Transderm Scop

Comment from: moonsurfer, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 07

As a frequent sufferer of motion sickness during my twenty four year career on small boats, I have long experience with trying to find the "right" remedy for motion sickness, with the least side effects. I used the patch on a recent boat trip in very heavy weather and the patch worked perfectly - zero nausea or other adverse effects of motion sickness whatsoever. I have used every pill-form medication available (except for the scopolamine pill which has been discontinued), and while they were all reasonably effective, they all made me drowsy to varying degrees - and left me unsteady on my feet and with a voracious appetite. With the Transderm Scop patch, I was completely rock steady on my feet (on the pitching decks of the boat), as well as completely relieved of any motion sickness symptoms. I did not experience any side effects beyond dry mouth, which was easily relieved by drinking water. Bottom line, this is the closest thing to being immune to motion sickness that I have ever experienced. I hate that it is in patch form and visible for all the world to see, but it definitely, positively works.

Comment from: sunny_socal, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 16

I was on this patch on and off for about 3 months. Every time I would remove the patch I would get violently sick, vomiting and become non-functional. The withdrawal can be brutal. My physician has me now wear it for a 10 day period so the medicine gradually wears off and that stopped the negative after effects.

Comment from: mainegirl, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 04

Having successfully used the Transderm-Scop for one previous cruise, I tried it again for a 7-day cruise, from which I returned a week ago. It managed the motion sickness quite well, but the side effects this time were very significant. I experienced badly blurred vision, Parkinson-like tremors, and moderate confusion marked by short-term memory loss. After disembarking, removing my last of 3 patches and flying halfway around the world to get home, although I thankfully recovered from the above-noted side-effects, I developed disabling nausea from which I have not yet recovered. DO NOT USE THIS MEDICATION! The side effects and what appears to be a withdrawal problem are certainly not worth it.

Related Reading: tremors

Comment from: Caribbean Cruiser, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 10

Took this drug to prevent sea sickness on a 7 day cruise. Used as directed and had no serious serious side effects on the cruise. I did experience blurred vision, dilated pupils and dry mouth as warned. The real problems did not start until 24 hours after the patch was removed. Terrible nausea and headache began and lasted for over 2 days. Still not back to normal yet. Although it helped with the prevention of seasickness, I don't think I will use the patch again.

Related Reading: dry mouth | headache | prevention

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 22

I went on a 7 day cruise and put a new patch on 3 days in as recommended. It was effective while on the ship. I experienced extreme thirst almost immediately & on Day 4 the blurred vision began...I couldn't even read the menu at dinner. As soon as I removed the patch I started experiencing terrible side effects. The blurred vision continued. It's been 5 days and my head still doesn't feel clear, I am extremely exhausted even after 10 hours of sleep. My arms and legs feel really weak. I am in great shape and if I walk 2 miles I feel like I'm going to collapse. I will NEVER take this again and NEVER recommend this to anyone, it's so terrible. I have never felt so awful in my life. If anyone has advice on how to overcome the exhaustion, please let me know. This drug should be off the market!!!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 25

I have been using this patch for years to prevent motion sickness. It has always been very effective in preventing the sickness. I do experience the blurred vision (pretty severely actually) and have extremely enlarged pupils. It's frustrating because I can't read anything but to me I'd rather not be seasick so I've dealt with the blurred vision. However, when I got back from my last cruise, I took off the patch and hours later started vomiting for several hours and felt extremely dizzy and sick to my stomach. I almost felt sea-sick only worse. It lasted for about 24 hours. I've never experienced this before but I'm not sure I'm going to be using this patch again.

Comment from: TransdermHater, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 18

I am still in shock that this medicine continues to be allowed to be in the market. Where is FDA on all the complaints that are posted in this site? I used it for a 7-day cruise until 1/2/2010. After I removed for 24 hours, I threw up and then had dizziness for two days very serious. I could not go to work for those two days and had to lie in bed all the time. Now it has been more than 2 weeks, my blood pressure went to 94-146. I feel heavy on the head. It is awful experience. Then I found there have been so many complaints about this drug by many other people. Why FDA has continued to allow this to happen. I think it is time to take legal actions against the drug companies.

Related Reading: shock | dizziness

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 28

It allowed me to enjoy our cruise (7 days) with no motion sickness. However, when the patch was removed a day or so later I have been nauseous and slightly dizzy - the same feeling I get when I do have motion sickness. It has been two weeks since I removed the patch. Does anyone know if this go away?

Related Reading: motion sickness

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 20

blurry vision, sore throat, and affects when stopping using outweigh benefits

Related Reading: sore throat

Comment from: SeaSick, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 11

Two and a half months after using the Transderm Scope Patch and I am back to normal! I struggled the most with Vertigo. My symptoms were: dry mouth, itching around patch, vertigo, dizzy, cognitive confusion, the muscles on one side of my face (the side the patch was located on) would tense at night when I was tired. This would cause my face to appear lopsided. I had loss of near vision, extreme fatigue. ear pain, ear popping, and vomiting when patch was removed. I also had gut issues and appetite issues. Women in their mid 40s can develop vertigo (Mal de Debarquement or "MDD" a type of vertigo and imbalance that occurs after getting off of a boat.) The big question, was my body resetting itself after an allergic reaction to scopolamine in combination with MDD or was it all related to the Transderm Scope patch/scopolamine. I believe it was all related to the patch, so did the majority of the doctors I visited. Either way, I learned the actual drug is still in your system for 72hrs after the patch is removed. It was around day four my vision become better, at week 2 1/2 I started to feel better. By week 6 I was about back to normal. I visited my regular eye doctor and primary doctor, ENT, PT, Glaucoma Specialist, and had a MRI. What worked wonders for me… Myofascial Release on my neck, behind my ear and shoulder from a physical therapist. Vascular therapy and eye exercises (I did hot and cold compressions myself.) Drink water to flush everything out of your body. I took Benadryl, and think it helped a small amount. Our cruise was very rough seas in August 2014. While the patch was on I did not get sick once. Out of 10 family/friends members on the cruise who took the patch, five had a reaction. For you who are suffering now, I am so sorry. It was a long road, but it is over now! I’m at month three and will now and work to get back into the great physical shape I was in before I had my allergic reaction. Best Wishes.

Related Reading: vertigo | dry mouth | fatigue

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 18

After using the patches, I have experienced extreme vomiting, and had to seek doctors aid to stop the vomiting after 3 straight days, and now I am being treated for dizziness and loss of balance, and will have to seek help from a Specialist, if anyone else has experienced these problems, let it be known, PLEASE

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: SYeatts, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 26

Keep in mind that people are more likely to write a review when they have a bad experience than when things go well. This drug has been around in various forms for a very long time and works well for most people, me included. But like any medication, side effects often vary from person to person and depending on the circumstances. I have used this product for many years -- mainly for motion sickness but also it has been prescribed to me pre-operatively for every surgery I've ever had. I have had the "dry mouth" side effect and sometimes a little bit of blurry vision (especially if I don't wash my hands well after I apply it) but for me the benefits outweigh the side effects. Talk to your doctor if you have side effects and talk to your doctor (not your travel agent) about its appropriateness for you and your situation.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 02

I had a bad experience after leaving our cruise ship, and taking the patch OFF! The weird thing is that I have used this patch 3 years ago, with no side effects. This time, I placed this patch behind my ear as directed, to prevent motion sickness for a 3 day cruise. The seas were rough, but I did not have any motion sickness. After the 2nd night, I noticed the blurred vision. Each morning I woke up very dry, and my eyes were bloodshot & red. By the 3rd day I felt generally pretty bad, and was in no mood to enjoy myself. Overall during the cruise, I think the drug worked in preventing motion sicknes. However, my sickness began upon disembarking the ship. I removed the patch, and had sharp pains in my ear within 30 minutes. My blurred vision became worse, and my heart was racing. I took ibuprofen and laid down in bed. I have been back from the cruise for 3 days now, and I still feel terrible. My boss thinks I'm a hypochondriac because I have to keep leaving the office to go lay down in my car. I have been dizzy, nauseaus and on the verge of vommiting several times. I thought I had an inner ear infection, and scheduled a doctor's appointment for later today. But now after reading all of these horror stories of withdrawal symptoms, this is probably what I'm experiencing. I still feel like I'm on the ship right now, everything around me is rocking and swaying. At least my vision is almost back to normal. Oh, and like many other women, I was on the 2nd day of my period when I put the patch on. Since I have taken this before with no side effects, I think that being on my period has contributed to my side effects and/or withdrawal symptoms. I do NOT recommend this drug if you are a woman. Stay far, far away from this drug!!

Related Reading: ibuprofen | inner ear infection

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 31

I recently used this for about 10days when I flew to Singapore. I usually use dramamine so I wanted something easy to use and got it from Doc. Well when I tried to take it off after 3 days I became very dizzy and threw up, until I put another patch on. I kept it on my entire trip and took it off a day after my plane ride and yet again extremely dizzy, nauseated, could not get out of bed to even eat. I called doc from bed and they perscribed something for vertigo, which is what they said I had which turns out was only horrible withdraw symptoms from this patch. The dizziness stopped after a day on meds and then I have had continuous problems with nerves in neck and head area. It seems like my head on the side I put the patch on is heavier than the other side and I can not hear well. I went to an ENT who said it is nerves in my neck and head and hearing is fine. It has been almost 2 full weeks now and I still have neck issues, and now I am taking muscle relaxers. I think next time I am going to try this thing that goes on your wrist instead. I hate taking meds...and now I have taken so many it is ridiculous although I will say these work......but at what cost?? My health?? No thanks!

Related Reading: vertigo | dizziness

Comment from: Dizzy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 26

I used this for a week stay on a cruise ship. After removing the patch 3 days ago I'm on anti vertigo medicaition and nausea medication. Basically miserable feeling of constant motion. I'm told this could last another 2-3 weeks.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 04

I dont think I will use this medicine again, I been back from a cruise for 2 weeks and my system is full of gas having trouble with food still very dry mouth hopping it will wash out of my system soon. I used 2 patches on a 15 day cruise

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 27

Blurred Vision. Sensitivity to light. Symptoms continue to persist a week after the removal of the patch. I would not recommend this patch at all. I will file a complaint with the FDA.

Comment from: alwayscarsick, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 30

I have used this product for over 20 yrs. Minus the time it was off the market (which was awful for me). I have used this product with great success. To all of those who have had the awful side effects upon removal I am truly sorry for your experience. However, as with any prescription medication there are risks. If you are considering this medication I would recommend trying it before you NEED it. I have found over the yrs that cutting the patch in 1/2 has decreased if not eliminated all of the side effects including the ones upon removal. Also, I would highly recommend starting off slowly. Using it for a day, removing and then again later for a couple of days. If you are needing relief immediately and don't have time to ease yourself into a (prescription medication) like this then try 1/2 the patch but follow the directions and place on the skin 4 or more hours before you travel. Use a moisture eye drop for dry eyes and a throat lozenge for the dry mouth & throat. ie: Halls fruit breezers or something. I find gum also helps. This is a highly effective product but as with all prescription medications care should be taken. My own motion sickness is very severe. I do not enjoy travel of any kind. Even a trip across town in the passenger seat is awful. With this product I can enjoy traveling even time on our boat! I DO NOT over use this product though and do not enjoy taking medication of any kind. But with that said this is the only product that has ever worked and believe me I have tried EVERYTHING! I wish you luck and relief from motion sickness.

Related Reading: dry eyes | motion sickness

Comment from: emmalou, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 29

I have terrible motion sickness and I had not flown for 10 years due to this condition. I decided to take a trip to Italy with a friend and used the patch on a recommendation from friends. I did NOT obtain a prescription but got the patches from a relative. But i am sure my doctor would have prescribed it for me, because he was totally surprised when I told him about my reaction. The flight was effortless I felt great. I spent the next 10 days traveling on busses and in the back of a car on windy roads. I NEVER would have survived without the patch which I replaced every 3 days. A few days into the trip I did notice my vision became very blurry. I was unable to read anything without reading glasses. But I did not consider this debilitating enough to stop using the patch. At the end of the trip we planned 2 days in Rome where I removed the patch because I did not plan on any other transportation but walking. About halfway through the first day i began to feel dizzy. I thought it was the heat. But by that evening I was flat on my back in the hotel unable to move. IMy traveling companion was a pharmacist- but she never made the connection until we read the list of side effects. I put another patch on and was ok by the morning. I flew home that day and was absolutely fine. I kept the patch on until it fell off, hoping a slow withdrawal would keep me from experiencing any more side effects. No such luck. Almost exactly 24 hours after the patch fell off I experienced sudden extreme dizziness and intense nausea. I was in bed for 3 full days. When I was able to sleep I had intense and disturbing dreams. My doctor was completely shocked he had never heard of anyone experiencing anything like this!

Comment from: Xlady531, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 12

I've been using this patch for 3 months. Each time I take it off, within a few hours I am so sick that I can't funtion. I have to stop using it but I can't afford to miss work yet I can't work without it. Any suggestions? Also, I am a healthy 50 year old woman in great physical condition.

Comment from: Rose, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 12

Vertigo is disabling. Transderm-Scop prevent me from throwing up from naussea. I did not remember a blurred vision when I had it on my first experience a couple years ago. I'm still not sure what else to expect as far as treatment result, so I cannot rate it to be effective. With this treatment overall makes me feel as if I am intoxicated by drinking alcohol. Hand and I coordination is poor and my movement is slugish. My action seems to be behind by 2 seconds.

Related Reading: vertigo

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 21

My daughter's neurologist prescribed this drug for her. She is now very ill with low blood pressure after it was removed after 4 weeks of use for vertigo. This is a very danagerous drug and I can't get anyone to answer my questions about the side effects. BEWARE.

Related Reading: low blood pressure | vertigo

Comment from: T.J.R., 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 27

for those who got sick after their cruise it took me 6 days to return to normal.nauseous,vomiting & dizzy after we docked.i think this will be my last cruise.4 total, but this last one was the clintcher.

Comment from: TransdermHorrible, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 06

I really hated this medication. I put the patch on a few hours before we set sail on our cruise and it actually did not work very well. I did not eat the first night because I felt so sick. It finally worked for the next two days, but on the 4th day, I noticed that my vision was going blurry and my eyes were dilated. I got scared and took the patch off immediately. After 24 hours of leaving the cruise, my vision was HORRIBLE and I felt sick, drunk and confused. It has already been 4 days and I am still not right. I have spoken to my doctor and have been told that this medication takes a while to get our of your system. I do not recommend this patch and I will never use it again. I did not think it worked very well and the fact that I still can not see well is very scary. It should be taken off the market since the side effects are worse than the benefits. I wish I never used it.

Comment from: JoeW, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 26

Appied 1 patch behind the ear 5 hours before going deep sea fishing. This was a 16 hour trip. I still got sea sick. Got very dizzy on the boat whenever I stood up or laid down. Took off patch immediately after coming ashore. Still dizzy with stomach ache 3 days later. This is an awful drug. DO NOT USE!