Vagifem

Comment from: LKP 65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 19

Vaginal atrophy with pinching discomfort, pain with even just walking! I had early menopause at age 39, now I am 65. Estrace cream is similar to Vagifem, but the cream is MESSY. Vagifem 10 mcg. tablets, simple to insert, a little "pinching" due to dryness. I use one tablet weekly with significant improvement in less dryness and pain. The original 2 tablets weekly dose caused return of migraine headaches that had disappeared after menopause.In between, I do use Replens or the new Vagisil Prohydrate. Although my partner is impotent, the Vagifem has allowed him to touch the vaginal area without pain. I don't think the atrophy has been reversed - but localized symptoms are much improved. As to COST - ridiculous in the USA!! but I have got brand name Novo Nordisk from a Canada company at about 90% LESS!

Related Reading: menopause | estrace | vagifem

Comment from: Ccc55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 16

I am not one to take prescription drugs. Having said that, after 4 years of increasing sexual pain I finally trusted my doctor in her recommendation for Vagifem. Pleasantly, I found that within the first week I had greatly reduced pain during intercourse. AND, during the 4 years when it was painful, I started having Urinary Tract Infections, UTIs. Very painful! I waited a year to review. I have only positives to report- and, the UTIs are gone - a win-win all around.

Comment from: zmv8ql65-71 Published: November 02

Have been taking Vagifem (in spite of the cost) for several years and it has worked great. I read on this site a connection between the drug and thinning hair, but I've assumed thinning hair was just due to normal aging. Anyone else experience such a connection? Also have diarrhea every three months and am wondering if that too may be due to the drug. Thanks for responding.

Related Reading: vagifem | diarrhea

Comment from: louise65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 20

I have been using it for the last 3 months and it has helped me lot no more bladder infections still a little sore with intercourse over all I'm happy with it was having to many bladder problems, and yeast infections.

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 06

I had higher expectations after 1.5 years of use.

Comment from: Lily75 or overon Treatment for 10+ years Published: September 29

I am 78 years old and have been on Vagifem to treat vaginal dryness and prevention of infection after my radical hysterectomy 13 years ago for uterine cancer. I take 10 mg twice a week and use an OTC vaginal gel after my shower every morning. Vagifem is expensive, but I've been able to get it through https://www.canadamedstop.com// for less than one third the cost in the US. My sexual activity is limited but most satisfying.

Related Reading: vagifem | vaginal dryness | prevention

Comment from: Unhappy45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 29

I am a 53 yo in 3rd year of menopause with vaginal and urethral atrophy. Was hesitant to begin hormone therapy and especially after reading some blogs about this medication. Gyno recommended over creams because it was a direct dose and â??it works better than hormone cream.â? I was extremely dry to begin with which became even worse. The side effects after 20 doses were unbearable. The medication made ALL of my original symptoms 100% worse. Experienced difficulty sitting and walking. Chronic yeast infections, extremely painful bladder spasms, constipation, bloated gut, pain in abdomen, swollen painful vulva. Finally went to urogynecologist who advised that the hormone can cause vaginal spasms which causes bladder spasms. I am exploring other options.

Related Reading: menopause | bladder spasms | constipation

Comment from: KJB55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 09

After three to four days I experienced extreme burning of vaginal tissues and discharge.

Comment from: happy45-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 28

I am happy with the results, except for the bloating and gas. I am a cancer survivor (but in a great relationship) and find the risk acceptable.

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: Pug Lady55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 16

I've been using this product for 2 months to relieve painful intercourse and it is wonderful! I was wary after reading the many complaints, especially about migraines (I suffered painful headaches like clockwork each month before I reached menopause) but I haven't had any unpleasant side-effects whatsoever. Vagifem has made a significant improvement in my life. Definitely worth the high price for me.

Related Reading: menopause | vagifem

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 19

Within a few days of starting treatment with the 14 day onset, I felt so much better. I went to the twice per week dosage of 10 mpg and have continued for about a month. I am so happy with my results and I have my libido back that has been missing for over 10 years since menopause hit. I sure hope future studies find this drug safe. I almost decided not to take it once I read the insert describing all of the risks. As others, my Dr. thinks it's safe at 10 mcg.

Related Reading: menopause

Comment from: Mags65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 26

This medication got rid of the urinary track infections that I was getting every 3 months and pain but I have ended up with daily migraines. Impossible for me to continue. Nothing relieves the head pain. Eyes strange and head foggy.

Comment from: JulieSH55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 28

Eased painful sex. Thank you. Could you stop making the plastic applicator please? Cardboard or alternatively no applicator. Thanks

Comment from: Anon Australia55-64on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: November 16

About 6 years ago I was prescribed Vagifem for: vaginal atrophy,pap smears and attempts to have sexual intercourse causing extreme pain; I'd forgotten about the stinging discomfort washing "down there" with normal soap caused me as prepubescent child.. but its recurrence stirred memory of that! My Dr prescribed the only available dose back then (25mcg??). When the low dose(10mcg) became available several years ago he swapped me onto it. I was always wary of using it as I have a history of cervical (treated successfully) and bladder cancer(remission). My specialist assured me it "should" ok. I used Vagifem less frequently than per instructions. Benefits: my post/menopausal dry skin seemed to improve slightly. The stinging sensation when washing "down there" disappeared( phew). I could tolerate oral sex occasionally (yes, I was this dry/sensitive) but my previously strong (pre-menopause)libido never returned, sadly. I sometimes had very slight incontinence when sneezing, coughing and laughing but this almost disappeared while using Vagifem. I have stopped using Vagifem Low recently due to noticing some long and short term memory loss. I do have several other health issues which may have contributed to memory loss(depression, stroke - brain bleed). Since ceasing Vagifem Low 45 days ago: my skin is drier, slight incontinence has returned, slight stinging when washing returned, only had oral sex 2x and no difference yet(yea!). My meemory seems improved but I'm unable to definitively attribute that to use, or not, of Vagifem. Maybe inverse 'placebo' effect, lol. I will speak to my Dr for advice before possibly resuming Vagifem Low.

Related Reading: vagifem | bladder cancer | dry skin

Comment from: Wu63wb8 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 01

This medication has helped relieve me of the misery of dryness and itching and a very wasting away. At first, it seemed as though I had a yeast infection that was itching and burning and treated it accordingly. I havenâ??t had that problem lately. I have been on the 10mg twice weekly for 5 mos this time and the tissue is thickening and not nearly as fragile or dry.. I have a problem with urine burning me and i must clean all traces after urination . I too order from Canadian Pharmacy or I could not afford to use it. Looking forward to a break in American drug prices.

Comment from: Happy65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 05

I am 70 years old and have been using Vagifem for at least 10 - 15 years. I'm down to one a week and have been for a few years. I have had a pap smear every year and everything has been fine, but my doctor said I don't need one anymore. Even though this worked very well with no side effects that I can blame on Vagifem, I think I will take a break for a while as I am trying to get off medications. If I start have burning, etc., I will go back on them. By the way, Coconut Oil works great!

What Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: Frustratedbljvkk65-71on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 01

I am a nurse practitioner and have been taking this medication prescribed by my physician for four years, however when I had to go on Medicare with supplement, I have had to cut back on use of it because of the cost. Am currently waiting for my Canadian pharmacy order to come through with brand Vagifem much more affordable from the same pharmaceutical company. We are really being over charged here in the U.S.