Vivitrol

Comment from: Rogue, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 21

If an alcoholic ever wished for a "magic pill" to get rid of drinking, this is 99.9% it (in injection form). I've taken it once a month for 7 months and despite wanting to drink and drinking every hour of every day, I've been sober for 7 months and counting. This medication does two things for me. It takes away the craving & need to drink and, if I DO succumb and start to drink, I get no buzz, no relaxation, no familiar euphoric lift. All I feel is the PHYSICAL response to alcohol, which makes me tired, hot, & uncoordinated, none of which is pleasant. The MENTAL response is similar to drinking water (that burns on the way down) and getting a little confused. In other words, while using Vivitrol, there is no point in drinking because there is no reward, no buzz, no euphoria. And no craving. You find other rewarding things to do. I felt no side effects. I sleep and eat better because I was sober. After 7 months of sobriety I am doing things that I've planned on doing my whole life, but didn't have the time because I lived in the pleasant, but destructive, limbo of inebriation.

Related Reading: burns | vivitrol

Comment from: packer, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 15

I drank every day for 6-7 years. Went through an intensive outpatient program and started receiving vivitol injections. I happy to say that I have not had a drop of alcohol in 8 months! The stuff is amazing.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 22

Except for the side affects I am very happy with this medicine. My main side effect is serious constipation & body aches.

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: dostigres, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 27

Before my Gastric Bypass 10 yrs ago. I was sooo big there was no amount of alcohol that could lay me out. I was almost 400 lbs so Booze was never a problem for me, as I was a food addict, not an alcoholic. Since then after losing 150lbs I became a nightly blackout crazed drunk. My addiction unwittingly "transferred" to alcohol, my life became a wasteland as I tried to self-medicate my internal pain. I was on the verge of losing my job and as a last resort got myself to AA. A meeting a day for 3 yrs HELPED but still no total cure. I got myself onto outpatient rehab where the doctor prescribed Vivitrol. It was an absolute Godsend. But the effects started to wane after two glorious weeks of feeling completely NORMAL. I was on Vivitrol alone with personal counseling for 7 months when the doctor thought adding Camporal to help with the times the Vivitol wore off. I now feel I have my life back and under control. We need the AA for learning how to deal with our lives and how we got here from there. We need professional counseling to help heal our inner shame and the need to escape our lives. We need God to heal our souls and the need these wonder drugs for the rocket lift off into sobriety. There is help out there for us if we seek it. Addiction is a horrible disease. I now feel released from my pain and hope you can escape yours too. God bless.

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 15

I've taken Vivitrol for 18 months, along w/ AA and psych. therapy. No desire to drink, no side-effects and a very happy LIFE!. Strange thing, when a craving for drink enters my mind, it's swept away instantly. I'm part of survey, hope it helps someone else. Incredible.

Comment from: Crystalb0903, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 10

Absolute miracle drug. At 27 I haven'y gone without a drink for more than a few days at a time since I was 15. I manage a bar and its just always been there. This injection is amazing. I get a drink sent to me and it tastes funny. Before it tasted like heaven! (And would turn into 10 too many!)This is a miracle drug! I have no desire to drink and even if i find myself with a drink I can NOT finish. I've tried AA, counseling, groups, multiple DUI's and lawyer fees. NOTHING worked till now. I am around alcohol 50 hours a week and now remember those hours! I have no cravings or desire to drink. TRULY A MIRACLE DRUG!!!!!!

Comment from: Tigger, Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 05

I had the shot and in the evening drank 4 beers just out of curiosity. It was like drinking Odules. No buzz. It really works. Theres no use in me wasting my money. I could tell the alcohol was in my body.

Comment from: free again, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 28

from 12-14 beers atleast every other day, from the first day of the shot I went 8 days before having another drink. The first time I drank 5 beers (that really didn't taste as good as it used to) and on the fifth beer I dumped it out cause I just didn't want anymore. In 3 1/2 weeks after the shot I may have had a total of 10 beers which before would'nt be enough for one night..the side affects on me were very minimal nothng I couldn't handle. I am truely amazed of the effectiveness of this shot. I hoped it would work this good, but still had my doubts. I was wrong! It's the best choice I have made for me and my family.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 03

Shot barely hurts if done right - it's only once a month anyways. Totally amazing results with me. It's usually only given for a year. I strongly suggest getting counseling/AA support to supplement Vivitrol. People don't drink too much for no reason, the only way to stop forever is to fix your head as well.

Related Reading: vivitrol

Comment from: she ra, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 04

I am an alcoholic. I am also a healthcare worker and it was time to stop the insanity and gain control of my life. If you are serious about sobriety, get on your knees and pray to God. Reduce your drinking starting today, go to every AA meeting you can, call your physician and "come clean" about your addiction, get the necessary bloodwork to determine if you are a candidate for this treatment. Within a week, you will feel as if you have gone to heaven and come back reborn. This is a life changing committment and if you intend to continue drinking, don't pursue it. This treatment has incredible potential to save lives and change our society. If you don't have the insurance coverage or money to pay for it, ask your physician about other options. Godspeed!

Comment from: warren, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 26

i feel tired and sleepy, have loss of appetite

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 16

I am in my twenties and have been an opiate addict particularly oxycontin and roxicodone for over ten years turning this typical all-american girl into your average everyday criminal. I've been through inpatient treatment, outpatient treatment, in-patient again suboxone...you name it. Vivitrol has saved my life!! I went in to take my first injection using( I thought I had been through this withdrawal thing before) within a half-hour I was violently vomiting every couple minutes there is no other sick, withdrawal, childbirth that could even parallel. I ended up in the ER several hours later which I should have went directly. I had several medications administered by IV, including a large dose of ativan. The Dr. Would not even tell my family for sure if I was even going to make it. The next month was a complete blur lost 20 pounds. (I was a size 8 when I took the injection) eventually I gained back strength and was honestly angry that I could no longer use (I tried) then realizing...this really is INSANE. After around my second injection I was in agreement not rolling my eyes when it's said that it's a gift from God. After 4 injections I don't know if I will ever stop taking it. I'm not sure if it is the injection but I have experienced much nausea, headache, dry mouth, increased anxiety which is so minimal compared to any day using. Any addicts skeptical? Just try it and work a program even if it's one month. It has changed my life!!!

Related Reading: oxycontin | roxicodone | suboxone

Comment from: Chemistry Fan, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 02

I'm new to the program but felt I needed medication in addition to therapy and AA. I knew this was a brain chemistry issue and I'm a bit more of a believer in science over God to solve the problem - call me crazy. The shot itself was more like a stab with a mini-sword. I've never seen a shot administered by lifting the arm first to get momentum but it has to go deep into the butt muscles. I screamed! But besides that, it is incredible. My cravings have gone away. Of course, I have a very curious mind and though I was not craving alcohol, I wanted to see how I felt if I drank a half pint of vodka. It was completely different! No pleasure or euphoria, or a desire to have more. I didn't feel badly, but kindof itchy and hot. I would have much rather had a root beer. I was SO relieved it actually worked because if I knew it didn't, I'd continue to drink. But now...no point. It's simply a waste of money to drink alcohol. I hope I never have to go off of Vivitrol...for now at least.

Comment from: Lisann, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 30

This shot works well for removing my alcohol cravings. I had my first shot 2 weeks ago and haven't had any cravings since day 3. I haven't been able to sit down or sleep since the pain in my butt cheek is so intense. I've almost gone to the hospital 3 separate times when the pain got unbearable, then I remind myself they can't give me anything for the pain anyway......it wouldn't work! Pretty ironic! Not sure if I'll continue with it or not. I don't think the 24 hour a day pain is worth it!

Comment from: person197, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 23

I had been taking Naltrexone 50MG oral for a while until I discovered if I just stopped taking it when I wanted to drink, I would drink again. This would lead to a binge. I sought out Vivitrol since it would not allow me to have the choice. The shot was almost painless! I didn't have any nausea just a little drowsiness. I haven't had any desire for a drink just yet!

Related Reading: naltrexone

Addicted to Pills: The Health Risks of Drug Abuse See Slideshow
Comment from: Williams2626, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 10

The shot hurts like a mother! This is why I gave it two stars for ease of use. However, you only have to get the shot once a month which is good. It is a pain in the ass...literally! However, it WORKS which is the important thing. The first day I came home, I had no urge to drink. I had been drinking daily about 10 beers a night and I came home after the shot and could literally take or leave the been that was in the fridge...I left it!

Comment from: cheree, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 31

The drug was almost impossible to get approved by my insurance then to get administered by my Doctor!!! The injection site swelled up and has gotten bigger, harder, and wider every week for the last 5 weeks. Worse, the medication does not seem to be working at all! The only reason I stopped taking Naltrexone orally was due to serious stomach irritation. But at least that form of the drug was effective. Additionally, I am more depressed, experiencing violent episodes of anger, my sleep has been more disturbed than in years, and my appetite has increased. My lower back pain and all over joint pain is increased. I wish I could get this stuff out of me! I strongly caution anyone thinking to use this medication!!!!!

Related Reading: naltrexone | lower back pain

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 22

shot works great.Wonder Drug!!!!been a month, cravings are rare and disappear quickly. tried to drink to see what would happen. It tasted weird, I felt weird and poured it out. don't know yet if insurance will pay for it but it is a life saver. Do be careful when anesthetics are used by Dr, or Dentist. Make sure they know you are on the drug.My face went numb once from an injection in my hip. My Dr. told me to wear a medical alert tag. I didn't and I should have.

Comment from: tinatina, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 23

good in blocking alcohol cravings, but major nausea and vertigo

Related Reading: vertigo

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 31

I was a binge drinker for years.Drank pints of vodka 4/5 nights a week.Started intensive outpatient program.I had my first shot 3 weeks ago.Shot did not hurt,No side effects.No desire to drink.Checked to see if it works.Did feel a little buzz.Was told it was because I drank 3 days before my injection.Do not drink for 7/10 days before injection.Woman for Sobriety is my support system.(For women only)

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 11

Seems to work better for me than oral naltrexone (probably because I don't wash it down with liquor). Only complaint is the golf ball in my ass for four days after injection.

Related Reading: naltrexone

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 27

Drank almost every day. Cant/dont want to drink anything when I take this shot.

Comment from: Wrhvivitrol, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 11

I was a frequent "slip-er" regarding alcohol use. I asked my Dr. about a drug possibility and he recommended Vivitrol. After some wrangling to get my insurance to cover it (which they do) I took it for 3 months (3 injections) along with counseling and involvement in AA and I am feeling great with very little craving. My craving happens when I am in unhealthy places, there are no cravings at other times. No side effects except for a little ache at injection site which lasts a couple hours.

Related Reading: vivitrol

Comment from: SQUINCH, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

THIS IS MY THIRD (3RD) SHOT AND I HAVENT WANTED A DRINK FOR THREE MONTHS,ONLY PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS ACHING JOINTS AND MUSCLES AND TIREDNESS,WILL DISCONTINUE ATER ONE MORE SHOT AA,SPONSOR AND THEARPHY ARE HELPING ME COPE WITH THE DIEASE.

Comment from: polyester, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 29

This med works pretty good. But when you first get the shot, it's hell. It will IMMEDIEATELY dump the rest of the opiates and put you through detox. I started treatment in the hospital and wished I could have stayed until I was through (5-9) days. Make sure you have a great support system when you start this program.

From WebMD Logo