Trileptal

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 01

Bipolar - I took this med for one year with no blood testing. I started experiencing mixed symptoms and asked my doctor if my dosage might need to be adjusted. She then decided that my oxcarbazepine level should be checked along with my sodium. I was not even in the therapeutic range, so my dosage was increased. My sodium was only slightly low. A few weeks later my levels were checked again. I was at a low therapeutic level, but my sodium was also getting lower, so I remained on that dosage. 6 months later I had some routine blood work at my family physician's, because I had not been feeling well, flu-like symptoms that would not go away for about a month. Anyway, those labs showed my sodium level to be dangerously low (128) I let my psychiatrist know and she took me off the trileptal. I lost 7 pounds in the first 24 hours after stopping it. I had been retaining fluids causing my headaches, fatique, soreness and all the flu-like symptoms that I had. Now I am cycling between mania and depression, sometimes in the same day. I am starting Lamictal, but may not reach a therapeutic level for 6-8 weeks. If you take Trileptal make sure your doctor orders frequent labs, checking your oxcarbazepine level and sodium level. The sodium level is very important, if it drops to low, it can cause seizures, swelling of the brain, coma and even death.

Related Reading: oxcarbazepine | flu | trileptal

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 23

Trileptal was presribed to my 9 year old son for a mood disoder and raging. It has made a significant improvement in his mood and raging.

Related Reading: trileptal

Comment from: pdd, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 03

This is the only drug that I have used to treat bipolar disorder. I had been misdiagnosed as having severe depression prior to that. I have been taking it for at least 10 years with great success. My 14 year old son now also takes it with amazing results. Same drugs work well in same families. ALWAYS try that first.

Related Reading: bipolar disorder | depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 20

I have bipolar, and this is seriously the only med I've been on that hasn't had horrible side effects, and was also effective. I get very irritable/angry when manic, and very depressed during my lows, and without this drug I'm a mess. Plus I love that they have it in generic form. Only noticed minor fatigue when I first started it, and some acne when increasing the dose. Not a big deal though.

Related Reading: fatigue | acne

Comment from: vlf1007aolcom, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 04

I have been on Trileptal for over a year, now, after having a bad experience with Depakote. I take Trileptal for mood stabilization. I tend to be somewhat bipolar and have anxiety with panic disorder. Although I suffer mostly from Major Recurrent Depression, I sometimes get swing into Manic Disorder. After taking the Trileptal, my mood leveled out dramatically. I have had little to no adverse reactions on Trileptal. Depakote caused constant nausea, and food and drink tasted very bad. After my doctor switched me to Trileptal, I regained my appetite, and food and liquids returned to their rightful taste. I love the effects I find in taking Trileptal.

Related Reading: depakote | anxiety | depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 13

Well, i was prescribed this medication 3 months ago for anger and irritability. It significantly decreased my anger and irritability and even helped with my depression. However, 3 months later i'm starting to notice some undesirable side effects. I have some hair loss. However, when i took the generic form it caused hair loss, but when I took the actual trileptal, the hair loss decreased. I haven't had any sexual side effects and i have actually lost 10 lbs since starting medication. It seems to take away my appetite. I take 1200 mg at night, which seems to cause lightheadedness. When i first began the medication i would actually feel drunk after taking it. With all this, I feel that i am somewhat satisfied.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: campgirl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been taking this med for about 2 years for mood stabilization of bipolar disorder with many depressive episodes. It really helped and made me feel normal. I was able to stop the antidepressant I was on and haven't had any symptoms of depression this winter. My psychiatrist only checked my sodium level twice during this time and it was low, but she was not concerned. On a regular yearly visit to my family doctor, she did routine blood work and found my sodium level to be extremely low, 129. My psychiatrist repeated the test and it was 128. She told me to stop taking it as the sodium level was too low and I could have seziures or go into a coma. It's very important to have your sodium level checked regularly if you take this med. I felt so good on it I am dreading not taking it and going back to the way I used to feel.

Related Reading: bipolar disorder | depression | coma

Comment from: Plnktn84, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 17

I started Trileptal for irritability from chronic depression. I really like it but it does make me sleepy during the day sometimes. It does help me sleep, but I am always waking up in the middle of the night. Great for the appetite as it doesnt make you hungry! I really like this medicine and I am only on 150MG once a day so far. I aslo has Bi-polare Disorder II and it does help with the mania!

Related Reading: trileptal

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 28

I was given Trileptal for anxiety and stress. For the period that I needed it, it helped a good bit. It was mild and I had no side effects from it. I would take it again for anxiety/stress over other drugs.

Related Reading: anxiety | stress

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 05

I have taken trileptal for 2+ years now! I have Bipolar disorder and this medication helps with my mood swings. As we all know medication is not a miracle but can make things more managable. I have tried many other meds but Trileptal seems to be doing rather well for me. I have experienced a little spaciness and forgetfulness. Minor headaches every so often. But the overall benefits are great. I am only taking a samll dose compared to others that i know that are Bipolar. However i am rather sensitive to meds due to my Anxiety. But we all metabolise our meds and food differently! But its been wonderful not to have such severe mood swings.

Related Reading: trileptal | bipolar disorder | anxiety

Comment from: lady_starskimmer, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 11

I am bi-polar, and have been on this medicine for over two years. It works well, but I have had to add different medicines to keep my mood stabilized and me feeling better. But overall, I like this med. I take 1200mgs twice a day. No side effects (that I know of).

Comment from: hopeful skeptic, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 29

My doctor prescribed Trileptal for bipolar disorder. Previously I took Depakote but got to the point where I was totally sluggish w/out energy. I had a big revelation when I started taking the entire dose - 1200 mg. at 8 p.m. to help me sleep better. My only complaint about the drug was when I took 600 mg. twice a day, I had a problem with daytime sleepiness.

Related Reading: depakote

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: December 13

I have bi-polar disorder and was originally on Depakote which caused hair loss and weight gain. I switched doctors and was put on Trileptal. It has worked for me for over 5 years with no side effects.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: daydreamer_4evr, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 14

i have bi-polar II and also fibromyalgia. unlike others i have read that have both disorders that i do, i find that this medication is working well for me although i do take the generic. but all in all i am extremely pleased with me outcome. i feel like i am becoming the mother i knew i could be and not have the rage and mood swings. i have taken everything from deperkote to ambilify and so on, and i personally feel this medication has had the best result for me. i am very pleased.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Epilepsy: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: vmw, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 09

I have been on Trileptal for 8 years to treat bi-polar disorder. I have had only two side effects... double vision, and wakefulness. The double vision occurs when I am over tired, and is easily corrected by wearing my glasses. The wakefulness has been a bit of a problem, as I feel I am not getting a full night's rest. I wake between 3-4 times a night. Other than that, it has been a very helpful drug.

Related Reading: trileptal | double vision

Published: October 21

I HAVE BEEN ON TRILEPTAL FOR 2 MINTHS AND IT IS BY FAR THE BEST MEDICATION IVE FOUND FOR ME FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER WITHOUT ANY SIDE EFFECTS.

Related Reading: trileptal | bipolar disorder

Comment from: Thankful Mom, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 02

I have been on Trileptal for about seven months now 600mg 2/day. I have never felt better. My mood swings have diminished drastically. My son and I have a better relationship now, because I am not screaming every time he does something wrong. I am more calm and relaxed, like I feel a mother should be. I also take Cymbalta for depression and anxiety. My depression still comes and goes. But at least I am not a freak show anymore. My co-workers have also noticed a change. I don't feel like ripping their heads off when something doesn't go right. Thanks

Related Reading: cymbalta | depression | anxiety

Comment from: bowman2lin, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 26

Treated for bipolar for over 7 yrs. with Trileptal (now the generic). Definetly helps with mood swings and anger response to everything. If I had side effects they went away. Maybe slightly dry mouth. Dosage: 450-600mg at night. 300mg when I wake up at 6 am to go to the bathrm. But then I sleep until 10 or 11am which is fine by me. If I had to get up earlier I would divide the daily dose to 150mg twice during the day. I go to the gym to control weight and help with mood/anger. So I would say it has been 90% helpful for my bipolar symptoms. I am 58 and remember the days when I didn't have this option.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: janders3, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been on Trileptal for eight years for Bipolar I disorder. I love it. I also take Wellbutrin and Lamictal, though I consider Trileptal the stable drug. It is wonderful. I take 1500 mg if I am having a bad episode, but I don't have to stay on that dose for very long usually. I stay at 900 most of the time and it keeps me stable. I really like the ease of use that you can adjust the dosage so easily. Anyway, if you have horrible anxiety, depression, or manic symptoms, this is a great med to take.

Related Reading: wellbutrin | lamictal

Comment from: hXc_daddy, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 27

This drug made my eyesight kind of blur for the first few months, but my body corrected it. I use this drug for bipolar and anxiety induced seizures, and it's amazing. However, if a single dose is missed, it can cause some very heavy side effects. Overall, i love it.

Comment from: flyerguy, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 10

I began taking Oxcarbazepine (generic Trileptal) four months ago in order to relieve anxiety, slow racing thoughts, and stabilize my mood throughout the day. I've experienced occasional night sweats (usually following a dosage increase). Overall the medicine has been a spectacular and has provided a degree of mental clarity I have never known before. Other potential benefits include decreased irritability and improved focus.

Related Reading: oxcarbazepine | night sweats

Comment from: cjanelockport, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 12

I have Bipolar II disease and am my hypomania is controlled completely by this medication. My extra energy is an old friend so it is hard for me to be without it!

Comment from: scorpiolis, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 06

I have bi-polar with severe depression, Since taking Trileptal, I feel like I have better control of my emotions and make more appropriate choices when facing a "crisis." In the past, I have attempted suicide many times when confronted with problems or depression, as well as mania--I would drink excessively trying to self medicate instead of asking for assistance. Thank GOD for Trileptal, or I would probably not be alive today!

Related Reading: depression | trileptal | suicide

Comment from: cooking1000, Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 05

I use this medcation as a mood stabilizer for bi- polar disorder. I take 1200 mg at night. When I take thid medicine I get a sort of light headed feeling . Enough that I would not think of driving and also why I take at night. I am normally fine by thetime I get up.

Comment from: NxOhMissFriedxD, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 15

I use this for Bipolar. I have never felt better. my mood is stable and i used to shake, b/c my mind and body didnt know how to process my emotions. now i am shake free and full of smiles!!!

QUESTION

If you have had a seizure, it means you have epilepsy. See Answer