Tazorac

Comment from: Melissa_Pratt, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 27

Tazorac has been very effective for me in reducing my adult/hormonal/cystic acne...it has also radically reduced my fine lines around my mouth,eyes and on my forehead. My skintone is now even...no more blotchyness. The only drawback I experienced was the time my skin took to acclimate to Tazorac, about 6 weeks, before the redness,peeling & hyperactivity of blemishes subsided. This may be because I use the 1.0% Gel formula..which my Dermo prescribed because of my hyper-oily skin. My skin is a thousand times better than when I was using Retin-A Micro...only occasional breakouts that occur when I don't use it for two or three days. I have learned that in order to keep my skin clear & under control I must use Tazorac EVERY night.

Related Reading: tazorac | acne | retin-a micro

Comment from: FM001, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 02

I have adult acne. Almost immediately the acne was gone, my skin is clearer, softer and looks healthy. Of course, no pain, no gain as the first week or two you feel as though your face is on fire. As you use the product more, the burning dissipates to almost nothing. I would use it even if it did not dissipate as the results are AMAZING and I'm extremely happy.

Comment from: aculliverm, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 31

I have been using Tazorac for the past 5 years and nothing else works as well for me as Tazorac. I have cystic acne and have tried everything under the sun- prescription and OTC- and this is the only topical medication that really works for me in reducing and preventing the cystic acne. It comes in a cream and gel formula. I like the cream better because the gel is too drying and made my skin flake-up even though I have oily skin. And one tube lasts a long time, so, for me, it is worth the money.

Related Reading: cystic acne

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 29

I have been using this for a years and I no longer have acne. It takes a while to get used to it, very sensitive etc. However in the end it is amazing. It can be a little drying, just use a good lotion.

Comment from: ctall26, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 04

I continued using tazorac on my face for about 4 months, and all it did was make my acne much, much worse. I started getting acne all over my face in places where I hadn't even had zits before. I've been on all kinds of acne medications, and this one was by far the worst.

Related Reading: tazorac

Comment from: BePatient, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 11

I am a physician in my late 40's still struggling with both black and white heads on my nose and cheeks. As instructed by my dermatologist, I apply each nite to cleansed, dried skin after I have applied moisturizer. I Control the flaking with a gentle mechanical hand held exfoliator device purchased over the counter 3 times per week. After 2 weeks, my acne has decreased by 90%. Hang in there as the flaking decreases as time passes. Tazorac has worked wonderfully for me.

Comment from: farmallgirl, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 20

I have been using Tazorac for about 2 years now due to the systic acne that I get on my cheeks. It has worked wonders for my skin. I get compliments on my face on a regular basis. The only side effect that I have experienced is a peeling of my skin on a daily basis. I have to thoroughly wash my face before applying my makeup to get rid of the peeling skin. Also, my doctor refrained from telling me that women using this medication need to stop using it ONE year prior to having children because it can cause some serious birth defects. It will take a year for your body to completely rid itself of all traces of the medication.

Related Reading: birth defects

Comment from: jamie, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 29

I LOVE tazorac. I use it every night on my face. It did make my face feel raw for the first couple of weeks, but now its fine. My face is smoother, old acne scars are almost gone, wrinkles are gone, acne is gone. I can finally go in public without makeup and not be embarressed! My derm dr and all her staff also use it! Dr said I can get rx for 3 yrs w/o having to go in for follo up appt, which is great bc derm office is always booked up with appts. I love tazorac!!

Related Reading: scars | wrinkles

Comment from: Mom of boys, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 13

I have been using Tazorac for almost 2 years now for pigmentation, past acne scars and fine wrinkles. It works amazingly and also decreased the size of my large pores. My skin looks so much better and my doctor said that he found Tazorac works much better than Renova or other retinoids. BUT he told me to use it 1) every OTHER night, 2) apply only a pea size amount, 3) only use it with CerVe PM night time moisturizer (sold In drugstores) and 4) not to put it around the sides of the nose. That skin is too delicate. CerVe PM is the moisturizer recommended by Tazorac and my doctor. First I wash my face with sensitive skin cleanser (Fresh Soy Facial Wash) and pat dry. Then I apply CerVe PM moisturizer all over my face and wait a few minutes. Then I apply a small PEA size amount of Tazorac to my fingertip and dot it all over my forehead, cheeks and top of my nose. Then I blend into my skin. NOTE: do not put on the delicate undereye skin, eyelids or around the nose! I also found I can't put it on the droopy corners of my mouth (marionette lines) because they peel too much and it doesn't stop with continued use. You may find, however, that you can put it there. My skin is sensitive. And lastly, only put this on before bed every OTHER night if you are treating fine lines and wrinkles and pigmentation. On the off nights, still use CerVe PM on clean, dry skin. It contains ceramides that help rebuild your skin barrier. If you are using Tazorac, you must use a sunscreen of at least 30 EVERY day and stay out of the sun, of course, which is what caused most of my damage. Hope this helped.

Related Reading: tazorac | acne | scars

Comment from: Hopeful at last, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 21

I have never written a review in my entire life but I just had to let everybody know how much of a life saver this product has been. I am 32 years old and I never had acne problems until I turned 30. I started getting a lot of pimples around my chin, then I started developing cystic acne. I would squeeze them only to find out that you can't and was scarring my face. After going to two different dermatologists and trying numerous prescribed creams and over the counter products nothing was working. I was so self conscious about my skin that I was wearing more makeup than ever before. For the first time in my life I was using foundation to go to the gym and even the beach. The last thing my dermatologist prescribed was epiduo which at first I thought I was going to run the same luck as with other creams because the first week i got two new big painful pimples but they dried up pretty fast. However, I was left with ugly brownish scarring that was not going away with anything. Then, my dermatologist gave me tazorac. This cream was a miracle! After only three days of using it, my scars started to disappear right before my eyes. My doctor warned me about developing sensitivity to sunlight and some irritation. She recommended to apply very little amount, every other day (only at night) at first and work my way up to a pea size every night, avoid getting too much sun, stay away from tanning beds, use moisturizer and sunblock. So far, my skin is not getting irritated. But honestly, after all I went through I can deal with all of those side effects as long as my skin clears up and I can feel good about my skin again because I was just losing hope before I started using tazorac. I am now using epiduo in the morning and tazorac at night and so far it is working wonderfully. I am looking forward to throwing away my foundation. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Related Reading: cystic acne | epiduo | tazorac

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 05

The bad: Expensive, skin gets worse before it gets better, sensitivity to sunlight, super dry skin The good: Gets rid of acne AND acne scaring!!! After the first month of two my skin transformed and now is as clear as it was when I was a child. The confidence I gained from my skin being near flawless is worth every single bad thing Tazorac has caused me.

Related Reading: dry skin

Comment from: Penny, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 02

I am 44 year old female, and I have Acne that is associated with hormonal changes that is mostly on the lower part of my face and under my neck. I had a terrible breakout this summer and this is the only medication that seem to be working. My skin is no longer rough and the whitehead and cystic acne is getting less after each use, I am also taking minocycline 100mg orally and using prascion cleanser. I saw results after the first week my skin is much softer and the no more cystic acne, the whiteheads are taking a longer time to go away. The tazorac cream is better because it does not cause a lot of drying like the gel from what I have read. I only experienced sensitivity in the first week. I like the results so far.

Related Reading: acne | minocycline | tazorac cream

Comment from: Booper, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 08

I was basically using it to control my extremely oily skin and occasional breakouts - it's all the time, all seasons. I was on Retin-A for almost 2 years before recently switching. Taz (so far) has been the best. It's only been a few weeks but I already notice a difference. Knock on wood, I haven't had the "purging" yet (bad outbreak before it gets better) - but I've also been using the clarisonic for about 5 months so maybe my pores were cleaned out. Also, I use Benzaclin in the morning, so hopefully any bacteria that is being brought to the surface is being killed by the benzaclin. Anyway, after washing it off the very first morning, I noticed my skin actually felt softer. That was nice. One weird side effect - I've been rubbing it on every night, everywhere EXCEPT my upper lip. My upper lip is the only spot that's peeling?? That seemed strange to me, otherwise, no side effects. At night, I wash (using the clarisonic and mario badescu glycolic cleanser), use a moisturizer and let that sink in for like an hour, then I use the tazorac before bed. In the morning, wash with the clarisonic and cleanser and use benzaclin, then moisturizer and makeup. Again, no complaints so far. Hope this helps!

Related Reading: retin-a | benzaclin

Types of Psoriasis: Medical Pictures and Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 16

I have taken tazorac for about a month now along with an oral prescription and it has worked well for me.I have acne and it is improving very well.

Related Reading: tazorac | acne

Comment from: Mes1517, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 06

Started using this in November 2014, my skin has been 100% clear for a few weeks now. Initially I had horrible breakouts, worse than I've ever had, and my skin was red, dry, and peeling. This lasted probably 1-2 months, and it slowing started clearing up and I was left with mostly scarring. In January is when I really noticed is clearing up and now my skin is breakout and scar free after 4 months of use. My regime is CeraVe moisturizing cleanser in the AM followed by a topical antibiotic and CeraVe moisturizer. In the evening I use the same cleanser followed by the Tazorac cream. I will occasionally use Lush Mask of Magnaminty in the evening instead of the Cerave, which has really helped in keeping my skin clear. I use that about once a week. This product scares a lot of people off with the initial purge, but it is definitely worth it in the end. Just have to stick with it and take it slow so your skin can adjust.

Related Reading: tazorac cream

Comment from: Vain Girl, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

Too strong for me. If you follow the usage instructions and your skin is tingling and a little itchy that's okay, but if it is burning, red, peeling and tight like a bad sunburn discontinue use. If you do experience burning, soak a wash cloth in 1 part cold milk and 1 part cold water and use as a compress and only wash with warm water and a mild cleanser, nothing else until you're back to normal. It's probably going to take a whole week to undue the damage caused by just two nights of application.

Related Reading: sunburn

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 12

I was prescribed for this medication by the Derm for acne and brown spots.I have only been using it for almost two weeks.I can already see some results.The med makes my skin looks like it is dry. I just use a moisturizer.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 23

I am using this medication for adult acne and hormonal acne. I have been using it for just at 3 months and there isn't much improvement at all. I am calling my dermatologist to request a change. It wasn't worth the money. should have insisted on Retin-A. Worked much better when I used it years ago. Trusted the new derm with something new. calling today to request the Retin-A.

Related Reading: retin-a

Comment from: Jasaa, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 19

I was prescribed this medication, but my doctor first gave me 4 of the tiny sample tubes to try with the strict instructions that each of the teensy sample tubes should be made to last at least a week. Meaning that it should be applied very sparingly. A regular sized tube lasted me almost 6 months. Maybe some doctors aren't instructing their patients on proper dosage. They wouldn't hand you a bottle of pills with only the instructions 'take some of these', so why they wouldn't take the time to instruct their patients on proper usage is beyond me. That said, I have had absolutely amazing results from this medication. No issues with dryness, and I am able to use a tanning bed with no issues (I do limit facial exposure tho). Before using this medication I'd tried everything I could get OTC because my acne was so painful. I couldn't be happier with my results.

Comment from: della, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 25

I have used it for approx. 3 yrs, and my adult acne sometimes goes away completely, but then comes back hardcore. I still get cysts here and there, but I wish it would work better because I can't take accutane. They need to go back to the lab and create a better product, in my opinion. Until then, I'm stuck like millions of others :(

Related Reading: accutane

Comment from: clr, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 11

I have been using this medication for scaly dry skin and the result has been great. Only a small amount goes a long way. The result is very similar to that of the retin a from prior years.

Related Reading: dry skin

Comment from: GGarciaPrescott, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 20

I am 54 years old and have been using Tazorac 0.1% Gel for about 3 months. Before I started using this product which was recommended by my Dermatologist; my skin tone was very uneven, minor brown spots, large pores, previous acne scaring, fine lines around eyes and mouth and redness around my nasal area and still having some cystic acne. Since using the Tazorac my skin has improved 110%. The comments I have been getting from people are you look amazing and what have you been doing? Fortunately, I did not experience any of the drying side effects and maybe that is contributed to using Oil of Olay with SPF15 for sensitive skin all my adult life. I wish I had known about this product in my teenage years and for my childrens teenage years. I highly recommend Tazorac and find it easy to use daily.

Related Reading: tazorac | acne | cystic acne

Comment from: Nicky Samuel, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 08

This product has worked wonders for me. I'm a 32 year old female with severe acne. Now my face is totally spot free and all in 2 months. Itching mostly, but never burning or peeling. I love it!

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 19

Had very mild but persistent acne. Used Tazorac for 13 weeks, resulting in severe, cystic acne. Never had cystic acne before, maybe just a coincidence. This was 3 years ago and I still have to be on an antibiotic to keep skin clear. Wished I'd never heard of Tazorac.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 25

I'm an african american light skin adult female. My dermatologist prescribe this medication because I had white heads under the skin. He said the medication would cause my skin to exfoliate and that way the white heads would come out. I had negative results. It burned my skin to the point where it hurt for water to touch my skin and it was also painful to use a wash cloth to wash my face. Use with caution.

QUESTION

Psoriasis causes the top layer of skin cells to become inflamed and grow too quickly and flake off. See Answer