid was eating my nerves and flesh. I've had rapid muscle atrophy following the shots as well. If you start to feel pain from this, consider the fact that you may be allergic. My doctor dismissed my reaction and it cost me. My knee joint feels good, but it wasn't worth a month of intense agony.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 11

I was having great pain walking as I had no cartilage and arthritis in my right knee. I was given steroid injection and then later given the three injections if SYNVISC. I have not had my knee feel this good in fifteen years.

Related Reading: arthritis | synvisc

Comment from: Bohdana, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 27

I just had a Synvisc One injection in each knee today. I just read many comments from people who thought the injections were so painful that they would not ever have them again. My experience was the opposite. Compared to the chronic knee pain I have the injection pain was like nothing! Do not let their warnings stop you from trying something that could give you relief. It does take 30 days to to see if it's effective so I'm hoping for the best. I'll let you know when I know! Good luck to you ....

Related Reading: synvisc | knee pain

Comment from: airforce7, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had OA in both knees. It took 3 sets of injections (9 shots in each knee) at 6 month intervals to get lasting relief. I had the same doctor and he was excellent in giving the injections. The last treatment was over 1 year ago and I have no complaints. I am able to walk 5 miles almost every day and then sleep at night with no pain in my knees.

Comment from: 505050, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 20

I had 3 injection in both kness back in Oct 08 it has givin me great relif from serious knee pain and has givin me the ability to continue working with very little pain. It workes for me.

Comment from: chan52, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had knee pain for several years,tryed synvisc did not work for me.

Related Reading: synvisc

Comment from: ctownsend6, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 25

I was having terrible knee pain at night. After my very first injection the pain subsided completely. I know I will still need knee replacement surgery but this injection pushes it off into the future. Almost a month after my last injection and my knee still feels great...! Most of all I can sleep at night.

Comment from: Benly, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 25

Ever since I had the injections, I’ve had severe pain off and on, sometimes for hours. My knee is now always tender where my tendons and ligaments fasten. Before the shots, I had a pinch that would happen on the inside of my knee as I took each step. After the first shot swelling of the lower leg started. Within a few days of the second shot, my whole knee was sore. After the third shot, I started losing bending range in my knee. After two months, I still had severe pain. An MRI was performed and it exposed a torn meniscus right where I was suffering the pinching sensation on the inside of my knee. That has since been repaired, and the pinch has subsided, but all the other pain is still haunting me. It has been four months since the shots and six weeks since the surgery. I have yet to gain back my flexibility and I have the same pain that started after the shots and before the surgery. The doctor continues to say, "give it time."

Related Reading: torn meniscus

Comment from: Paul, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 13

Was just injected with Synvisc one yesterday, hurt like hell! In both knees, could not bend my knees , and could hardly walk, still hurts today but a little better. I 'am told it takes a month before I will see it's effect. I don't think I would go through this again!

QUESTION

What joints are most often affected by osteoarthritis? See Answer
Comment from: clymer7686, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 73 yrs old with damaged knees and OA. I have had my 2nd shot for the 1st series of 2. So far they have been wonderful and I can walk without a cane and do light tasks. My last shot in this series is June 4, 09. Hoping for more great relief.

Comment from: wolf, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 11

I was receiving Synvisc injections once a week for 3 weeks for Meniscus tear. After a 2 week pause I got 3 more injections over 3 week.It reduces my pain for about 3-4 days after an injection. Still experience sharp pain with certain knee movements and even when in bed. The injections are almost painless for me. Synvisc seems to alleviate pain for a short time, but did not cure the cause of my pain. I did not observe any side effects. I also have Polyarthritis, polymyalgia and had surgery in my other knee to repair a comminuated kneefracture, ACL and MCL. Now both of my knees are not working properly and I am in constant pain.

Related Reading: synvisc

Comment from: PSUTENNIS, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 25

AFTER MY 3RD TREATMENT, I BEGAN HAVING SIGNFICANT KNEE SWELLING, SO MUCH SO THAT I COULD BARELY WALK. MY KNEE WAS DRAINED OF 60 ML (2 TIMES) AND A COURSE OF ORAL STEROIDS TO REDUCE SWELLLING. NOTHING HELPED. I HAVE NOW GONE 6 WEEKS WITH ABSOLUTELY NO RELIEF; MY SURGEON GIVES ME NO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND HAS NO INTEREST IN ASSISTING FURTHER. I HAD NO IDEA THAT THIS DRUG WAS SO TOXIC; I AM A TENNIS PLAYER, UNDER 50, AND SERIOUSLY CONCERNED ABOUT THE DAMAGE THIS TREATMENT HAS INFLICTED ON MY KNEE. IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK; THE PAIN WITH THE INJECTIONS IS MUCH WORSE THAN THE PAIN IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING SURGERY.

Comment from: Jeanne, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 05

I have osteoarthritis of the knees. A month ago I had the Syn-Visc one injections and now I am in more pain than I ever had before. It is very difficult to walk after getting up from my bed and chair. The pain is intolerable.

Related Reading: osteoarthritis

Comment from: slotoo, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 10

After reading reviews I was close to terrified of getting this. The first set of shots (both knees) were totally different with both knees. Left one, no pain. Right one hurt like the dickens. No after effects though. Somewhat better range of motion in both. 2nd shot got Dr. to numb the right knee and nothing for the left. This time no pain in either. Range of motion getting better and knees don't complain as much when getting up from a chair/stairs,etc. Third shot today. Same routine as second. No problems. Dr. said left knee was easier as I had had surgery on that knee before so the port required for the surgery thins down the knee and the shot goes in and gets delivered easier. At this point would do it again. We'll see how long it lasts. Best thing... I can go out to eat, sit for three hours and get straight up from the table and start walking. Could not do that before the shots, even with cortisone.

Related Reading: cortisone