Xanax XR

Comment from: lissa_0270, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 27

I have been on xanax for 12 yrs. I was put on the XR 3mg, about 1yr ago. I feel relaxed and not so stressed, no more ups & downs!! I would definatly recommend this to anyone that is on the Reg xanax to try (The XR does not have the same effect of calming down in 15mins,Your calm ALL day.) But I still have trouble sleeping!? Just a night owl I guess. I hope this was helpfull.

Related Reading: xanax

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 04

I was miserable before I took this medicine. I was always a nervous wreck. I tried so many other meds before this to help with my anxiety, but none of them helped. I was worried about the addictive aspect, so I asked for the time release version. I don't have panic attacks, I don't worry all the time, I don't pick at my thumbs and lips anymore, I don't avoid driving certain roads to avoid certain turns...anyone who has a panic disorder knows what I'm talking about. My life is normal again.

Related Reading: anxiety | panic attacks

Comment from: Leisa, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 20

I have a terrible time with anexiety and panic attacks. This drug has changed my life. I can attend social gatherings. My husband couldn't believe the difference in me once I started using this medication.

Comment from: girl87, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with a panic/anxiety disorder approximately 8 yrs ago. I have tried every type of drug possible to calm me down & nothing worked. Finally, after seeing a psychiatrist he prescribed the regular xanax 1.0mg (3 per day). As, a worry wart that I am, I refused to take 3 a day for the fear of dependancy. I would only take 1 per day & at the most 1 1/2 per day, which did help with the calming. Then about 3 months ago he decided to try the xanax xr 3mg per day. After a week of that, I found I was so sleepy! I went from climbing the walls to sleeping all the time. The dose was way to much for me. So, after the 1st month he lowered it to 2mg per day & so far it has been much better. As we all know these kind of meds can become addictive & that was just another thing I had to worry about, but I finally tried to use the power of my mind to NOT let myself get addicted to them, and I also look at it this way. If I can live close to a somewhat normal life again instead of being a figity hermit, then I am all for it. So far I can say that I am not 100% my normal self, but this is the closest I have been to it in the last 8yrs! I would definetly try it, if you got anxiety & don't worry about the addictiveness. If you got a good dr. that will watch you closely & that you are not abusing them, I think you will be fine! Life is to short to not enjoy it like you once did, so I say give it a shot & try it. If someone would've told me they had panic/anxiety attks 10+ yrs ago, I would've thought they were crazy! Trust me, they are scarey, they are very real, & I don't wish them on anyone. But, I am VERY thankful that I have finally found something to take the edge off!!

Related Reading: xanax xr

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with severe anxiety a couple months ago. I tried buspar and zoloft and both gave me horrible side effects. I loved Xanax but hated how sleepy it made me. My doctor prescribed Xanax XR and it has worked great. I can concentrate throughout the day, I don't constantly worry anymore, I feel much more like the way I did before my panic attacks.

Related Reading: buspar | zoloft | xanax

Comment from: happy, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 31

this drug is great.. i used to be a nervous wreck at work or pretty much anywhere i went... this is the first drug i took for anxiety and i have no bad side effects.. im soo happy to finally feel like a normal person again

Comment from: buddyboy, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 20

With the XR I don't have the coming down periods that I had while using the regular xanax. I did use the .05 and the 1mg reg tablets and the XR works so much better.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been suffering from an anxiety and panic disorder for several years. I have tried every medicine you can imagine, but most were more centered around depression. Since I have begun taking this medicine, along with Buspar, I am feeling so much better! I have been a little drowsy between the two, but I've been told that will go away as my body adjusts. I would highly recommend this to anyone having these same issues, and if the price is an issue, go for generic! It is practically the same thing, and while it will still put a dent in your wallet, it definitely won't be as big of a cost to you. Hope this helps someone.

Related Reading: depression | buspar

Comment from: bessvann, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 13

I have been suffering, and I mean suffering, from panic attacks for the past several months. I have never had this condition before. I was placed on Xanax XR about a week ago, but I am afraid to take it at work as I have to be on my feet and interacting with the public (ugh) 8-10 hours per day. Any suggestions or warnings?

Related Reading: panic attacks | xanax xr

Comment from: ebodnam, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 25

This drug has been a miracle for me. I have one of those minds that never "shuts off" or allows me to fully relax to sleep restfully. I take one 3XR per day after dinner, so that it has sufficient time to enter my bloodstream before bed. I can now fall asleep and stay asleep every night. My quality of like is so much better! Previously, my doctor tried other anti-anxiety medications, anti-depressants and even sleeping pills. Nothing has ever even been able to tough the rsult I have had from using Xanax, And I have had no ill side effects, either.

Related Reading: anxiety | xanax

Comment from: Tony Michael, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 26

The only med that stops my panic attacks cold. The XR lasts about 16 hours not 24 hours for me, so I do twice or thrice dosing during the day at 0.5mg to 1.0mg. Xanax is a life saver for killing panic. Have used for over 5 years. Generic is now available. But all meds have their side effects, mainly sleepiness, and seems impossible to get off of if you have full blown panic disorder like me.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 08

I have struggled with anxiety disorder for years. I took regular Xanax and would have ups and downs. Xanax XR has helped me tremendously. I am calm all day and am able to function and be more social.

Comment from: Wulfbringer, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 19

I have been using the 2mg XR for anxiety/panic attacks for almost 4 years now. I am greatful for this drug; I feel comfortable in large crowds unlike before. I feel like I am relaxed throughout the day, and don't worry as much as before I started taking this drug. There have been a few times when my script has lapsed before my regular doctor's visit, and just for the few days of not taking it I haven't really experienced any serious side effects. I used to grind my teeth at night and constantly waking up through the night with my fists clinched up, or just not being able to sleep at all. Overall, I feel great, not always feeling anxious or panicing about the daily grind at work. I work in a restuarant, and was always getting stressed very easily. This drug has turned my life around for me. I also suffer from chronic migraines triggered by stress, this has also helped keep my stress level down to help prevent the frequency of those migraines. As with any drug, this is not for everyone. It works for me.

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: deegirl, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 29

I use xanax .05 only when necessary and I find that it really works...about the only thing that does...I've taken celexa and then lexapro and they weren't that effective for panic...unless you take a moderate to high dose and who can afford to be sleeping all the time and deal with the side effects....I chose to get off the antidepressants and try diet, vitamin therapy and exercise for my disorder..hopefully this will work..

Related Reading: xanax | celexa | lexapro

Comment from: jszafr, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been prescribed the regular xanex 8mg a day and also a few 2mg xanex xr a day at a different time and the xr version seemed to help me out a lot more than regular xanex just cause it stayed in my system longer and I dont have to take as many pills. I suffer from a panic/anxiety disorder and epilepsy and the xr def. works better than the fast acting xanex.

Comment from: L.Sands, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 22

Xanax XR saved my life. I can now function during the day without anxiety attacks. I enjoy life.

Comment from: rusty1, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 31

Don't start on xanax xr it is too hard to get off of. I have been on it for 12 years, yes it helped my panic attacks but I am in a fog everyday and now I am going to detox to get off of it. It's only a temp fix. Find another nonaddictive drug. Psychiatrist love it, Psycologist hate it. Go figure?

Related Reading: xanax xr | panic attacks

Comment from: hopefullyhelpful, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 16

I suffer from Panic Attacks. Been taking Xanax 3xr for 2 years. And boy it helps. I read on another post that a woman pays 600.00 for a script. I pay 56.00 for 30 days supply. I went online and checked out discount drug cards. I found one that is called The PCD card. IF i did not pay 56.00 it would cost me 157.00. This is Genetic but works the same. My suggest is to surf the net for presciption discount cards. I pay nothing for the use of the card and got it free.

Related Reading: panic attacks | xanax

Comment from: Xanax, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 30

I HIGHLY discourage any person from using this drug. Regardless of how anxious you may feel or if you have panic attacks, DON'T take it. I was on it for 6 months when prescribed by my family medicine doctor for occassional anxiety; I later went to the head phycologist at a nationally renound hospital in Washington. He is a lead prof in the School of Medicine, Phycology department. My new doctor spends 1 full day of class lecture on Xanax alone, and why NOT to prescribe it! This is serious...I attempted to stop taking the medication; only to find you have a serious risk of having a seizure and cannot stop cold turkey. The withdrawls are HORRIBLE, and you must wean yourself off Xanax! Because I was only on it for 6 months I went from 4pm/day to 2mg/day for 1 week, 1mg/day for 1 week, then .5mg/day for the last week and still had serious withdrawls. My doctor said patients who are on Xanax for longer periods of time, 2 years+, it can take them up to a year to get off it! And you can't rebound or relapse, you'll do nothing but hurt yourself even more! Even if you do take it to get rid of anxiety, it will get worse because your body becomes quickly dependant and immune to it, requiring higher dosages.I do not blog or post online, but I had to spread the word. I am an honors students, very stable, no drug addictions or problems, just a normal guy; so those who are prone to relapse or abuse Xanax, BE AWARE. Bottom line; in no circumstance take Xanax, if you're on it currently the best of luck getting off! Do as you wish, but thought I'd let you in on a little secret.

Related Reading: anxiety | seizure

Comment from: Girl25, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 16

I have daily anxiety and was on ativan for a while and while I loved the ativan I was looking for something longer acting - my psychiatrist tried me on Xanax XR .05mg. For me, this drug is a God send. In the beginning when I first starting taking it I did notice some slight dizzyness and 'weird' feelings but I stuck with it and once it regulated in my system (about 3-4 weeks) I feel totally normal and calm on it with zero side effects. I have since upped my dose to the 1mg Xanax XR twice daily if I need it, but some days I only take one pill to get me through the day and deal with the anxiety at night since I'm home and then take a pill in the morning like normal. My advice would be to start it on the lowest dose and work your way up. Also be aware that Xanax XR does sometimes interact with other meds so check to see if it interferes with anything else you're taking or will take in the future.

Related Reading: ativan | xanax xr

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 22

I believe this medicine is a "God-send" for me. I can now do things that are a common activity for most people. I've always dealt with some type of anxiety in new or social situations. Now taking 1MG of Xanax XR my nervousness and anxiety are gone. If I have a day that I know will be long I have a smaller prescription of the 2mg pill and this last all day. Can't say enough about how this medicine has changed my life. I look at it like take blood pressure medicine and it's something my body needs. I hope it will always be available. I have not felt the need to keep upping my dosage and believe with self control it is not additive. It get's me over the hump.

Comment from: jeajea, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 22

I have been taking regular Xanax 0.05 mgs 2x a day for 3 years and just started to have panic and anxiety again. Dr. prescribed me Xanax XR and this is my first day on it. I am so sleepy, I can hardly keep my eyes open. Can anyone tell me if this will wear off over time? I would rather be sleepy than panicy but I need to know if this will wear off in time? Any help out there?

Comment from: kjsmarley07, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been on Xanax XR 2mg for about 3 years now. I worked my way up to this dosage during the 2 years prior. I had tried almost every medicine available, all with terrible side effects. (Effexor made me incredibly sick and nauseated, Zoloft made me suffer from severe insomnia, etc). This has been the only medication that has worked for me. Like a few other pts on here, I was suffering from terrifying panic attacks that would come out of nowhere and was having one everytime I'd drive. I became a hermit. I am concerned about weening off of it when I decide to have children, but I believe it's worth it. No more panic attacks! I also do not drink, so I have no problems with it making me feel dizzy or "out of it". If you take this Rx as directed, you will not abuse it. It's a great medication, so I would not focus too much on the reputation. Take it as directed and it works wonders, giving a more free, fulfilling life.

Related Reading: xanax xr | effexor | zoloft

Comment from: sassylady, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 10

this medicine has calmed me down tremendously i dont have panic attacks no where as often as i was having them this time released xanax xr is the only one that i have been able to take and not pass out from to much of a dosage at one time i feel so much calmer now that i am taking this medicine i thank my doctor for letting me try it and i thank GOD that they have finally found something to help people like me with my problems of panic disorder and nervousness caused by all kinds of things that a person has to deal with on a daily basis especially when you feellike you can't deal with the problems and just start looking for dangerous ways to keep from dealing with those problems in my opinion all other forms of xanax should be out lawed they are way to strong and people want to abuse them way to much and for the people with disorders like mine to me this is what i consider a miracle treatment for myself.

Related Reading: panic attacks | xanax xr | xanax

Comment from: Milo, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 23

I have generalized anxiety disorder and have been on benzodiazepine therapy for 25 years now. What I like about Xanax XR compared to some other drugs in this class is that it stays in the system, continuously working all day, so I don't have to worry about taking my next dose on time, for example if I'm stuck on a delayed flight. The downside is that since I have been on these medications for so long, my psychiatrist (a specialist in psycho-pharmacology) has told me I will need to take this for life. That's fine with me; I look at it just like medication for diabetes or high blood pressure. Anyway, that would be the case with any benzodiazepine. I'm functioning well and sleeping well, taking 4-5 mg. per day for several years now.

Related Reading: anxiety | diabetes | high blood pressure