Valium

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 27

Valium is a godsend!!!! I have taken it exactly 5mg for 23 years for anxiety. The only stop was 5 years in psychoanalysis when the doctor claimed "the therapeutic effect" would be lost if on medicines !!!! Those years were COMPLETE HELL !!!! That day I stopped the psychoanalysis because (thank god!!!)the analyst should to into retirement, that day I started Valium (diazepam) 5mg/day again and IMMEDIATELY!!!!! got back to senses. How could I be so deceived by that shrink and not listen to school-medicine doctors!! Well an analysis-shrink colleague of him also having a radio show - praising the analysis - admitted in a book after his retirement that he had taken, wait ...Valium over all the years to manage his anxiety !!!!! (strong to do that) Well we know priests preaching A but doing P !!! I'm amazed when people now can report themselves, to see how great help this medicine is and how very, very few have any problems. Of course as chronic anxiety disorder is CHRONIC ... the anxiety will reappear when you stop the medication. The blood-sugar would certainly go up if stopped insulin !!!! Talk about being dependent on INSULIN. I HOPE internet medical fora can force the psychotherapeutic maffia to where it belongs. The scrapyard!!!! Regards!!

Related Reading: valium | anxiety | diazepam

Comment from: Working Man, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 20

Sure, there's plenty of newer, 'more powerful' benzodiazepines that've been introduced in the past 30 years (e.g., Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin)-- I've tried many of them -- but diazepam (Valium) is still the best. And safest. Here's why: 1). It's relaxing & uplifting in the most mild way. It doesn't cause wacky behavior nor give the appearance that the user is 'on something'. 2). It's long acting. You don't need to cling to a pill bottle all day. One small dose gives all-day benefit. 3.) It doesn't cause mental depression, like so many minor tranqilizers do. I like to take a 5 mg. pill in the morning, before work. It 'loosens me up', making that tense pre-workday mood disappear. It helps me organize myself, in a cheerful way. That's the best way I can describe it. I don't take another until the next morning. And many times I don't even need to do that. Diazepam the very best of the benzodiazepines and minor tranquilizers. Speaking from experience.

Related Reading: benzodiazepines | xanax | ativan

Comment from: scarcrys, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

it works very well when im having a very stressfull day and it makes the rest of my day much more calming after i take one. I feel more ready to deal with the rest of my day.

Comment from: hawktfpsr, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 30

ENABLED ME TO WORK AND FUNCTION FOR OVER 35 YEARS NOW.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 08

I've had 2 separate periods of diazepam use. The first was from 1982-99 for generalized anxiety and Meniere's Disease. It worked very well for both. However, I am also a recovering alcoholic who has to be careful with drugs like this and when I got sober in 1999, I quit using valium. Then this past May (2009), I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and my anxiety (and some Meniere's symptoms like vertigo, etc.)came back roaring. I had shortness of breath and a tremendously amplified startle reflex. So, I asked my GP to put me back on low levels of valium, which he did. He also put me on Ambien. My cancer surgery in July was successful and by October, I felt ready to come off both valium and ambien. But my addictive brain (remember, I'm a recovering drunk) wasn't as ready and I was unsuccessful in my own attempt to taper off either drug. So, I went to the p-doc at the local rehab center and she put me on Remeron and told me to try and get off the ambien first and we'd worry about the valium later. So, now about 10 weeks later, I'm off ambien completely and am being maintained on 15mg. remeron and 3mg valium a day. This is a sub-clinical valium dose, but it still helps. We're going to stay here for the next 5 months or so and then, if the Remeron continues to work for me, taper the valium until I'm off it. Valium has historically been the only drug that has ever given me relief from my anxiety and I've been through a bushel basket of others from Buspar to Luvox to Lexapro. But because of my addictive personality, I need to be off it eventually. And that's OK so long as the Remeron keeps working. So, with some reservations, I'd recommend short-course valium therapy to anybody with severe situational anxiety. It works. Watch it though and don't stay on it too long. It makes all the sharp corners of the world round and while that is a nice feeling, it isn't the way the world really is. Be cautious with this drug, especially if you are prone to addiction.

Comment from: [email protected], 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 07

I've been on all of the benzos and Valium is not only the most effective it is the safest and easiest to come off of if you choose to do so. This is an oldie but goodie! Does the job and does it quickly :)

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 27

I take 5 mg as needed for anxiety, and have found the drug very helpful for this purpose. I have found it difficult, however, to resist taking it more than recommended by my doctor because it makes me feel so much more relaxed, so if you have an addictive personality this is probably not a good choice for you.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Steph, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 03

I can't tell from what I've read about the side affects, but I wonder if it does affect your memory. I have a harder time remembering names, situations, etc. I've also found that I sometimes have a problem with my line of thought - I'll forget what my main point was. I take 2.5 mg per day. It has helped me a great deal with dealing with daily stresses, especially at work. I'm much more relaxed.

Comment from: Fortressofcomfort, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 10

Great! I take 5-10mg a day usually a couple hours before bed. It allows me to unwind and relax and stops my mind from racing and wandering. Have taken for 2 yrs now with no side effects. It is also easy to stop taking (no withdrawal) but it stays in your system (and is detectable in urine) for a good 3 weeks. The only caveat is that if you abuse it (take too much) it will lead to depression, so stick to the lowest dose that works. It is also good for occasional insomnia at higher doses (10-15mg) but stops working for that after only a couple days of use. Summary: an effective old school 'chill pill' that is safe and easy to use. P.s. I have used Klonipim and Xanax before and actually prefer the Valium because it lasts longer and doesn't make me tired at the usual 5mg dose. Cheers!

Related Reading: depression | insomnia | xanax

Comment from: LadyOwl, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 25

As another reviewer wrote, I too have taken Valium 10mg/3xdaily, for about 10 years now, and I've yet to have any problems. I've taken Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax, all of them...Valium has worked the best for me, for it covers so much.

Related Reading: valium | ativan | klonopin

Comment from: Dawn, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 17

I took xanax for over a year,the side effects were bad,hallucinations,loss of memory.And badly addictive. So I switched to valium,I have been on it for over a year now and I love it.

Related Reading: xanax | valium

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: April 11

I have been on Valium for a while now and I am able to live a normal life. It really helps with stress.

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: Fortressofcomfort, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 20

Overall diazepam is the best benzo ever. I suffer from anxiety disorder and occasional panic attack (when anxiety is very high for prolonged periods of time). Clonazepam turns me into a zombie (good for periods of insomnia though) alprazolam causes me much amnesia and just seems too strong, and lorazepam and Serax just don't last very long requiring multiple doses each day. I occasionally have my doc switch me around but I always come back to good old Valium. It just seems to have the best combination of therapeutic action for anxiety and, at 5mg doses, does not turn me into a non functioning zombie or make me sleepy. Proper use of diazepam has absolutely improved my life overall. I've been taking 5-10mg a day, a low dose, for 2 years now and would hate to have to give it up. It is also very non-addictive, and when used appropriately does not have an significant withdrawal symptoms. For anyone suffering from moderate to severe anxiety, or panic attacks, ask your doctor to let you try simply 5mg of Valium taken in the evening. Greetings and cheers from a fellow worrywart lol.

Related Reading: diazepam | clonazepam | alprazolam

Comment from: Daziegrl4, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 22

I have tried the generic diazapam many times and it causes agitation but the name brand always works.Why is this happening?

Comment from: Duke, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 29

I have been on this Medication for 8 years. I take one 10mil. tablet a day and have never felt the need to increase it. No problem with addition whatsoever. Sometimes I take a half pill in the A,M. and 2nd half in the P.M.

Comment from: gt714, 45-54 Female Published: March 11

this med. has allowed me to lead a normal productuve life without the anxiety that was otherwise dibilitating

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 18

I have taken Valium off and on for 35 years. The times without it, I tried every alternative treatment. And many psychiatrists plus psychologists and social workers. Bottom line, my life is normal when I have it. I am a basket case without it. I have gone as much as 2 years off it, and those 2 years were hell for me. I was given every anti-drepressant on the market but none of them took care of my anxiety and I have never had a problem with depression. Some doctors tried them to get me off valium, but they did not work on me. If I were 25, I wouldn't start it again because I know it's addictive, I read things. But at 66, I don't want to live without it after all this time.

Related Reading: valium | depression

Comment from: happy, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 19

Excellent drug .Lots of bad press about becoming addicted if 5mg 3-4 times PER WEEK for 25 yrs is addiction i except the consequece

Comment from: Jimmy, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 08

Best drug I have ever tried. Relaxes you very well with no side effects. Would recommend to anyone.

Comment from: pshyco67, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 04

this medication helps my nerves and it has for a long time i would reccomend it to anyone

Comment from: ST7, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 03

I was taking 3mg of Klonopin daily for over 12 years and found it to be extremely potent and addictive. I tried to get off of it three times and could not do it. After three attempts totaling one year of withdrawal symptoms I lost total control. My doctor suggest a low dose of diazepam. This medication has given me my life back. No more panic attacks and I do not find this medication to nearly as potent and addictive as Klonopin.

Related Reading: klonopin | diazepam | panic attacks

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: October 31

quick (15-20 minutes) and effective; excellent for insomnia; no after effects

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 25

Valium is the best benzo for long term, chronic anxiety and panic disorder. However, the hardest thing is if you ever have to stop it without switching to another benzo. The 2 side effects I had were the occasional headache associated with tiredness. Valium has the longest half life of any benzo and that is arguably why it is the hardest to stop after long term use. Be careful.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: abq_brett, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 16

Valium is the BEST BZD anti-anxiety medication, hands down! At age 22, my doctor put me on Xanax 1mg TID for GAD & panic. It worked, sure- but I felt like I was always having to watch the clock to make sure I took my next dose before the previous one wore off. It got to the point where I would wake up to a panic attack, as the Xanax had worn off. I'm 35 now, and about six months ago, I mentioned trying a longer acting medication Valium to my new doctor- who thought it was a good idea, particularly since I needed a good muscle relaxer as well. I'm currently prescribed Valium 10mg TID (PRN) - and could not be happier. It's such a relief to be able to take one tablet in the morning and be "cool as the flip side of the pillow" for the rest of the day. :) I've seen a few of you mention this and I have also found it to be true- when using the generic (diazepam) - well... not all generics are equal, especially with this drug. I've tried 4-5 different brands and Watson is the best. Mylan is probably the worst. So, just make sure you check for the generic manufacturer when you call around to the pharmacies. Best of luck!

Related Reading: xanax

Comment from: LadyOwl, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 08

Valium, aka "Mommy's lil' helpers" had been a godsend for me. I'd been taking it, 10mg tabs, 3x a day, #90/month for 10 years. Now THAT is a miracle as it is. On top of opiate pain meds for chronic back pain as well! All depends on the doctor. Some won't even R/x you an aspirin. Well, anyway, since it's so broad, it helped my muscle spasms, GAD, (General Anxiety Disorder) insomnia, migriaines, tension, PTSD, etc. So, that's the good thing about it. Bad thing is that after so long, like all the benzodiazapines, you get tolerant to it, and you can take half the bottle, and it doesn't phase you. *NO, I do NOT recommend that, lol)* But doc told me after 10+ years (Never asked for an increase in dose ever), the half life is very long, about 3 days. So even though you don't feel it, it's still in your system. So if you pop a Vicodin or something, chances are you're gonna wind up on the floor. That's the downside. So, as I'm on Methadone 10mg. for chronic back pain, sciatica, Lortab 10mg. for breakthrough pain, (close your mouth, you'll catch a fly), he's decided to cut the Valium, and switch me back to Ativan 1mg. Fine by me, works great, and don't have to worry Doc about the half life. Methadone has a VERY long half life, so I was dancing with death the whole time, and didn't realize it! So, it may be great, but it's a good idea to keep check on your dosage, especially if you're taking opiate painkillers, etc...

Related Reading: valium | aspirin | muscle spasms