Wellbutrin

Comment from: sissylou71, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 23

I started taking Wellbutrin about 2 months ago for depression and it has definately helped me. I was DESPERATE to keep my marriage intact and to be a better mother. I walked around sad all the time with no desire or motivation for no reason at all. I also seemed angry all the time. At first, I was a little nauseus and a tiny bit dizzy, but the thing that I noticed most was that I was restless at night and my mind RACED and I could NOT shut it down! I didn't sleep much the 1st few nights so the pharamcist reduced my dosage to 150mg per day instead of 300mg (SR, not XL) and I could sleep again, felt less dizzy and less nauseus as the days went by until eventually I felt normal except for the dry mouth that I have 24/7. Recently I noticed after 2 months that it seemed to wane just a little and I felt some anxiety again. I asked the pharmacist about increasing my dosage. He put me on 200 mg per day about 3 days ago and WHAM! The nuaseusness hit full force today and I threw up and felt so dizzy that the room continued to spin and I could not function. I have been drinking a lot of water to flush it out of my system and I feel better now. He is now going to let me try 200mg per day in 2 doses 12 hours apart instead of just one big 200 mg dose all at one time.(I weigh less than 120 lbs so it was a bit much for me) Be patient, if you are taking it for less than a month, stay with it for a little longer, the side effects went away for me. My family members do not know that I am trying this. I noticed that I am much more relaxed and less obsessive about stupid little things and I think more clearly, have more energy, and am a bit more patient with my kids. It helped me to realize how today is important and to enjoy what I have now because life is too short! I still feel anxious at times, but not like I used to be! Also, I am not so negative all the time and critical about others. I hope that it continues to work for me! I wrote a lot in hopes of helping others.

Related Reading: wellbutrin | depression | dry mouth

Comment from: SweetLatina30, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

Wellbutrin gave me my life back. I had been seeing a therapist for months before I told my real doctor about my depression and he gave me a prescription. I just found myself more confused by therapy, but Wellbutrin allowed me to think clear again. I never needed therapy again. Just make sure you withdraw from it slowly. Itried to just stop and it was hard. When I slowly reduced the dose I was able to get off it okay. My sister took Paxil and stayed hooked on it. It also killed her sex drive and caused her divorce. Her husband cheated on her. I didn't have any problems like that with Wellbutrin and I lost 18 pounds! God bless the people who invented this stuff.

Related Reading: paxil

Comment from: Thankful, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 05

I normally never write on these things, but this medication has worked SO WELL for me, that I wanted to share, in case my comments might help someone who is undecided about Wellbutrin. I have had severe depression for about 10 years. Had been on prozac and effexor before wellbutrin. They both worked, but not even close to how the wellbutrin is helping me! I'm taking 300mg XL per day. I felt so much happier even on day 1... I couldn't believe how happy I was & still am feeling! I didn't know it was possible for a person to even feel this happy! (Not to mention the increased sex drive)! ?? I also have severe fibromyalgia & social anxiety. Wellbutrin has helped all of it! I knew my effexor was not working for me any longer, since I had been on it for 3 years already. I found myself gradually staying home from functions I would normally attend, was EXTREMELY fatigued & just wanted to stay in bed all day. My family told me I was very irritable. I didn't see it. I first had my hormone levels checked to see if that was the problem, The hormones were all normal.I called my psychiatrist the next day and started on the wellbutrin. My family and I noticed a difference immediately, I was laughing again! It has given me an enormous energy boost! I have gotten things done that I've been meaning to do for the last couple of years, but could never do because of the lack of energy & motivation. I even started a part time job! It has suppressed my appetite, which I'm excited about, since I need to lose some weight. I have never been happier than I am now! Please realize though that all medications don't work for EVERY person... our brain chemistries are all different, but I would most definitely give it a try! I wish you all the best & hope it works as well for you as it has for me. There were minor side effects the first couple of weeks, (headaches & insomnia) but they went away and I couldn't be more happy or thankful for how much Wellbutrin has helped me!

Related Reading: prozac | effexor | fibromyalgia

Comment from: B-Ok, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 22

Started on 150mg for a week, then 300mg for most of the 19 months since then. Paxil was my 1st poison, but the mental fog was too much for me. Tried Lexapro and Celexa for relapses, but.. didn't work. They just kept me 'comfortably numb' enough to get on with my life. Wellbutrin, on the other hand, contributed to a positive change in my outlook. I'm about to finish a graduate program for a professional degree I used to think was way beyond my capabilities. In addition to the degree, I'm in a fairly stable & supportive relationship (not the abusive, drunken ones of my youth), and have picked up 5K's as a recent hobby. Lost about 30 lbs within the 1st year. My major downfall is remembering to take my meds everyday at the same time. When I do forget, it takes about 48 hours for the creepy crawling feelings to start clouding my mind, and those are hard for me to shake off. About 4 months ago, I was struggling with my need to take antidepressants, and convinced myself that I could do just fine without any help from therapy + meds. Needless to say, I had a major meltdown within days that took 2 1/2 months of work to finally get ahead. Now, 5 weeks back on generic bupropion, I'm realizing the benefits I was afforded with this treatment - alert, focused, driven, confident - I felt more like the person I want to be, plus I have a healthy sex drive. Also, I never, ever want to go through withdrawal again, so I'm declining a recent Rx for Pristiq and all SSRI/SNRIs for as long as possible. I take 2 x 150mg pills everyday before 12pm, to take advantage of the elevated mood + energy boost and ability to really sleep afterwards. I still have my low moments, but I do recover with learned techniques & support.

Related Reading: lexapro | celexa | antidepressants

Comment from: Thankful2BeHere, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 28

I've been taking Wellbutrin consistently for approximately 8 years now. It was the one and only anti-depressant I was even willing to try based on the possible side-effects. Thankfully, it worked for me because I know many people have to try several different types of meds before they find the right one (or combination) that will work for them. I do recall that it took about six weeks for many of the initial side effects to go away; tingling sensation, bad taste in mouth, mild nausea, insomnia, etc. At the time, I was severely depressed/suicidal and suffered from PTSD as well. The initial bothersome side effects were minor compared to my critical emotional state, so I didn't focus on them too much. I'm glad for that now, because I could've easily decided that the drug wasn't working and found myself getting on the medication roller coaster that many people suffer through. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't taken this drug. The other thing that helped is that I didn't rely on medication alone. At my worst, I was seeing a counselor 2-3 times per week. Eventually, I was able to go on a very light dose (100mg 1xday), just as a preventative measure. That was 6 years ago. No recurrence of depression and I couldn't identify any side effects that are problematic if I tried. Severe, chronic depression runs in my familly and my first onset of this level of clinical depression was when I was just 9 years old, (I'm 45 now). One of my brothers was even younger. The only family members that are not struggling with severe depression are the ones that are on Wellbutrin. One family member changed meds (from Well to many others) because he couldn't deal with the insomnia and he spent the next 4 years spiraling down to the pits of hell. He went back on it 6 months ago and he's doing well. Yeah, I'm a big fan of Wellbutrin and a fortunate one at that. Good luck to those of you just embarking on recovery. My heart really goes out to you.

Related Reading: wellbutrin | insomnia | depression

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 04

This has been a miracle drug for me. No other antidepressants made a difference. I forgot what it felt like to feel happy and normal until I went on the right dosage of Wellbutrin. Depression is GONE! More energy than ever. Working full time and taking care of kids and a house is no longer a problem. I lost 20 lbs in 4 months and have kept it off for a year. Just finished a half marathon and I'm training for a full marathon. After years of being a somewhat lazy underachiever, I feel like I am finally becoming the person I was meant to be at 40 years old.

Related Reading: antidepressants | depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 05

I started taking 150mg of Welbutrin a few months ago, at first I was a bit sick did not want to eat and lost some weight, and the side effects slowly tapered. Then my doctor up me to 300mg and I feel like a new person. I do not feel down, it's the exact opposite! Mr sex drive is better and I'm able to handle stress and situations more easily. I look forward to getting up in the morning and taking care of myself,loving myself more and more. (Still looosing weight! And love to workout now.)My family and friends are happy and they cannot beleive the change I made in little time. I got my life, self confidence back, and then some. What can I say, I'm happy :)

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: Taximan, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 04

Wellbutrin worked for me on the very 1st day I took it. It totally alleviated my depression until I suffered a death in the family. But before that it made me so happy that people thought I was high. I also like that it gives me a boost of energy. I didn't need much at 1st, only 75 mg a day. Now I take 150mg SR. I only use it on days I need to be active. That's another good thing about it. I can use it as needed. I did try Wellbutrin XL and found them to NOT work. So if you try the XL tabs and it doesn't work, try the SR tabs before you give up.

Related Reading: wellbutrin xl

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 08

FINALLY after a ten year ongoing battle with depression, severe depression and anxiety with panic attacks, I have finally found the right drug combination. In the past I had a history of starting an antidepressant when things got really bad for me, noticed myself improving then gradually stopped taking it...then gradually fell back into the dark hole that felt impossible to get out of. I have been taking different doses of Prozac for about the last 6 years ( which I also love when I stay on it ! ) and Celexa before that.. ( made me wayy too sleepy, counterproductive because when i'm depressed ALL i do is sleep ). This last time around, I had finally had enough, I wanted to pull myself together and stay on the medicine once and for all ( hey your Brain is an organ, and if you need medication stay on it! feeling great means it is working :) ) I went back on my Prozac ( 40 mg in Feb. when my depression was at it's worst, and anxiety= vicious cycle) and slowly noticed it taking effect, but not as effective as it was. My Dr. added the Wellbutrin ( 100 mg at first, now 200 ) and within 1-2 weeks I felt better than I have ever, ever. My motivation is back, determination, focus, energy, self worth and purpose all have returned, and gone are the days i feel lost, exhausted, and like a total piece of shit. Talk to your Dr.! With these meds I've had a whole life style change, I was able to lose 30 pounds and counting, my binge emotional eating has subsided, i work out, went back to school and work like 50 hours a week! I eat great, natural, and organic foods that help fuel my body and mind, and do yoga to center myself. ALl i needed was that little push, and at almost 30 I'm finally a better version of myself. Hang in there!!! I promise there is hope!

Related Reading: anxiety | panic attacks | prozac

Comment from: Meligraphics, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 29

I just started taking Wellbutrin, and obviously should have started it many years ago. I believe its going to save my life. Unfortunately I have made some poor decisions over the years, and being depressed so much seems obvious to me now, was a huge part of those poor decisions(as well as evidence in journals, and doctor notes to prove depression was "at fault"). I guess better late than never. Its a relief to feel better, not cry every day, to feel good, or at least normal about yourself. The side effects are with me, but I don't care! Just try to get on it slower if possible. Don't cut the pills in half, I made that mistake, it can cause an overdose or seizures. I was lucky and wised up on that. The reviews on this page have helped me a lot, and I want to thank everyone for helping, and the website for making this available. I am 52 yrs old now, maybe now I can make better decisions, act better, listen better, whine less, focus more, eat less, care more, and be more appealing to myself and others. Its amazing how so many things can be tied to and capable of working for you, when you get the help. I hope you get the help sooner than I did, I waited way too many years to get this help, don't wait, at least give it a try.

Related Reading: wellbutrin | depression

Comment from: DontNo2Much, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 12

I had been taking Wellbutrin for a few weeks (maybe about 6)and I was feeling good, looking good, doing good, everything was GREAT. I was taking (at first) 1-150mg AM, I has relayed to my doctor that I really really needed to quit smoking, so he says "ok!", "lets up your dose to 1-150mg AM and then 1-150 at noon. (For a few days, he says.) 4 or 5 days later, I went to 300mg AM and 150 at noon. I carried on (with life) as if nothing was happening. Then about 2 maybe 2 1/2 months into the 450mg daily, I woke up one day and started doing my 'honey do's (like always), but this time, i noticed it was almost noon and I hadn't lit a cigarette all day! Well dam, (i'm thinking) I haven't even wanted one all day. I didn't quit all at once. I went from a pack a day to 1/2 pack. THAT DAY. stayed with 1/2 pack for about a week. Maybe. From there, i went from 1/2pack 10 a day to 8 and then 7. From 7 to 5, then down to 4 a day. I kinda go stuck of 3 for a few more days than i thought I would but, i climbed the hill anyways and i was now at two a day. For a few days. And then 1. a day. For a few days. Then finally, I had one last cigarette in my car and i smoked it maybe 1/2 down,...and pitched it out the window. From day one until I lit my last one was about 4 weeks. But it wasn't the nicotine i was having to break myself from. The Wellbutrin had completely removed all urges and cravings for nicotine. The hardest part with stopping to smoke with Wellbutrin,was the 'breaking' of my old habits. I was well on my way of ridding myself of smoking, My only obstacle was "what to do with my hands???" For so long, if i got on the phone, lite it up. ON the computer, lite it up. Driving down the road in my car,...lite it up. sitting on the front deck, watch the birds fly by,...lite it up! But after I got past all that 'easy' stuff, i was and AM on my way to a much healthier body. For my Grandchildren sake. It's been 5 months this past March 5th. I'm really, really proud of myself.

Related Reading: smoking | nicotine

Comment from: Susanne, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 18

I have been taking Wellbutrin for about 3 weeks now. I was switched off of Paxil and Zoloft after SERIOUS weight gain was making me depressed (LOL). Anyway, I take it for anxiety/OCD. I am extremely satisfied with the effects of this drug. I have none of the side effects that people mention. To be honest, I have none of the side effects at ALL. The only thing that I notice about this medication verses the others is that I have a little more energy, I don't feel like I am in a fog, and I have lost 4 pounds! I am certainly not going to complain over THOSE side effects. I can see where some people feel that they can't sleep. With that in mind, I started taking my medication FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! By evening, I have no problem sleeping at all. My biggest word of advise to everyone is to remember that statistically, when people are complaining about something, they tell 10 people, but when they are satisfied with something, they tell one or two. Don't allow the reviews to deter you from trying this medication, or any other medication that may help you live a normal life. Try...and try again...until you find the one that works for you. Wellbutrin is certainly the one that works for me. I wish you the best of health!

Related Reading: paxil | zoloft | anxiety

Comment from: msp, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 28

I've been on this med for three weeks now, and it's already helped me. I am sleeping on a normal schedule, I'm less panicky and obsessive, and am having fewer depressive thoughts. I feel like it's given me my life back. Previously, I had taken Zoloft, which made me feel spaced-out and took away my libido. Wellbutrin has helped with my depression without taking away any of the good stuff. I've had some side effects-- nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and restlessness/aggression/sleeplessness for the first few days, but it wasn't anything I couldn't live with, and most of it has passed by now. Of course, no one med is perfect for everyone, but this one seems to be working for me.

Comment from: Serafina, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 31

My depression was expressed by daytime lethargy/ sleepiness/ lack of focus, and general apathy. Around the third or fourth week of Wellbutrin my excessive sleepiness had dissapated and a I experienced much better focus and attention. I no longer needed Adderral to remain focused and alert. At approximately week seven the cloud of depression was gone and I feel able to work on the stressors in my life without feeling overwhelmed and exhausted and impatient. No sexual side effects. The benefit has been subtle over time yet significant.

Related Reading: depression | wellbutrin

Comment from: immanuelle, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 16

Buproprion (Wellbutrin) is an antidepressant that does not cause weight gain, and is also helpful with addictions. I love love love this drug. I take 300mg once a day (I have friends who took lower doses, and it didn't work for them) and the first time I took it, I immediately felt better. I actually got a buzz from it the first time-like way too much coffee-but that disappeared the next day. I have no trouble sleeping while taking it, but it does give me constipation, to a degree-not too bad though. It also increases sexual desire, to a degree that might make it a woman's Viagra. Everyone's body chemistry is different, but I went from being a depressed, irritable witch, to being happy and mellow. I feel peppy, not terribly hungry, and happy. That's a big improvement, but I was never exceedingly depressed, except episodically, so I don't know if it's strong enough for someone with severe depression. It works for me though, and I really like taking it.

Related Reading: constipation | viagra

Comment from: flipflops, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 20

It's been over a month since I began taking Bupropion along with Effexor. I had been depressed, suffered from anxiety and general unhappiness. Within days I could feel the fog in my brain start to lift. Was able to go on planned vacation, which I was going to cancel, and had a wonderful time. This drug, added to my Effexor, has allowed me to feel happy and want to do things instead of staying home and not wanting to go out. Depression/anxiety is very cruel and unless someone has walked in our shoes they have no idea how incapacitating it can be.

Related Reading: bupropion | effexor | anxiety

Comment from: cravingchaos, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 01

Wellbuprin has helped my depression more than other antidepressants, but I'm still moderately depressed. However, it has not caused any weight gain. In fact, I've lost 20 pounds that I gained on other antidepressants. Also, it has the complete opposite effect on my libido than other antidepressants. It actually enhances my sex drive.

Related Reading: antidepressants

Comment from: me27513, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 10

Why do docs use only one drug at a time? After 20 years of experimenting with SSRIs, I have an almost ideal combo of Wellbutrin XL (generic) 150 mg each morning PLUS Lexapro 10 mg each night. Wellbutrin made me hyper at first, so I lowered the dosage. It has no negative sexual side effects, so it balances Lexapro nicely (in fact, it has the opposite effect). No weight gain, late-night munchies, sleeping all the time. It's truly different from all the rest. Effexor was awful, Paxil made me fat, Zoloft made me sleepy, Prozac made me nuts, and none of those helped my depression. Wellbutrin saved me, and its generics are so much cheaper than the alternatives. If you're not doing well with the standard Rx, try this...it's truly different, and ask your doc about combining meds.

Related Reading: wellbutrin xl | lexapro | paxil

Comment from: TexMex, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 20

Wellbutrin has been the only antidepressant that's worked for me. I enjoy life again and now that I'm active my weight is within normal range, and the extra benefits are that I'm more focused and organized. Even family members who were against me taking Wellbutrin have changed their minds after seeing me enjoy life again. I will not feel guilty taking this antidepressant (it is not a sign of weakness) I wished I had taken it years ago.

Comment from: Jersey JJ, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 12

First off, my family on my dad's side has major league depression -- grandma, uncle, aunt and cousin committed suicide, and my father had severe bipolar. I'd had minor bouts of it, but hadn't suffered from it until a traumatic business occurence when I was 50, and I fell into it, deep. I'd tried SSRI's in the past and HATED them --- the sexual side-effects are horrible!! My sister had great success with Wellbutrin, so my doctor prescribed it. Started on 150mg XL. It is a miracle!! I've had no side effects whatsoever. I came out of my deep funk. After 4 months I went up to 300mg XL. I've lost weight, have fantastic sex, and feel better about myself. It's still a struggle, but this drug has helped me out SO SO MUCH!!!

Related Reading: depression | suicide | wellbutrin

Comment from: Catsoncatsoncats, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm a 20 year old female college student. I'm currently on generic Wellbutrin SR, 150 mg twice a day (8 hrs apart). I have been on this medication for 4 weeks now, following a 2 week horror period on Lexapro. Wellbutrin isn't supposed to be effective immediately, but when I started it, I noticed a huge increase in energy and my ability to pay attention, my thoughts felt less cloudy and I felt more optimistic everyday. Those feelings faded a little after about 4 or 5 days (likely a placebo effect). I have found that drinking alcohol while on this medication makes me turn into a totally awful person to be around. I would get mad at the slightest thing and be completely unable to get over it, no matter how hard my partner tried to help. I would basically shut down for the night if I drank, and would feel depressed for 2-3 days afterward as well. I have been a self-harmer for about 6 or 7 years. While on this medication, I have only cut twice, but have become much more optimistic that I can stop my addiction to self-harm. I feel like life is more worth living in general and I tend to have a more positive outlook, even when there is some issue at hand. I don't feel like everything that goes wrong is my fault and I feel like I've become more productive and feel much more rewarded when I complete things. One other positive of this medication is that it has really decreased my appetite. I'm only slightly overweight at 5'4" and about 145-150 lbs, but I used to eat all the time and now I don't usually feel like I'm hungry, even when I go half the day without eating. I eat more for taste and for health now than out of boredom. Overall I've had a pretty positive experience, and I will likely be switching to the extended release, 300 mg once a day the next time I see my doctor.

Related Reading: wellbutrin sr | lexapro

Comment from: Happy camper, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: March 31

It has changed my life.I now have enough energy to throughout the day.Before I was dragging myself around and had to force myself to do anything. Yes, I too had irebility and little dizzy in the beginning but it mostly went away. I still have dry mouth but I can live with that. I also lost 30 pounds and it gives you the motivation to start exercising and living a more healthier and active life.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 31

Wellbutrin is the best thing that has happened to my life. My first 3 weeks were awful. They made me sick and cloudy, confused. But it has been 6 months now and I feel amazing. I can't remember the last time I had a bad day(I do have a stressful life). I have been depressed for many long years and nothing has ever worked for me, until now with Wellbutrin. I finally feel like myself. Depression runs in my life. I told my mother and sister about my remarkable transformation and they are both taking it with astounding result. I honestly and truly recommend Wellbutrin.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 30

Started out with 125mg twice a day for the first couple of months. That changed the 3rd month to one 300mg pill a day. I have taken this drug for almost 2 years now. I no longer feel depressed as I did. I was on the verge of suicide and couldn't look at myself in the mirror. That isn't a problem at all anymore. I smile all the time! co-workers and family have seen the difference. I lost +70 in the year after the first 6 months and I'm still dropping. I no longer fear going into public and I love doing active things again. Have had no negative reactions to taking this drug.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 24

I started taking Wellbutrin after a year of being on Lexepro. And WOW!! What a difference! On Lexepro: weight gain, no sex drive, horrible mood swings, zombie like state, felt out of control constantly. On Wellbutrin: I FEEL GREAT! The only negative side effect is difficulty falling asleep. Which isn't all that bad considering all I wanted to do on Lexepro was sleep all the time. I'm glad I switched to Wellbutrin.