Wellbutrin XL

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 05

Before this medication I was absolutley a mess. I was crying almost everyday, on my days off from work I would lay on the couch and would not get up all day. I had stopped going out with friends, gained over 30 lbs, and overall just didn't care about anything. I decided it was time to take action and as much as I thought, oh this is a phase and I will snap out of it, I realized I couldn't do it on my own anymore. I started out at 150 mg and yes, there were side effects. I couldn't sleep at night, I lost my appettite (which I didn't mind), I was alot more anxious and kind of trembly, and I was sweating alot more and really thirsty. At first I was like, I can't do this, I work 12 hours a day I need sleep and food and, etc. These side effects lasted for about 2 months. For the sleeping issues I started taking this medication right when I woke up in the morning, about 5:30 am. I noticed that this helped me have more energy through the day and wore off toward the evenings but, still I was only sleeping like 4 hours a night. I started taking Xanax and Ambien, not together and not every night, but this helped alot. I have been on this medication for almost a year now, my doctor upped my dose to 300mg, I am soooo much more motivated, happy, and I have found me again.I have lost over 20 lbs and like I said this medicine gives me energy and the motivation to workout now and care about what I look like. The nervous, anxious, trembling feeling has gone away. I still sweat a little moe than usual and am thirsty but, it is not a major thing to me, I have adjusted. I would really recommend this mediaction to anyone who was having the symptoms of depression like I was. And, those symptoms weren't at certain times in the season or just every once in a while, yes they were worse during winter then summer. I was on a roller coaster of emotions up and down and I needed major help. Give this med. a try, ride out the side effects if you can, it is worth it in the end!!!!

Related Reading: xanax | ambien | depression

Comment from: DJKLondon, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 47 year old male diagnosed with ADHD combined with bouts of major depression. Over the years I have tried every tricyclic, SSRI, SNRI and atypical antidepressant on the market. While I was taking Ritalin or Dexedrine I never experienced the dpression but I decided that I wanted to go medication-free for my ADHD. I question the wisdom of that decision but anyhow my doctor suggested we try Wellbutrin and I agreed. I started by taking 150mg first thing in the morning and then 300mg every morning since then. It's been about 5 months now and I can't believe the change in how I feel! Wellbutrin lifted me out of the depression right away (ie within 2 days) and it helps with the ADHD symptoms as well. Not to the same extent as the stimulants but it's enough that I can focus now and get tasks completed. I am so thankful for whoever invented bupropion. One think I noticed is that it is closely related to amphetamine and diethylpropion, both used in the past as anti-depressants/anorectics. I believe it is this similarity that gives Wellbutrin the edge over the SSRI's (which are garbage in my opinion)currently in use and I would not hesitate to recommend Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR or XL to anyone who is suffering the debilitating symptoms of depression! Two thumbs up for Wellbutrin!

Related Reading: ritalin | wellbutrin | bupropion

Comment from: SereNole, on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 24

This has been the only anti-depressant I've tried that didn't make me feel worse than I did before. Zoloft actually had me contemplating suicide and Effexor had me gaining so much weight I physically felt just as bad as I did mentally. I tried others too before finally trying this one. The biggest plus was that I've LOST weight, cravings were drastically reduced, and my libido wasn't compromised. That was truly wonderful!

Related Reading: zoloft | suicide | effexor

Comment from: SunnyRays, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 08

If there is anyone who knows this drug it's me. I've been on it since it was created. If you want further info you can email me b/c it won't all fit here: [email protected] This drug works for depression & smoking cessation-no doubt. However, don't expect to be able to stop taking it, in my case, perhaps ever. 5 x's I've stopped. The 1st 3 were due to no insurance & by the 3rd I was 'rationing' pills and splitting them in half. The 4th was an attempt to ween myself and the 5th was w/a Dr.'s assistance that Rx'd another drug to ease me off. I CANNOT BE WITHOUT THIS DRUG. It's a horrendous 'rubber band effect' I call the "crash n burn". It took awhile for me realize that It may be a month or so after it's out of your system to happen, but it will happen, and it will be harsh. I have taken this drug w/little conjunction of other drugs and know that it works to promote an overall sense of well being. BUT there are side effects [for me-everyone is different and thus cannot be expected to have the exact same experience]. For me I do have dry mouth, periodic insomnia, lower sex drive and constipation (the latter 2 were present before, just intensified by the drug). I feel like a Rx junkie, getting low on this drug causes me to panic. I have hoarded it for ins. changes. You win GSK- you now own me. I hope you're happy and proud of yourself. Despite choosing to be happy and not wanting to rely on a chemical to make that be, I no longer can. Perhaps I'm being too harsh on GSK and I truly have a chemical imbalance that will always need to be corrected??? Could be. I just think the warning should be known of how powerful Wellbutrin really is. Is it a miracle drug or the socially acceptable form of crack or smack? I have developed a love/hate relationship with it at this point in my life. I love to take it and fell good and I hate to take it and feel weak for needing it. Straight up depression just blows. Too indescribable to an outsider about how it actually feels.

Related Reading: smoking | dry mouth | insomnia

Comment from: hope, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 10

It is not a happy pill. It does curb depression and make life more manageable. I tried to get off of it twice, thinking I did not have depression anymore, but I do, and always will. I am a generally happy person, and work on a lot of projects. I can see the glass half full or half empty. WellbutrinXL oral helps me see the glass half full. I have tried several other anti-depressants, including one that is supposed to help for chronic pain. That one had too many sexual side effects. The other one had a weight gain factor. One of them made me MORE depressed. One made me tired. WellbutrinXL oral allowed me to have energy, lose a small amount of weight, I had no sexual side effects, and was able to wake up in the morning. It gave me more energy than the rest of them. I am very happy with it, and would recommend it to a friend. I even heard it helps people quit smoking.

Related Reading: depression | chronic pain | smoking

Comment from: TA, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 06

I have been taking this drug since July 2006. I was experiencing a major depression episode and I had tried other drugs that made me fill hung over. I noticed a difference within 2 weeks and complete turn around in my emotional state within 6 weeks to 2 mos. I lost weight, my sex drive returned in full force and my level of anxiety about going to sleep decreased. I give this drug A+.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: joyful12u, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 21

After taking Zoloft for 6 years, it stopped working for me. The doctor tried me on two other drugs I don't remember the names of. They both made me very anxious and agitated. He decided to try me on the Wellbutrin. I started out taking 150 mgs. twice a day. I never had one side effect from it and could tell a difference in my mood right away. I also got back my sex drive that the Zoloft had totally taken away.

Related Reading: zoloft | wellbutrin

Comment from: LarryV, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 03

I've been using Wellbutrin XL 300mg for about 5 years. Prior to it, I was using SSRI type antidepressants. I would recommend anyone with mild depression, which what I have, to try this first. All the SSRI types caused me to gain weight, feel drowsy during the day, low energy and killed my libido. Or it did mine. Ladies, if your husband has lost interest in sex while on SSRI's, it is not you. It is the drug. And I would still have bouts with depression. The Wellbutrin XL has none of the above side effects. It's almost the reverse and worked just as good for me as all the newest SSRI meds. Getting off SSRI's can be tough. They have some known withdrawal symptoms. A quick search of those can be found online. I felt like electrical charges were going through my brain and saw flashes of lights. Once that was over and I got on the Wellbutrin, I felt so energized. My libido came back and was higher than before the SSRI's!! I lost 30 pounds too. I tell everyone to try Wellbutrin first. I don't know why doctors don't recommend this medication. My psychiatrist never mentioned Wellbutrin to me. Started me right off with the SSRI's. I did my own research to find them, as I knew I had to get off the others.

Related Reading: wellbutrin xl | antidepressants

Comment from: abirata, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 15

Wellbutrin had side effects at the beginning - the worst of which were insomnia and constipation. The insomnia abated after about 3 weeks of treatment and I take a fiber supplement to deal with the constipation. It also abates with time but never completely goes away. Another side effect at firt was a general "hyper" feeling but that also wore off after a few weeks. Unlike the SSRIs, Wellbutrin does not make me feel "drugged” - I feel emotions, good and bad - but the difference I notice while taking the drug is that I tend not to brood or obsess over negative events or ideas, it is easier to let them pass. I think it has also made me more able to open up to talking about my situation because I don’t think I have to reign in my “bad” emotions so tightly as I don’t fear them getting out of control. It is easier to work through them, and talk about them. Wellbutrin by itself is a great help, but by far the most effective treatment for me has been talk therapy. Depression runs in the family. I did not start seeking treatment until age 27 when it became overwhelming and was affecting my work and relationships. The first course of treatment my physician prescribed were SSRIs (Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft), but I could not tolerate the side effects nausea and drowsiness, but the worst, that although my depression was dampened, so were all my emotions. These side effects never abated. I became even more distant from people I loved and could not function effectively at work because it was difficult to concentrate. I had great doubts about all of the anti-depressants after those experiences, and am skeptical of drug claims and the pharmaceutical industry in general but have to admit that Wellbutrin has been very effective. I know that SSRIs are very effective for many people - I just wanted to share that portion of my experience because I believed that because they did not work for me, nothing would. I am glad to be proven wrong.

Related Reading: insomnia | constipation | depression

Comment from: SantaBarbaralocal01, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 13

All I can say is I am SO GLAD I did my OWN research and read about the different types of anti-depressants as I was on Cymbalta and gaining weight like CRAZY and didn't feel any more "happy" or whatever. I asked my doctor about Wellbutrin XL as it is different than a lot of the "common" anit depressants because it effects your brain differently. I felt better on Wellburtin in less than 2 weeks. Yes I got a little "bouncy" and "overly excited" but that's why we're taking these drugs right...TO BE HAPPY AND NOT DEPRESSED!!!! I get out more, I enjoy walking my dog more it's not a "chore" as it used to be. I know there's no "magic pill" but for me it's been great and I've been on it ALL from Prozac to Paxil to Zoloft to Prestique to Cymbalta so I think I know what I'm talking about here!!!

Related Reading: cymbalta | wellbutrin xl | prozac

Comment from: medwisegirl, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

Wellbutrin has been great for me. All I wanted to do before taking this was sleep, and when I was up I was grouchy and irritated. I actually like getting up in the morning and enjoy my day. Everyone around me is much happier as well. I tried Cymbalta first and it didn't fit my specific needs, and in fact worsened my depression. There are different medicines for different types of depression. Wellbutrin works on the neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine is for motivation and acivating the reward center in the brain. I wouldn't discourage or encourage the use of this drug. It's your doctors job, depending on your depression symptoms, to match you with the best medicine for you. You need not listen to people that say not to try it, everyone is different. This medicine may or may not work for you. Treating depression is not an exact science, due to our lack of knowledge about the brain. Finding the right depression medicine will take trial and error, which can be very frustrating. Stick with it and you will find a medicine that works for you.

Related Reading: wellbutrin | depression | dopamine

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 20

Worked well for the depression, but caused anxiety, headaches, and insomnia. I lost quite a bit of weight on this drug and had no sexual side effects.

Related Reading: anxiety | insomnia

Comment from: Dee, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 12

My depression was triggered by my brothers suicide & moms cancer diagnosis(both within 2007.) I have been trying to find somthing to just get me through this time so I can be sane for my family- not to pretend it is not there. I am on my second month on Welbutrin. It took at least a month to kick in. I was irritated easily for the first few weeks, but that went away a few weeks ago. I have lost just a few pounds and I do not feel like a flat line like I did on Lexapro. My sex drive is also still intact, thank God! The only downfall is that every night I get nausea, wich is why for me, it is not easy to use. My doc says to wait it out a few more weeks and make sure to take it every MORNING (I work nights so I took it later) I tried to have two drinks one night, and almost vomitted. I also got airsick for the first time. But I laugh again, and I am ready to be there for my mom now, who will be undergoing a stem-cell transplant soon. The stress is not gone- but I can at least handle it better now.My husband and mom both need me too much for me to wallow in misery all the time. If only I could get rid of the damn nausea! Oh yea, my husband said he noticed my memory has been better. I used to think depression was somthing you could talk yourself out of. Somtimes you have nothing left to give, and that is when it is time to see a doc or counseling to search what is right for you. I hope this helped someone because alot of the others helped me. Good luck!

Related Reading: suicide | cancer | lexapro

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 07

I was in one of the worst depressive episodes of my life when I started taking Wellbutrin and it has vastly improved my base-line. I still feel the full range of human emotions but I can now keep them in check, and they don't control or destroy my life.

Comment from: oneswtgal, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 15

I recently went through a divorce, I was having issues with anxity and deppresion. I started this drug and it has done wonders! it has helped me to stop smokine, i have lost 30 lbs because I dont want to eat all the time. and it has givin me energy so I have been working out again. I dont dwell on issues any longer like I used to and it has helped me to prioitize what is important. I have more of a level head rather than feeling like every problem was a huge issue. most importanty I laugh again. it has increased my sex drive and I realize the important things in life. I was feeling like being a mother was more of a chore, now I enjoy spending time with my family again. I would recomend this drug to someone that is depressed and or wants to quit smoking. I have had very little side effects. I do get headaches more freakenly but it is much better than what I was feeling prior to being on the drug.

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: tgkatz, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 10

i took lexapro and zoloft before, and they both caused crazy weight gain, increased appetite, and caused my personality to become very flat. Wellbutrin does the trick and helps majorly with my depression, without the flat-personality shift and weight gain. However, if I take the pill before I ear breakfast, I feel very nauseous throughout the day

Related Reading: lexapro | zoloft | wellbutrin

Comment from: mlvig, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 09

I started taking it 2 years ago in the fall to be proactive about my seasonal depression. The first day I felt the way I imagine people do when the abuse ADHD meds, very productive and energetic. After a couple of days my body normalized and I feel it has changed my life. Since taking it I am able to complete multiple tasks in a day, where before I would be exhausted after one. My social life perked up considerably, and graduate school is not the constant source of stress that undergrad was- and I am working full time! I also have ADHD, and I feel like it helps me a little. I am much more inattentive type, and I am able to maintain attention a little more than before, but it is still a struggle. This med was only prescribed for the depression.

Related Reading: depression | stress

Comment from: Michelle123563, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

This is the first anti-depressant I have ever taken. It has worked very well. Not only do I feel much happier, I have more energy too. Plus I lost 20lbs. I don't think the Wellbutrin directly caused the weight loss, but I think it gave me more energy and more of a desire to do things, which caused the weight loss

Comment from: Alrolamo, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 24

This Medication has Stabilized me more than all other anti depressants I tried. I have to take it in the beginning of the day(300mg). I was checking these reviews to see what kind of long term side effects this medication would have. Well, I have been taking it for close to Ten Years, and I just Do Not have any side effects from this medication to reference.

Comment from: LizinVegas, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 31

This drug is doing a great job for me. I have been on it for 12 years. I originally took 150mg once a day; moved up to twice a day but switched to 300mg slow release so I wouldn't forget to take one of the doses. I tried so many different drugs over the past 20 years that I've lost count and the side affects were often horrific. Once my psychologist recommended Wellbutrin and my psychiatrist concurred I have never switched and it is the only anti-depressant I take. I also dropped 20 lbs of the 30 the other drugs had caused me to gain. It has helped with ADD, SAD and the all encompassing symptoms of depression. There have been a few times during the years when I was unable to take it for several days in a row and you could tell but just one dose and I was back up feeling great. I'm sorry it doesn't work for everyone; it has so few uncomfortable side affects when compared to some of the newer drugs. But for those who have found relief I can tell you that after all these years I still have found relief. (My husband calls them my happy pills!)

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 23

No antidepressant totally alleviates all symptoms of depression. However, Wellbutrin has the least side effects, and I don't feel like I'm taking an antidepressant. I simply feel the absence of the extremely depressed feelings. Yes... the things that bothered me before are still present in my mind, but I am able to live with them and put them into a more healthy perspective. Plus, I can enjoy life regardless of its ups and downs. Now, to me ... THAT'S living!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 20

This drug has helped me a lot. I have found though that over time it is not as effective as when I first started taking it. A plus to it is when I first started taking it I was able to lose a lot of weight because of lack of cravings.

Comment from: utman, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 28

I was on Cipralex for over 2 years, and found it wasn't helping much, and the side effects were almost worse than depression. Wellbutrin has been amazing in clearing my head and allowing me to function without fear of a serious bout of depression and/or anxiety disorder.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Diane 49, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 02

I took Wellbutrin originally to quit smoking (after 35 yrs.) It worked and I haven't smoked in almost 3 yrs. I noticed after a month or so on the drug that I was smiling and laughing more. Who knew I was depressed? Not me! Now I'm an ex-smoker and not depressed anymore. Life is good.

Related Reading: wellbutrin | smoking

Comment from: Cadiac/Open Heart RN, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 15

I took it for anxiety and to quit smoking. After smoking for 18 years...I quit. Yes, it did cause some nausea at first...however you must eat when taking this medication. Take with meals. Also, don't give up. It also has a side effect which decreases hunger. I lost weight after quitting smoking...about 10 lbs. I was scared after quitting smoking I would gain. I didn't I lost. This medication is a wonder drug. It is rough in the begining as your body adjust. It's not fun but give it time the side effects will go away and it is effective overall. I really support the use of this drug. I am an RN and also think if this drug does not help with smoking cessation try Chantix. I am an Open Heart Nurse and we have had great success with our patients on Chantix.

Related Reading: anxiety | chantix