Synvisc-One

Comment from: wallacemathteach, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 30

I read the reviews two nights ago after I had received Synvisc One in my left knee. I have no cartilage left and have exhausted all other options. The reviews made me nervous. It was too late to turn back. My knee was uncomfortable after the shot (felt like a wedge of rubber was stuffed in my knee joint). But I kept telling myself, you've gone from no cartilage to what amounted to full cartilage. 1st day was uncomfortable, 2nd day was better, and today, the 3rd day I have spent most the day without my unloader brace and have experienced almost no discomfort. I am a weenie when it comes to shots and this one wasn't something to sneeze at. Will I do it again? If today is any indication of what's to come, then my answer is absolutely. I am 54 and am not ready to go through a knee replacement. If I can hold off for another 2-3 years, then great. Make sure your dr. uses numbing spray and novacaine. Once your knee is numb, the shot is still uncomfortable because of the pressure. For me, it was 6 ml. of liquid going into a non-existant space. It was like "jacking" the bones apart. I won't lie, the first two days were uncomfortable (but less painful than before the shot) and my knee felt really wierd. But given that my knee was excruciatingly painful to walk on before the shot, I didn't have anything to lose. All things are relative!

Related Reading: synvisc

Comment from: mt959, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 07

This is the 5th time I have had the one shot of Synvisc in each knee. I have moderate arthritis on the left and more severe on the right. Most of my pain is right behind the knee caps - clicking, instability, pain, etc. Getting the shots, I have had doctors use cooling spray to numb before and doctors who haven't. To be honest, it doesn't make much difference. The injection pain I experience on the left knee is tolerable. The injection pain on the right knee is worse than getting a tooth drilled during childbirth. That being said, I can tolerate it for the time it take to complete the injection (barely). Afterwards, it takes me about 10 minutes before I can stand and it is generally painful for 24-48 hours. Ice, ibupropen and rest. The pressure is what hurts the most in my knees. Both feel like balloon about to burst. 24 hours later, a little sore but much more stable and they feel stronger. 48 hours later, left feels about 98% healed, right knee is about 70%. After 5-7 days, it is all good. For the 6-9 months of relieve I get from the shots, it is well worth it for me.

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: NoMoreBadDocs, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 25

It's been 5 weeks after the 3rd injection and I have never had this much pain before. I can barely walk (use a walker now). I questioned the doctor about doing the 3rd one since my knee was swollen and bruised from the week before injection. He had trouble finding the joint and instead of stopping, he just kept poking and I really don't think he got it into the joint. My knee is hard to the touch on the outside and it has caused pain throughout my entire body from not being able to rest or walk correctly. Pain meds don't help it. And each day, it seems to get worse. I regret it and wish I could turn back time. Nobody should have to have this much pain with something that is supposed to help them. My knee pain was just a inconvenience before and just sitting to rest would help ease it...but now it's 24/7 pain. I have bone on bone osteoarthritis.

Related Reading: knee pain | osteoarthritis

Comment from: dyrc, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 25

Medication caused painful swelling, joint instability, muscle spasms of lower leg. Didn't have this much pain from OA as this has inflicted. Thought this would help but definately not worth it to me. Who would want this much pain? Natural childbirth was less painful! Extremely unhappy. Spouse had to take time off to help me do activities of daily living. Been on steroids to help with side effects and still not doing well.

Related Reading: muscle spasms

Comment from: Natasha, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 24

My pain specialist painlessly injected my right knee with Synvisc One 4 days ago and I started getting immediate relief. Not 100%, but better. I understand it can take up to 4 weeks for the full effect. My reason for this review, however, is because of SO many people claiming that the injection is extremely painful. My Dr. used an ultrasound to find the correct location to administer the drug, after "numbing" the knee from the inside out! I felt no pain, only a "full" feeling. I wonder if some of the reviewers had Drs who a) didn't use an ultrasound, b) didn't use a numbing agent (into the joint), &/or c) didn't drain any existing fluid from the knee prior to injection Synvisc One. While it is expected that some may have an allergy to the drug, and others may experience a rare side effect, I believe that the pain & problems that many here have experienced may be their Dr's fault. I won't hesitate to have another injection of Synvisc One, and will continue to recommend the injection to others with the warning/advice listed above.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: deer hunter, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 12

My husband had knee surgery and within months was hurting again and limping really bad. Did the Synvisc shot and within one month was totally pain free. Had no trouble with the shot, no pain, no stiffness. He is very active and can anything he wants pain free. He will take the shot again when needed.

Related Reading: synvisc

Comment from: gardenqueen, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 11

CAUSED SWELLING AND PAIN AND I HAVE A RASH FROM HIP TO ANKEL. My knee just gives out and I can fall very easy. I cant belive how much it hurts! Regular Synvisc worked very well. I got a email from synvisc telling abought synvisc one. So I ask my Dr. My mistake !!! So not worth It !

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: HBee, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 03

I have been having Synvisc-One injections for 6 years now in both knees and have been pleased. I had my yearly one a week ago and I am so regretting it. within 3 hours of the injections I became sick feeling like I was going to throw up with cold sweats that continued all day into the night. The swelling and pain kept me bed ridden for 2 days because I was unable to standup from a seated position without help. The swelling is less but I am unable to hardly walk or drive where I don't feel pain and having continuing cramps and spasms in both knees. As I said I was doing this as yearly maintenance and was walking over 12,000 steps a day. Now, I am lucky if I walk 1,200. Called the doctor and they said they've never heard of this! I am scared to death this is permanent or it is going to cause me to get knee replacements. Unreal that after 6 years this happens...makes me wonder if something wasn't changed in the formula that I am reacting to.

Related Reading: synvisc-one

Comment from: Chardannie, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 14

After reading the reviews, I was very nervous about getting the synvisc one injection for my arthrosis of the knee as many reviews expressed excrutiating pain upon being injected. My doctor used a smaller needle than the one provided and I felt only a slight pinch and light pressure. Feeling great. Please don't get discouraged when reading some of the reviews as complaints usually come from people who have experienced negative results. Those with good results rarely take the time to provide feedback.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 07

Damaged knee at work, old injury with 2 previous surgeries. Could scarcely walk when I consulted surgeon and had MRI and Xrays - mencipis gone. He advised knee replacement but suggested I try the injection. Felt the difference almost immediately. Mountain walking is a thing of the past but back in gym fulltime and no limp or pain. Almost six months now. My work entails 1000 stairs plus each day and can handle that to. In short its very effective although the injection itself is somewhat unpleasant!

Comment from: sharongladys, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 24

I've used synvisc 1 before with some side effects, but this time was excruciating! Doc said severe allergic reaction. 3 weeks later I am still in severe pain, both knee's, unable to bare weight for any extended time. doing water therapy, icing, resting. stretching often as tolerated, swollen.Doc says will get better in time. How much time? Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help me!!!

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 14

I have got a couple of injections every 6 month. No need of pain medication after the injection. Work ability and walking without pain.

Comment from: mich2ok, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 13

51 yo female athlete-My OS recommended this to relieve my OA symptoms. What a nightmare! The first injection was relatively pain free but the other knee was not so fortunate! I had immediate pain and muscle spasms and within 9 hours I had swelling in that knee by the following morning I was in MISERY! Within 24 hours BOTH knees were involved, I ended up on steroids,muscle relaxants (to help with the spasms),and narcotics for the intense pain! I had both knees drained for 50-60 cc of fluid and both injected with steroids!I used crutches to steady my gait and ended up in PT since my muscles were in spasms for so long that walking on my own was not safe. A few nights after I had them drained I experienced pain when I rolled over in bed. (The knee joint was still inflammed and unstable) To my astonishment I had torn my meniscus and lost cartilage on my tibia. I just had surgery to repair the meniscus and microfracture my tibia. I will now spend multiple weeks on crutches and who knows how long in PT. Not to mention that this is all coming out of my pocket!!! I also have residual muscle involvement causing my quad tendon to be tight and sore. All of this result of the Synvisc One. Instead of a summer vacation hiking and running with my husband I'm strapped to machines to keep me from developing scar tissue and cold compression unit to help with the pain,narcotics for the intense pain of having bone on bone and more PT with the hope I may at least avoid a total knee in the near future.

Related Reading: muscle spasms

QUESTION

What joints are most often affected by osteoarthritis? See Answer
Comment from: teach411, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 25

I have been taking Syn visc 3 for 4 years and Syn visc 1 for four years. The one shot is more convenient. The down side is the first three days are miserable and painful. The shot doesn't hurt. But an hour later you will feel it. I take an anti inflamatory 20 mins before the shot to reduce swelling, which is what causes the pain. I put ice packs on immediately after the shot. I go straight home.(Once i went to the movies after the shot, & couldn't get out of the seat when it was over.They had to get me a wheel chair and roll me out! Avoid embarassment, go home) Ice every 20 mins. have everything you need around you, crutches, pain meds, mild laxative (the meds will constipate you), buy a raised toilet seat from med supply b/c you can't bend your knees once they start to swell. You can't climb stairs.You may run a fever. have your meals prepared ahead if you live alone. I had bi lateral arthroscopic surgery 10 years ago, worst decision I ever made.Now I have no cartilage. I am an athletic, 67 year old woman who has been exercising 3-4 times a week all my life. this shot reduces me to tears for the first 36 hours, but it allows me to maintain my lifestyle. It works for about 8 months.

Related Reading: fever

Comment from: JGould, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 27

Had first injection of Synvisc One in July of 2010. Injection was easy, relatively pain free, and quick. I've had effective pain relief for 1 year with 85% pain reduction in use and elimination of night pain. I've had a second injection today, 7/27/2011 again with no pain during the procedure and am looking forward to another year of incredible pain reduction. Previously had used cortisone injections with slight pain reduction for only several weeks.

Related Reading: synvisc | cortisone

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 14

I have moderate OA in my left knee that was causing me so much pain that I couldn't walk without a brace and was starting to need a cane, and was in pain with every step. After the first Synvisc One injection, my knee hurt a lot for three weeks and then the pain went away and the knee was dramatically better. I had my second shot today, four months later, and have been almost entirely pain free for those four months. I feel this has given me my life back and I am so very happy to have had the opportunity to use Synvisc. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Comment from: eb, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 28

Since having this injections a week and a half ago, I've had 2 trips to the ER to remove excess fluid accompanied by pain and muscle weakness. The packaging says notify your doctor if you experience pain and swelling, but when I reported the side effects, everyone was baffled including the ER staff, and didn't know how to treat me or how to reverse the swelling. I then called the Syndics One help line to no avail. The rep didn't have a solution other than telling me to wait it out and it may go away.

Comment from: Dogwoman, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 10

I had the shot 5 years ago on left knee and it took 6 weeks for me to recover completely from injection. I had horrible swelling from this first shot and did not want to have another. After 6 weeks the shot worked for 5 years. When it started to hurt again and I had pain in both knees my surgeon did not want to do arthroscopy. Synvisc was my only option. I agreed to have single shot to both knees. I am very active and slightly over did it my 1st week last time. This time I have made an appointment with the couch and an ice pack. I have had minimal swelling. I do not plan to go to the gym for at least another week and will transition into it. I had my shot 3 days ago. Have a little buckle to right knee so jury is still out on 2nd shot. I got this shot 8 weeks prior to a dance event giving me plenty of time to heal. Do not get shot and plan to be active immediately. I hope to get at least a year out of this shot and will update if it does not work.

Comment from: kshurgan, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 30

Previously I had the 5 and 3 shot series but switched to the single shot. It's been 9 months and I take advil on bad days but am very happy with the results. I'm 67 and very active and am avoiding knee replacement.

Comment from: Penny, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 14

One month ago this product would have received a 5 star rating from me...but not today. Had the synvisc 1 shot twice before in my right knee with great results.The last shot (along with a 10 lb weight loss) lasted for over a year. On Tuesday I got the shot, by 9 pm on Wednesday my knee was swollen, sore and non weight bearing. Thus I could not walk. A trip to the ER lead to an overnight of iv morphine and toradol. The following morning my BP was 83/48 which lead to a 1000cc fluid infusion. When my knee was finally drained of 75cc's of fluid (6 of which were the costly synvisc) I had some improvement but I still needed crutches. My condition was termed "pseudo sepsis." I am a RN and constantly on my feet. Not only was this a hellish ordeal but now I am missing work. I will not go back until I am 100%. I will never do this again nor would I recommend it even though it worked the first two times. When I see my orthopedic doctor next week he will get an earful. The possibility, even remote, of this happening to another person is beyond the pale. If you are seriously considering this product, good luck. Just please READ, READ, READ!

Related Reading: synvisc | morphine | toradol

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 22

After having AS on both knees and living with continued knee pain, my OS suggested Synvisc 1. I had the first injection in my right knee just over a year ago. A little sting from the numbing needle, but no pain at all from the big one. Relief was immediate and continued from day one. I had the left knee done 2 months later with same result. Unfortunately my relief only lasted for between 4 and 5 months and pain gradually returned. At six month mark had right knee injected a second time with same results as first and yesterday had my left knee injected for second time....again with same results. My OS told me I need both knees replaced and may qualify for a partial knee replacement, but this treatment is buying me time meanwhile. I would not hesitate to get them again. No pain from injection, or post injection and other than a slight "full" feeling in my knee immediately afterward, no side affects. The knee that was injected yesterday morning feels normal and pain free now.

Related Reading: knee pain | synvisc

Comment from: myshel, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 07

I read all the reviews off of here & I didn't know what to think, they scared me. Had the shot & no problem. I even walked home 6 blocks after having it done. I just came home & iced it off & on all day, no pain pills needed. My knee feels great as of now,I just hope it last 6 months. I would do this again.

Comment from: oilman, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been diagnosed with a meniscus tear as well as osteoarthritis in my knee. Cortisone shots were effective but not long lasting. Dr. suggested SynVisc. My insurance approved 3 injection over 3 weeks. Last injection was Dec. 5, 2014 and I have been relatively pain free and much more mobile since. I am approaching the 6 month point, the time this material is expected to give relief. So far I am very pleased. I work outdoors, in an industrial environment requiring climbing etc.

Related Reading: osteoarthritis | cortisone | synvisc

Comment from: buffchick, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 27

I had been receiving Hyalgan (1 shot in each knee for 5 weeks) and having great success. Synvisc One was recommended to me by a friend so I tried it. EXTREMELY painful injections. Hobbled out of the office after waiting 15 minutes before I could stand. Still can't fully bend my knees due to continued swelling and pain... and it's now 2 weeks later. NEVER again! I'm going back to Hyalgan because I have no pain afterwards and can get on with my activities immediately.

Related Reading: hyalgan

Comment from: linda, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 05

Has lasted 10 months and still pain free