Tobradex Ointment

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 14

Mysterious inflammation in right eye for several days, cleared up in 24 hours with these drops although I used them for several more days! Inflammation did not seem like regular "pink eye" infection, just very red and semi-painful right eye. Did not spread to left eye. Great product!

Comment from: Penny, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 20

This medication has greatly assisted me in saving my eyes in many situations including ongoing after effects of Stevens Johnson syndrome, maintaining cornea transplants during healing, and fighting effects of steroids in the other eye also used during healing of cornea transplants.

Comment from: MsAnathema, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 24

I was prescribed this medication for both eyes, due to 'pink eye' which came on suddenly. Within 12 hours I noticed relief from the redness, itching and gritty-burning sensation. The only side-effect that I noticed is the BAD taste, which could be good for someone not wanting to eat during the holidays...

Comment from: Hectorchadwick, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 18

My doctor (eye specialists) prescribed this medication as part of the treatment for a stye on my lower eye lid.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 25

I used this med. on my daughters ear right after she had tubes put in her ears and it worked great. It not just for the eyes

Published: December 10

I had an eye infection as soon as i started my treatment it was gone! It is very expencive but worth it

Comment from: Ron, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 10

On a few occasions my Doctor has prescribed this for use in my ears when a oral antibiotic is not effective. It will penetrate into your inner ear and kill bacteria that are anaerobic. I live in an area with very bad air and am susceptible to allergies and ear infections a few times a year, especially if I get a cold. This always clears it up within 2-3 days. If I feel even a hint of my ears starting to act up I put a drop in each ear a couple of times for a day or two and it seems to clear up before getting infected.

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 11

We have no idea how this worked since the doctor put this in my mother's eye during a cornea transplant. She was charged 807.00 for one dose and Medicare refused to pay and she had to pay for the entire amount.

Comment from: Stromsp, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 22

I was prescribed this eye drop due to "pink eye." As soon as I used the drops, the inflammation and the redness in my eye decreased. After 12 hours my eye looked only bloodshot; the excessive eye watering decreased as well.

Comment from: trollchaser, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 31

my eyes were watering,turned out to be a infection,in 2 days it was cleared! on the expensive side thou.

Comment from: asdfasdf1, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 30

Can someone please comment on the effectiveness of this for severe cases of otitis externa (swimmer's ear)? It's been prescribed to me - off label of course since it's not approved for use in the ears - and I'm a little concerned. Has anyone experienced hearing loss? As with everything else there is conflicting information online. I do not want to cause any further damage to my hearing if I can avoid it!

Related Reading: swimmer's ear | hearing loss

Comment from: Leagrits, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 28

I had adult strabismus surgery on one eye and was prescribed tobradex post operatively. I used it three times a day for five days. I noticed my eyelid was red, hot and swollen and my eye was extremely itchy. An assistant in my dr.s office !

Related Reading: strabismus | tobradex

Comment from: lalalala, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 02

I had a sty that had ruptured causing a bacterial infection. My eyes were blurry after I applied it.

Related Reading: sty | ruptured

Comment from: Jem, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 02

I use this med for iritis flare ups. It helps with the extreme pain and light sensitivity very quickly.

Related Reading: iritis

Comment from: comgeek26, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 27

I was prescribed this after I'd had an iodine plaque put in and removed from my left eye. Up until I was prescribed the ointment I'd been taking the Tobradex drops, but a stitch was starting to come out of the scar and make it very sore, so they prescribed the ointment as a way (I guess) of speeding up the healing. It hasn't been sore since. I can move my eye around in all directions without any pain. It does tend to make the vision in that eye kind of blurry, though.

Related Reading: iodine | tobradex

Comment from: mark, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 22

seems too help, very expensive

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 01

had about 3-4 STYES on my lower lids which were not healing up (they usually heal within about 1-2 weeks). I had had them for about 2-3 months. So, the doctor prescribed Tobradex ointment. I went through the vial, and my eyes cleared up. But, 2 months later, the issue returned. I was again prescribed Tobradex, but two of the styes did not heal 100%. Another 2 months later, there were additional issues, as well as severe redness/inflammation inside the lid. Again, I was prescribed Tobradex. During that third vial, I began to see dramatic changes in my vision, so I immediately stopped the treatment. Visual changes: 1. Sometimes I could see my face in the mirror. Other times, my face was blurry. 2. A couple of times, it looked as if my vision had ripples....like a pond. That was scary. These issues cleared up, but I was concerned if the drug had done long-term damage to my eyes. Later, an eye doctor said I was forming cataracts. (I'm 55. My parents didn't have cataracts.) This is a possible side effect of this drug, if used LONG TERM. However, there is absolutely NOTHING online that indicates what "long-term" means. And the doctors and the pharmacists don't know. Why did Alcon and the FDA list such ambiguous terms, if this drug can cause long-term damage to the eyes? Looking back, if I had known the risks, I would NOT have used this drug. And I'd urge doctors and patients to use alternatives, such as non-steroidal medications that have been tried and tested for a decade or more. For me, the only thing that completely healed my eyes was tea tree oil mixed with equal parts of olive oil, and rubbed over my eyelids each a.m. and p.m.

Comment from: pondoman2, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 24

Caused blurred vision, but it worked well reducing the inflamation and irritation.

Comment from: sore eyes, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 09

A little confusing as to how to administer the cream. found iout the cream should be administered directly to the affected eyelid, but nobody told me that. Once I started that, the pain andswelling started to go away and was fully gone within three days.

Comment from: gadzymus, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 15

I have been using this for years, I seem to get a lot of eye infections because I work in a very dusty environment. This has always cleared it up for me in two or three days at the rate of 2X per day. In fact I keep it on hand at all times. It is also sometimes called Tobrex, but either way it is good medicine for sure!

Related Reading: tobrex

Fungal Skin Infections: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: earls413, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 15

I had eyelid surgery to remove a lump containg granulomas. I used this on my stitches and it helped with swelling and eased the appearance of scars. Has many uses but is expensive even with insurance.

Related Reading: scars

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 28

Just had an eye biopsy done on two parts of my eye. I have stitches inside my eye and on part of my eyelid. I was given this ointment to put on it, twice a day. I have to say - ease of use hasn't been great. I'm supposed to drip this into my eye but half the time it just ends up on my face and eyelashes instead. My eye is sore and feels weird from the biopsy, and I guess this stuff kind of helps. I've noticed my eye twitching a LOT more because of this stuff. It's practically immediately after I put this in. Not sure why, maybe the steroid or something is irritating part of my eye. I plan to ask my eye doctor next week. I kind of wish I had eye drops instead or something...this stuff makes my eyes very blurry at first.

Comment from: SPG, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 06

I took this for A.S related iritis. The main ingredient is white petrolium jelly. I am allergic to that, and this just gave me a red puffy painful rash.

Related Reading: iritis | rash

Comment from: pete, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

Had corneal infection in my eye and my optometrist suggest this ..it cures the Redness in 3 hours

Comment from: aspenlight, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 07

My dog accidently scratch wounded my conea. I was in so much pain. I had this medicine left over from my opthamologist, when I had used it for pink eye(cured completely!) I put in the trobaDex ointment before bed, woke up the next day and the pain is gone! NO allergic reactions and I have sensitive eyes! This is a lifesaver!I'd give it 10 stars if I could!