Tessalon

Comment from: maryf, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 28

They work GREAT!!! My first one stopped the cough!Seasonal sinus infection/post nasal drip, nagging, embarrassing, nonproductive cough spasms! Horrible! Nothing works but Tussionex, but that's too strong except at night! The new NP at my Dr's was about to prescribe codeine cough syrup (doesn't work). When I mentioned 'spasms', her face lit up and she asked if I'd ever tried Tessalon Perles. I had, probably 10 years ago, but thought they were off the market, forgot about them! Basically, they anesthetize cough reflex. Don't know why they aren't prescribed more. My husband remembers asking for them once, and his Dr. gave codeine instead! These are non-narcotic. Minimal side effects. Guess it depends on the type of cough, but this is a miracle drug for me!

Related Reading: cough | sinus infection | tussionex

Comment from: BamaLady5400, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 03

I have been so sick from a bacterial infection and strep throat.The coughing was pure torture.I couldn't sleep or eat.My P.A. prescribed Tessalon for my It's like a miracle,the coughing has stopped,but I do feel like I'm drunk,and it's difficult to concentrate,it's hard to walk a straight line.But that's the only side effect.If this happened again,I will be asking for this.I love it

Related Reading: strep throat | tessalon

Comment from: misphooey, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 08

drowsiness for sure, this about knocks me out and i'm only on the 100mg; but it does work for my coughs. I went from nonstop debiliating coughs to a few coughs.

Comment from: haley123, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 02

Had a severe cough due to upper respiratory infection. Also, previously had used for cough resulting from a post-nasal drip due to sinus infection.

Comment from: obe wan, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 10

Worked Excellent, No Side Effects or Drowsiness.

Comment from: dn, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 11

Best cough suppressant I have ever used. No drowsiness, no bad taste. A freind recommended it and my doctor had to look it up. Been available for years, but no one prescribes any more.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 11

I was coughing so hard that I couldn't stop pissing my pants, underwear, furniture, etc. The codeine syrup didn't touch it. I was down to my last pair of clothing when I begged for a prescription to be called in. The doc on call chose the pearls and it totally saved me. I didn't feel drugged, I still coughed some, but I was able to remain clothed. The pants stayed dry. Woo Hoo! GO PEARLS!

Related Reading: codeine

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 01

My Doctor has been nice enough to let me have refills to make sure i have this when I need it. It works great and without the (tiredness) you get with the codine syrups. Also works great for that post nasal drip (tickle) in the back of your throat that can drive yu crazy.That was the orginal reason that doctor gave it to me...worked like nothing else!

Comment from: DinAZ, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 03

I have the 100mg dose as well - no drowsiness, no side effects. However, I do take them after I've eaten. My doctor said, "breakfast, lunch & dinner" so that's what I do. They're amazing.

Comment from: angela m., 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 23

i am allergic to codeine with cough syrup and was coughing so bad i couldnt breathe. my cold had turned into bronchitis and i went to the e.r. the dr. gave me this and i hadnt taken it before. it works great! awesome! i got some relief. no side effects.

Related Reading: bronchitis

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 17

I have never been able to tolerate taking liquid cough medicines, they made me very nauseous. Tessalon is the only drug that has helped to supress my wicked coughing, whether from asthma or a chest cold. It does make me sleepy, which is a welcome side effect at night.

Related Reading: cough | tessalon | asthma

Comment from: pilotmom, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 19

A chest cold gave me the worst asthma attack of my life...actually frightening. Despite asthma treatment, I kept coughing. My doctor prescribed this medicine, and it was like a miracle. I slept through the night on on dose, and have no drowsiness. Slight bad taste in my mouth, but a small price to pay.

Comment from: TexasSon, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 27

As a nagging cough was making its way around my building, I did my best to avoid it but it caught up to me. I had it for 2 weeks before visiting my physician, who prescribed me tessalon. While I thought the cough may simply run its course, it wasn't easing up a bit until after taking the tessalon for two days. By day three, the cough was practically gone.

Related Reading: tessalon

Comment from: MEM, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 01

Unfortunately, this does nothing for me. OTC cough syrup is just as effective for daytime relief. Cough syrup with codeine is the only rx that gives me nighttime relief.

Related Reading: codeine

Comment from: JPM344, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 16

I can't use codine-based cough medicine. this worked so very well! What a joy not to cough all the time.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 09

I have been prescribed this drug twice now and it did not relieve my cough. It also made my chest hurt so bad I thought I was having a heart attack.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: MsTee927, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 16

1 small pill 3 times a day for a week and my coughing stops instantly

Comment from: rupie, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 28

I believe they have taken the Tessalon Pearles off the market .That is why no one prescribes them anymore.Thats what happens when you find something that works-they usually quit making it!!! I used it off and on for years.When codeine based cough meds didn't stop my cough ,the tessalon Pearles did!!

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 14

one pill knocked me out for 10 to 12 hours! felt like a hammer hit me unfortunately. But the cough definitely was suppressed.

Comment from: salemite, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 23

I have had all kinds of cough over the years and was prescirbed everything under the sun until one time a PA gave me Tessalon Perles and I think they are great. Who would have ever dreamed that little thing would work like a charm. The big plus is you can't taste it like other cough meds. Why don't doctors prescribe these more often? I would truly like to hear the reasons behind that.

Comment from: PeppermintPatty, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a horrible case of bronchitis and was literally coughing my head off. Once I started taking this medicine I immediately stopped coughing. It is a drug that I've never heard of before, but certainly wish I had. I understand it's been around for quite a while. I highly recommend it and encourage you to ask your doctor if it is something that would work for you too.

Related Reading: bronchitis

Comment from: beadythings, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 17

Both my husband and myself were fighting this new flu that is said to be highly antibiotic resistant...we also had a bad cough with it. I ALSO suffer fom COPD. It started to help my huband after the third dose. It started to help me almost immediately. Along with the other meds I take for the chronic bronchitis and other health problems I have, this was a VERY welcome addition as it alllowed me to cough without the heavy strain and pain on my lungs, and chest wall muscles. As a result, I was able to produce more sputum when I did cough and be able to continue with whatever I was doing, with barely any need to rest after the coughing fits I have. This was prescribed after being treated for about 3 or so weeks previously with other medications. I am impressed with it veyr much and find its been a big help to my health regimine.

Related Reading: flu | cough | copd

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 16

I was given this for bronchitis and found it to be the most effective. I have tried the cough syrup with codeine and that works great for bedtime, but the Tessalon for daytime is the greatest. My last bout with bronchitis I was given the cough syrup, but luckily I still had Tessalon in the medicine cabinet.

Related Reading: bronchitis | codeine | tessalon

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 15

I all the times I have been prescribed the pearls they have never worked for me. Ever. I always toss a hissy fit when my doctor writes me a Rx for it. And he always says it works for some people and not for others. Well I'm the one it doesn't work for.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 14

This worked very well for me. It did not make me sleepy, or anything else.

FDA Logo