Tamiflu

Comment from: B, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 30 years old and I was prescribed Tamiflu after being diagnosed with the flu. I felt better within a few hours of taking it. I was amazed. I was really sick and was worried that I may have to be hospitalized. I had been running a high fever and could hardly breathe. The only downside were the side effects. They were pretty bad. It left a terrible taste in my mouth and made everything I ate and drank taste terrible, like the medicine. I also felt very strange. I was very anxious, and had tense muscles with random tremors. My vision was a little blurry and everything just seemed to look weird or different. It is hard to explain, but it was very uncomfortable. I also felt confused a lot and I was having very strange thoughts, sometimes disturbing. This all may sound strange, but it is true. I want this to get out there so people can hear from someone that has had an unpleasant experience. I have been taking it for four days and still have one day left (two pills). I think I am going to skip the last two doses because I feel much better (from the flu symptoms) but I am growing more anxious the longer I take the medicine. Looking back, I'm not sure if I would have taken it knowing what I know now. I was feeling so strange that I did some research and discovered all this stuff about Tamiflu. It definitely made me feel better, but I traded that for a few days of semi-madness. I think I'll just get a flu vaccine next time so I don't have to worry about it. If I still get sick, I might just take my chances without the Tamiflu. I feel like I am on some kind of bad drug and I am close to losing control. Not a good feeling. Plus it cost me $100 for ten pills. I hope this helps anyone who may have questions or curiosities.

Related Reading: tamiflu | flu | fever

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 13

Tamiflu was prescribed for our 6 year old son after having been diagnosed with the flu. He received his first does around noon the first day and his second dose approx. 9 hours later. About an hour or so after his second dose, while he was asleep, he woke up extremely confused and disoriented. He kept saying that things were flying around his head and that there were strings in his head. He babbled and rambled on and off for most of the night and at times was very scared. Needless to say, we discontinued the Tamiflu and will unfortunately just have to let the flu run it's course. We were very alarmed and disappointed with the results of the Tamiflu and would not consider using it again.

Comment from: Tamiflu aka Tamipoison, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 06

I was prescribed Tamiflu for influenza. On day three, I was admitted to the hospital for hallucinations, delirium, paranoia, anxiety, insomnia, vomiting, headache, and abdominal pain. The influenza itself is awful, but cannot compare to the horrific side effects of Tamiflu. I cannot believe this poison is allowed to be sold. I will NEVER touch this poison ever again!

Related Reading: anxiety | insomnia | headache

Comment from: ANGRY MOM, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 09

My daughter was given tamiflu for early treatment of the flu. She took 3 doses and had to hospitalized due to her liver function test being almost triple the normal and she had a very depressed white blood cell count. the leaflet they give in the package does not say anything about these side affects but the Roche laboratories website for tamiflu has them listed adviseing that they did not find these symptoms in their trials but these were given to them by doctors. My daughters doctor and a specialist were called in to figure out what was causing the problem. They had never been told of these affects until i showed them the printout from the website they contacted Roche and i have contacted an attorney. Do not use this product the side affects are much worse than what they tell you and way worse than the flu.

Related Reading: tamiflu | liver

Comment from: teacher, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 25

I ended up in an ambulance and emergency room on my third morning of Tamiflu. I had climbed three flights of stairs and couldn't catch my breath after 20 minutes. I finally collapsed and could not move my arms and legs or urinate on command for 3 hours. I thought I had had a stroke. It scared me to death. It is now two weeks later and I am still very short of breath and am now taking the elevator.

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: bizzymom23, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 04

The side effects from this drug are horrible and a bit disturbing. Although I was feeling some better after the 2nd dose I just don't know if I can handle another dose or not. This is the third day I've taken it but the side effects seem to be getting worse...vomiting, dizziness, being whacked out of my gourd, feeling kinda like I was having an out of body experience, changes in my breathing when I was able to sleep, and a terrible headache which isn't listed as a side effect but I wonder if it is. I just feel funny all over. I did take the flu shot both last year and this year as well and have had the flu 2 years in a row. Last year I didn't take tamiflu because it was so expensive and dr. though it may be a little late for it to be as effective...started taking this time within 24 hours but I'm thinkin I'd rather have just toughed it out.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: concerned father, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 04

DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS MEDICATION. We were given a prescription for our 9 year old daughter who had the flu. Within minutes of taking tamiflu, she would throw up. We quit after 4 attempts. This medication is a royal rip off. Doctors should be scolded for encouraging patients to take this junk medication.

Related Reading: flu | tamiflu

Comment from: Flightmedic, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 14

I'm am a flight paramedic who was diagnosised with the flu 1 1/2 days after onset of symptoms. I was prescribed tamiflu by my request due to having an advanced certification test the following day and not wanting to reschedule. I started the dose that morning and had the nights dose follows by the morning dose. At this point I became really confused and had trouble speaking. I was unable to recall formulas needed for the test. I could write only 4 of about thirty I had memorized. I had to reschedule the test. Day three started the muscle cramps, uncontrolled tremors and sever fatigue. When sleeping I had vivid dreams of how to hang myself from our roof. This followed by various other night mares. Day 4 is anxiety beyond anything I have ever imagined. Day five is tomorrow. I will finish the medication to prevent a reoccurrence of the flu since it was diagnosised. Overall I do not believe I will spend the $129 again, but the drug has shortened my flu by about two to three days from past experiences. I was ok with all of the symptoms until the heart palpitations started and mimic that of a heart attack patient. Best of luck to the next person who takes this!

Related Reading: muscle cramps | tremors | fatigue

Comment from: sheri, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 15

My 13 year old son started tamiflu within 48 hours of flu symptoms and complained of nausea, dizziness and altered tastes. I started tamiflu within 24 hours of flu symptoms and had to discontinue use after 6th dose because of severe dizziness, confusion, trembling, difficulty breathing and anxiety. Could not sleep because of disturbing dreams and bed spinning sensation. Woke up to urinate and fell to floor because of disorientation and dizziness. Do not advise taking this medication, getting the full-blown flu would have been more pleasant. Called doctor and was told that I was just having a known side effect of medication and should probably not take any more of it!! I am sorry I gave this medication to my son.

Related Reading: dizziness | anxiety

Comment from: twm, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 13

I have asthma and our family always gets the flu vaccine, but this past week we have had influenza A, anyway. It happens. Anyway, I was very fearful of taking Tamiflu because of the reviews and actually did not take my daughters to the doctor to get it because of my fear. We only ended up at the doc because I thought the older one, who also has asthma, had strep, too. The doc wanted me to take Tamiflu and I felt so, so bad that I did. WOW! Within hours of taking it, my very high fever broke. With flu, I usually have fever for a week, then bronchitis, then pneumonia. This is a miracle drug to me. I only have had nausea if taking it on empty stomach. On day 3 of flu, I have hardly any congestion, which is amazing. I only wish that I had given it to my daughter who is so ill on day 4. To those saying the drug causes confusion: it might, but my 8 yr. old has NOT had Tamiflu, but she has woken up repeatedly for 3 nights with crying, whimpering, and confusion; she could not figure out how to use the towel this morning. SO, it may be the virus causing the confusion!! In other words, I did not give her Tamiflu because of fear of side effects that she ended up with anyway. Next time we will try Tamiflu with her.

Related Reading: asthma | tamiflu | fever

Comment from: Marina, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 27

After first course of antibiotics gave no relief, in bed another week, then doctor prescribed Tamiflu together with Avelon (I also had bronchitis). After 2nd day, I honestly thought I would die. Nausea, panic attacks, general feeling of not being in control of my body. I felt terrible throughout, but finished the 5 day course (both drugs) on Friday 14 August. Today is 27 August - until yesterday, I still battled with headaches and nausea. So far so good today, so hoping the "poison" is out of my system. I would not recommend these drugs to anyone - it's been a really frightening experience.

Related Reading: bronchitis | panic attacks

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 20

My 22 month old daughter was diagnosed with influenza B. Her first and second doses (30ml) were immediately thrown up. I ended up mixing it with her juice. Upon calling our pharmacist, she said that it is one of the major problems with this medication. My daughter was able to keep it down with juice and I started to see her feeling better within hours.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 24

I gave this medicine to my then 4 year old daughter and she feel asleep within minutes when she woke up about 30 minutes later she was halicinating and grabbing at the air as if there was something there. She was very tearful and didn't seem to know what was going on. I never gave her another does I would rather deal with two more days of symptoms than watch my preschooler behave like she is on LSD!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 15

I Took two doses and broke out in a severe rash from head to toe (itchy and swollen). This medication made the flu much worse for me.

Related Reading: rash | flu

Comment from: weesie, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 31

my 25 yr old son was given tamaflu in june when he had severe fever 104 F, severe coughing, sore throat, he took it for five days as directed, his symptoms continued, fever never broke even w/ taking tylenol, coughing grew worse, he was never given an antibiotic even on second return to dr and ended up w/ pneumonia both lungs and having to be admitted to the hospital for three days for iv antibiotic therapy and tx for pneumonia. I feel the tamaflu is worthless and his hosptialization could have been prevented if he had been given an antibotic initially. He is a healthy young man with no medical conditions that would have put him at risk for developing pneumonia. This medication is ineffective and gives people the mistaken impression they are being treated when in fact it is useless.

Related Reading: fever | sore throat | tylenol

Comment from: woodside, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 01

Took tamiflu and on the 3rd day, started with severe cough,dry throat,sweats,heart palpitations,fatigue and feeling like i didn't own my body,shaking inside,blurred vision,and the worst fatigue,just shocking,Doctor told me to keep taking it and it was just the flu in my body doing this,WRONG,felt much better when i stopped on the fourth day.Still having a cough and slight palpitations but getting better after only one day off tamiflu,i was better off just having the flu.Will NEVER take TAMIFLU again,worst experience i have ever had.Anyone considering taking tamiflu,Forget it and just save your money!!

Related Reading: tamiflu | cough | palpitations

Comment from: Christina Arvin, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 08

It works fine for me. No side effects. I tested positive for Influenza Type A. I think most people had problems with this because they should never have been prescribed it. Some said they weren't even tested for the flu, just prescribed it as a precaution. There is a difference between Influenza and "The Stomach Flu" which is really Gastroenteritis. It is expensive, I paid $117 and some change, but it was well worth it if you have the real Influenza virus. It really helps for the side effects. I'm glad I didn't listen to the pharmacist who almost talked me out of getting it. It has done wonders for me. My only side effect is it makes me really sleepy and I fall asleep almost within seconds of taking it. I love Tamiflu.

Related Reading: stomach flu | tamiflu

Published: November 13

VERY EXPENSIVE - TOOK FOR 2 DAYS - HAD TO STOP BECAUSE IT MADE MY STOMACH UPSET. DIDN'T HELP AT ALL

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 19

Even taken with food, Tamiflu made me nauseous to the point of vomitting.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 13

I was prescribed Tamiflu after 30 hours of coming down with flu symptoms . I went to urgent care after a day and a half of 101 fever, severe chills, headache, body ache and congestion. The urgent care did nasal swab test for flu and tested positive despite getting flu shot in the fall. Started on Tamiflu that evening and woke up a new woman ! Still congested but all the fever, aches and pains were gone. No side effects for me, I took along with Advil and NyQuil. I am a healthy 37 year old female .

Related Reading: tamiflu | flu | fever

Comment from: survivor, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 21

I began taking Tamiflu 48 hours after symptoms appeared. I was already feeling a tiny bit better but I started Tamiflu anyway. I had insomnia, mild abdominal cramps, but the side effects I couldn't handle anymore was ever increasing anxiety, weird dreams, and uncharacteristic anger. I stopped 3 pills shy of finishing and was sorry I didn't stop sooner. I know it doesn't effect everyone the same, but if Tamiflu is causing mental issues, stop taking.

Related Reading: insomnia | anxiety

Comment from: tammfylew, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 05

first dose alleviated severity of my sore throat and violent cough and high fever but headaches and loose stools severe with each dose; nausea has been manageable but sleep is poor and have had strange dreams; after second dose, woke up with rapid heart beat and have since developed hot rash, welts and blisters so have stopped med and will call doc. I worry about Stevens-Johnson. Have taken Benedryl. Still have flu symptoms and would rather deal with flu than this but at 62, flu can be fatal. I have not had the flu since my early thirties and have been getting yearly flu shots since the mid-1990s, including this year. I doubt I will take this again.

Related Reading: sore throat | cough | rash

Comment from: carla, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 01

I was given this for influeenza b. Please Please Please do your own research. If i got the flu again, I would deal and let it run its course. The outta know where poos that run down your leg, the endless vomiting, I'm waiting on my vision to return to normal so i can drive again. We are blessed to have good insurance but in this case that makes no difference to me. You get 10 pills, I only took 4....im fine now just waiting on my vision...just please please do your research

Comment from: Wendy, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 10

My son has been experiencing horrible side effects to this drug. Hallucinations, fatigue dizziness. WILL NEVER GIVE THIS Again. He is only 2 and it has been the worst experience.

Related Reading: fatigue | dizziness

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 05

If I could give this drug 0 stars, I would. My daughter was just released from the hospital after 5 days of battling a lovely side effect from this drug, Steven's Johnson Syndrome. I wouldn't give this to my dog! Obviously it's a major racket for Roche, and needs to be pulled from the market! Several ER doctors in our area have been advising their patients not to take it due to the horrible side effects.