Tapazole

Comment from: a guy from Maine, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 25

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and the endocrinologist prescribed Tapazole. I had a complete CBC before beginning the prescription and it was completely normal. Seven weeks later, a second CBC was done and was told to stop taking drug immediately. I now have been diagnosed with pantocytopenia, have been hospitalized, received 7th blood transfusion this week and was told I had to begin chemotherapy to try to reverse the toxic reaction to the drug. To say the least, I am angry and very unhappy that I was not told the "severe, rare risk" involved with taking this drug.

Related Reading: hyperthyroidism | tapazole

Comment from: Mickee, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 23

It,s been a wonder drug for me. I quit losing weight, my heart rate is back down to normal, my hair is growing back in ect. I shook so bad I thought I had Parkinsons. No side effects for me. My chronic depression disappeared also.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 05

I was prescribed Tapazol by a endoctronologist, Dr. Larry Cantley, in WS, NC. Bottom line, I almost died from this drug. I developed drug induced hepatitis & was told by this doctor " not to be concerned...my body was adapting to the RX". In the meantime, my urine was turning almost black, i itched horribly...even behind my eyelids. It became difficult to hold my head up, I was so weak. In addition, I became jaundiced. Had it not been for my pharmacist, I am certain I would have died from this med. He immediately recognized my symptoms as severe side effects from this medication. What I was experiencing had nothing to do with whatever condition I was being treated for. It took me 6 weeks to recover after ceasing this medication. It also turned out that I NEVER had hyperthroidism in the first place! Be extremely cautious before taking this, or any med. And, always get a second opinion...even if a "reputable" specialist makes a diagnosis.

Related Reading: hepatitis

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with 2 nodules. Within 2 weeks of starting tapazole I was sleeping much better, had more energy during the day. By three months my TSH level was improved and I was moved up to 10 mg daily. It did show less side effects by splitting the dose half AM / half PM. Now a year later my TSH is very good and I am starting to wean off the medication .... I feel very good.

Related Reading: tapazole

Comment from: gingin, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 03

thinking i might have had the flu or was out of shape, having pounding heart, significant leg muscle weakness and sweats, i went to the dr when my legs started to swell. a battery of tests were run and i have an overactive thryoid. a scan and uptake were done and confirmed grave's disease. a trip to the endocrinologist to prescribe the right dose of radioactive iodine to destroy my thryoid, resulted in a change of plans. i was given tapazole, 5 mg, two pills twice a day and rechecked a month later. labs were returning to normal. because of that i will continue taking it for the next 18 months and monitor labs with checkups. i couldn't be happier with the results: sleeping better, less tremors, pounding heart almost gone, pulse returning to normal, stronger muscles, more "withit" mentally. yea, thanks to God for this way he is providing healing.

Related Reading: flu | iodine | tremors

Comment from: pk, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 12

my daughter takes this. some strange side effects, though. swelling in her hands and eyes. i don't see that listed in the side effects, but the doctor said that edema is one of the sides effects. now i see some others that may explain some issues that she has. headaches, swollen lymph nodes, feeling like throwing up. we went to the emergency room for just those problems.

Related Reading: edema | swollen lymph nodes

Comment from: Anti-TAPAZOLE, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 08

This occured years ago, but it did happen: After taking Tapazole for only 2 to 2 1/2 months, I ended up in the hospital in isolation with no white blood cells, low red cells, failure/breakdown of immune system including bone marrow failure. My doctor specializing in hemotology only gave me 5% chance of recovery. After 15 days, I finally was able to go home, but my recovery was considered a miracle. Be very alert if you take this and insist on frequent/at least weekly blood tests to watch for severe reactions. They don't happen very often, BUT THEY DO HAPPEN.

Comment from: Joan, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 30

I've been taking this for 1 month with Lopressor (for the racing heart part). My doctor said it could take 6 months to work and I am just starting to get my energy back since he raised the dosage. I no longer have the edema either. I do still have the "sweats". My doctor has done several tests including eyes and heart because thyroid effects those too. I check up with the endrocrinologist my doctor has been working with next month. I am thankful for this medicine because any side effects are better than Graves Disease symptoms.

Related Reading: lopressor | edema

Comment from: klea9, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been on it a year. I now am off it and will be retested in 6 weeks to make sure my thyroid is working correctly. I have felt amazing on this medicine. I was terrified of all of the side effects and never really had any. I did get strep throat pretty severe but it was easy to treat. I felt a difference almost immediately after starting it.

Related Reading: strep throat

Comment from: hcc, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 09

started itching terribly with large welts after 3 weeks on 40 mg. per day. stopped taking it and needed antihistamines desperately and still itching after 5 days. now my joints are very painful and I don't know what is happening!!

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

I was on this medication for about 1 month. The doctor that prescribed it was an endocrinologist and we trusted his specialty in this area. But within a month it had wiped my white blood cell count out. I ended up hospitalized for 7 days on strong antibiotics for infections. I know it works for lots of people but make sure your doctor keep a close check especially when you first take the medicine.

Comment from: dbs910, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 05

I started with 20 mgs daily and have been reduced now alternating 5 one day and 2.5 the next. No heart palps and much better sleeping. I have been on this med for 9 months.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 30

Began taking 10 mg 1 month ago, after 1 year of being tired. Had never lost weight before, but all of a sudden I have gained 10 lbs, in a month. Slightly less tired now, still have tremors & heart palpitations. I am very upset about the weight gain. Extremely noticeable in tummy area.

Related Reading: tremors | palpitations

Comment from: purpleizzybee, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 08

Diagnosed with Graves disease in 2007. Symptoms and blood values were mild. Started on 10 mg daily of Tapazole. T3 and T4 immediately normalized by TSH was 0 for first 2 years. Added L-Carnitine and TSH rose to .05. Added Acetyl-L-Carnitine and TSH rose to 0.78. Stopped the carnitine and TSH fell again. Decreased dose to between 2.5 and 5 mg daily. TSH does not remain normal unless I add Acetyl-L-Carnitine 500 mg.

Related Reading: tapazole

Comment from: little one, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 26

started taking it 4 weeks ago. gained 7lbs in 4 days, got sore throat, and 3am night sweats so bad I needed a shower. After weight gain dropped to 1 pill a day. Then the night sweats and sore throat together. Stopped taking pill and everything disappeared. Dr. says no relation to meds.

Related Reading: sore throat | night sweats

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a long term user of Tapazole for Grave's Disease for over a decade now. In low maintenance dosages, 2.5 to 10mg risks of serious side effects are very low. Treatment is inexpensive compared to surgery or RAI, and you don't have to take weeks off from work. If you are not allergic to it, there's no science backed reason you can't keep taking Tapazole every time you relapse. finding the right doc though...that can be harder.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 27

I've been on the medication 6weeks. I don't notice much improvement yet but my doctor said it takes at least 10 weeks. Side effects are nausea, and swelling/tearing of the eyes. I am on 10mg daily. Does make me feel sleepy so I take it at night.

Comment from: gray, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 23

I have not experienced any side effects with this medication. I had lost 20 lbs in 5 months, I gained back 11 lbs in 2 months after starting the treatment.

Comment from: Simba, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 04

I have been taking this medication for nine months with few side effects; at the initial period I experienced some nausea and vomiting, which has subsided. My bowel movements returned to normal (previously, occasional diarrhea) and I began to regain some weight. Overall, this is a good way to judge weather surgery is necessary. Between taking this medication twice a day or the operating room, recovery and scarring, the pill was a no-brainer! Thank you for your enthusiasm and I hope you become well again, soon. You should see total results within a few weeks. Good Health, Simba

Related Reading: nausea and vomiting | diarrhea

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 15

I started to take this medicine three months ago and I am so tired and gained 12 pounds, which I am very upset about. Otherwise no other side effects. The cure woese than the disease? In my case; yes.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 04

I have been taking Tapazole for 4 months. It has worked well to drop my thyroid hormone levels. My doctor and I are still trying to find the right maintenance dose. I started at 30mg/day and am now at 7.5mg/day. After 3 months I experienced abnormal hair loss. I've lost about 30% of my hair and continue to loose. Hopefully the hair loss will subside. Overall the benefits of this medication out way the hair loss side effect.

Related Reading: tapazole | hair loss

Comment from: Cruisegirl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 01

I was recently diagnosed with Graves disease. Before my diagnosis, my endocrinologist was not sure that I had a thyroid problem due to lack of symptoms. The only noticeable symptom I had was loss of weight. A thyroid scan and further TSH test revealed that I have an overactive thyroid. I have been on Methimazole (10 mg) a day for a month.I am grateful that have not experienced any side effects.

Related Reading: methimazole

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

I have been on Tapazole about 2 years now. The benefits of it have outweighed the side effects. I get a little drowsy from it sometimes, but before I started on it, I thought I was going to die of a heart attack! My heart pounded all the time, and I had trouble breathing sometimes. My legs swelled and ached so bad, and my back kept going out to the point where I could not walk for over a week. Since I've been on it, none of that has happened!

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: pammy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 08

Diagnosed with Graves Disease in late December 2014. So far I'm feeling and doing much better. My hair had started thinning and falling out from the disease however since I've been taken Tapazole 10mg my hair has stopped sheading and is growing back

Comment from: anon, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 04

I have been taking 10mg of Tapazole daily for six months to treat Graves disease. I have gained 35 pounds--what I'd lost and some extra. My heart palpitations have stopped and most of the tremors. Also improved depression symptoms, decreased bowel movements, and cleared up my skin problems. I was feeling better, but the last four weeks, I've noticed increasing muscle weakness and hair loss. At least 50% of my hair has come out. Last time I had blood work done (March), the thyroid levels were "getting better." I'm going to ask about my side effects and potentially adjusting my medication dosage when the office re-opens after the holiday. The first two weeks I took the medication I had nausea about an hour after taking it. The taste of the pill is awful. It also makes me very sleepy, so I take it at night.

Related Reading: palpitations | tremors | depression