Votrient

Comment from: Janet, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 31

I began treatment for kidney cancer after having my left kidney remover. A spot then developed in my left lung. This was removed by sugery. Another spot developed in my right lung and was determined to be renal cell. I began taking voltrient 800 mg and after 5 mos and 2 wks this spot was gone. I stoped taking it for 3 mos and another spot occured. I have been back on voltrient for 6 mos and this tumor has reduced by 50%. Side effects have been almost constant diarrhea and some nausa. My hair has turned white and I have noticed some thinning. d

Related Reading: kidney cancer | tumor

Comment from: bb, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 29

I've been on Votrient over a year. It has worked quite well on the soft tissue tumors, keeping them stable or shrinking, but not as well on the bone mets. Diarrhea did not become a problem until after the first six months. Other than hair color change, no other side effects.

Related Reading: votrient | diarrhea

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 19

After having my left kidney removed and the failure of interleukin 2 treatments, my oncologist started me on votrient. 800 mg caused terrible hand pain and bruising, switched to a tolerable 600mg and have had shrinkage of the metastatic lung growths so far. 7 months so far on it and side effects include fairly constant diarrhea and all my hair turned white. Also have to take several relatively high dose blood pressure meds to combat the elevated blood pressure side effect.

Related Reading: votrient

Comment from: lmdfarm, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 17

After having a kidney removed Jan of 09. As of April 2010, I now have metastacic renal cell carcinoma to both lungs. I was taking Torisel IV treatments until I developed an out of control infection.Started Votrient in November 2010, am doing very well on it so far.

Related Reading: torisel

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 08

I have been taking this medicine for 3 months and feel great with no side effects. Going back to MD Anderson on Dec 5th. Looking for good news. Very optimistic. Thank the Lord.

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 31

I have been on this drug since last Oct and have little or no side effects. Had a cancer in my right in 1999 and the kidney was removed. In 2009 I was ct'ed for 8 months until the Pulminologist has the area between my lungs biopsed, showed 3 clear cell lymp nodes and one renal cell cancer. Have been going to MD Anderson for over a year and my last vist (FEB) the doctor said 2 lymp nodes had schrunk and 2 were slitley larger. Am optimistic and believe in MD Anderson. Keep the faith and pray to God.

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: kenneth Brown, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 14

When I started I was on 800mg but my liver was effected too much so we dropped to 400 which was tolerable. At one point we decided to go to 600 which caused serious diarrhea. Has anyone had good results at the 400mg dose? My recent PET/CT showed previous tumors in check but 1 small new spot. I have been on Votrient for 8 mths.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: Skipper, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 10

I am also a diabetic taking glipizide. When taking sutent my sugar increased, when taking afinnator my sugar increased, when I started taking this votrient my sugar decreased. I was taking 10 mg twice a day and now I have backed off to 5 mg daily. When I first started takng Votrient I had to close episodes with low sugar. I've had to back off sugar medication until down to 5 mg daily and holding my own right now. Yet I can find no reference to sugar in the list of side effects. Do you have any?

Related Reading: glipizide | sutent

Comment from: Azzie, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 18

I have been on Pazopanib since 05/11 after having Left kidney removed in 07/09. Due to side effects I came off it for 3 months 08-11/12 to give my body a rest. in this time my metastatic went from just my right lung also into left lung. So I went back to taking 800 mg a day. Both tumours are stable at present, I put up with the fatigue, diarhea, tingling fingers, sore mouth, & dryness. Pazopanib gives me a good quality of life where I can go away for many weeks at a time travelling.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: GD, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 19

Had my right kidney removed 4/2011 and started sutent 2months later for almost a year and experienced negative side effects with no positive results. Changed to Afinitor and experienced no improvements but consistant swelling in the legs. Feb 2013 started Votrient at 800mg. Changed to 400mg after experiencing swelling of the tongue and throat and have had possible results so far. Looking for this to be the answer with Gods blessing.

Related Reading: sutent | afinitor | votrient

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 02

Fairly easy to tolerate. Worst SE is hypertension.

Comment from: photographer, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 03

After having my left kidney removed in Oct 2010, spots in the lung were addressed. Started drug Jan 2012, reduced spots in lung by March but stopped reducing by end of May. White hair, lose of hair, lose of taste, diarrhea, high blood pressure, were all side effects that were tolerable. The black spots in the vision were not. Since no further reduction to spots in the lungs, a switch to "Everolimus" is recommended. New side effects to look forward too!!!

Related Reading: diarrhea | high blood pressure

Comment from: gdm, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 23

i think it has kept me alive

Comment from: Rockcliff, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 29

I was diagnosed with renal cancer in December 2015 and had my right kidney removed in January 2016. My Oncologist had me undergo a CT scan every 2 months. In August 2016 tumors in my lungs and lymph nodes showed significant growth. A biopsy of several lymph nodes revealed renal cell cancer and I started taking 800 mg/day of Votrient in September. After 3 months, I just completed my first CT scan and virtually all of the tumors from the previous scan had reduced in size, some as much as 50%. I had difficulty adjusting to the Votrient initially as I take Prilosec for acid reflux and my Oncologist told me I could only take a dose in the morning if I take the Votrient at night. I have been able to control the acid reflux by drinking concentrated Aloe Vera juice before bed time and purchasing a mechanical bed that allows me to sleep very comfortably with my head up about 30 degrees. At one point my sodium got dangerously low and I was hospitalized for 3 days. They had me reduce my water intake to 1.5 liters per day and this seems to have solved the sodium problem. Now my biggest issue is neuropathy on the bottoms of my feet. New more comfortable shoes, Capsaicin cream, and Merino wool socks have helped solve the problem. My blood pressure increased initially, and I had never had blood pressure issues. However, I have been able to return to working out – core exercises with a lot of repetitions and moderate weights with many repetitions- 3 times a week. The result is that I am feeling stronger, have less fatigue, and my blood pressure has returned to normal. I am extremely pleased with the results I am experiencing with Votrient after my body became used to it and I made the concessions to reduce the side effects.

Related Reading: cancer | prilosec | aloe

Comment from: karyann, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: October 23

some chest pain, tiredness, Memory loss, depression, hair color change, out of all side effects listed, there has been very minimum scans are still clear of all cancer.My daughter has been on this almost 10 mo. She was stage 4 when DX one year ago, with synovial sarcoma. She did 5 inpatient hosp. stays at 3 days every 3 wks. Then began Votrient. So far has had no real problems. She has done very well.

Related Reading: chest pain | depression

Comment from: EJS, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 29

Thank you, Glaxo-Smith Kline! After 7 days of taking Votrient, my tumors (soft-tissue sarcoma) have noticeably decreased in size. On April 26, 2012, the FDA officially approved Votrient for Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcomas. Knowing that FDA approval was imminent, I began taking Votrient on April 21, 2012, for Malignant Fibrous Histiocytoma in my left flank/retroperitoneal. I am a 22 year survivor of MFH sarcoma (now known as UPS), and had been on traditional chemotherapy for 8 years. I had success with ifosfamide/adriamycin, and gemzar/taxotere. But, my tumors mutated to grow resistant to those chemos. I have no surgical or radiation options. VOTRIENT looks like it will prolong my life! My doctor had given me 6 months, unless I could find a drug that would work. I tried two clinical trials. And, now VOTRIENT! Compared to anything I have taken, Votrient has few side-effects. I had a slight increase in blood pressure (that started on Day One). I may have a little fatigue. I couldn't tell you if my hair color is changing -- I have been bald for 8 years. If I have any new side-effects or changes, I will report again. Thank you, GSK and FDA (for fast-tracking the approval).

Related Reading: votrient | gemzar | taxotere

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma in Feb. 2012, a tumor in my right thigh. Had chemo therapy and 5 weeks of radiation then surgery in June 2012 to remove the tumor. A few months later I had a tumor removed from my right lung. Then more tumors showed up so no further surgeries. Now I have it in both lungs and liver. After 8 rounds of chemo I started on the Votrient March 2014. First CT scans were very encouraging, no new tumors, all were stable or had minimal decrease in size. The last scans were not as we hoped. Some had increased in size and a new one in my liver. I'm staying on the Votrient until Dec. then oncology is looking at changing to a new chemo oral drug.

Related Reading: tumor | liver

Comment from: Colette, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 21

I am currently battleing mesenchymal chondrosarcoma. It originated in my right thigh 2008, had the tumor removed, was cancer free for 3 years then was diagnosed last year with it again, with 5 tumors this time which had spread in my pelvic area, right lung and right armpit (July 2012). I've tried a few chemo therapy treatments and during that time frame, the tumors grew plus one new one appeared. In August 2012 I was placed on Votrient (800 mg), the tumors stopped growing and have been stable ever since. My last scan was June 11, 2013 and all 6 tumors are still holding stable and have shown some shrinkage. The side effects come and go, I am experiencing more muscle pain throughout my body and still some nausea, but those things can be controlled with meds.

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: Stoop, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 10

Almost constant pain, nausea, fatigue, bruising, gum and teeth problems, GI issues. I've been on for about 4 months and scans a month ago showed 25% shrinkage of all lymph nodes that were effected. So I guess it's working.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Lola, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 28

I been on VOTRIENT for 2 weeks now. The 1st day I experienced the diaherria, vomiting, dizziness, & fainting. started taking ZOPHRAN & CAMPOZINE for all that thank God. About 2 days ago I started getting soar mouth, redness on face, & taste buds out of whack food taste nasty but thats about it. Oh also hair is growing black and white normally dark brown. white hair growing curly and black hair growing super straight very odd. My skin is starting to go white again skin clearing up better. Im satisfied at the moment with VOTRIENT but wont know till I get CT Scan in few weeks. Oh Im taking Votrient bcuz I have UTERINE SARCOMA HIGH GRADE STAGE 4 what a mouth full huh. Anyway God bless all of you who are sick.

Related Reading: votrient | dizziness | fainting