Xeloda

Comment from: rita 65-74 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: October 03

I have been on the drug for 5-6 months. The side effects just started about a month ago. I'm trying to deal with it by moisturizing twice a day. I'm hoping that it continues to get my markers down. I'm going for a scan in a month. That will tell the story. I'm afraid of what happens next.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Patient Published: October 29

Did not work for me I am at stage 4 metastatic breast cancer.

Related Reading: breast cancer

Comment from: Dvr 55-64 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: December 18

2012, stage 3-c colon cancer, lymph nodes involved, 18 months of xeloda, suffered the side effects of hands

Related Reading: colon cancer | xeloda

Comment from: Trudy 65-74 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: December 14

Tumors decreased in size rather quickly, Experienced tiredness and diarrhea at beginning.im on it for 6 months and side effects easier to handle. I take 1500 2xa day, one week ,one week off, Minor side effects now. IĆ¢??m not sure how long it works for. Good drug!

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: wendey 55-64 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: September 05

I had triple neg breast cancer that had not spread to lymphs. Oncologist put me on regime to provide prevent defense of any return of my cancer. I tolerate it very well, hand and foot syndrome is annoying but small price to pay. Drink a ton of water with lemon and I mean a few gallons per day. Made a total difference in my uncomfortable fingers and feet.

Related Reading: breast cancer | cancer

Comment from: Vickyjeter 65-74 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: June 21

I have been taking xeloda 5 years 1 week on 1 week off hand and foot a real problem but mets to bone gone much fatigue but overall a 7 year survivor

Related Reading: xeloda | fatigue

Comment from: noor faisal 25-34 Female 1 to 6 months Caregiver Published: April 11

my mother suffring from ovarion cancer. He geting the chemo medication in iv and oral form. Taking xeloda 1500 mg tablets in morning and xeloda 1500 mg in evening. Two sation of chemo have no side effect but 3rd and 4th cycle had sideffect include vomiting Stomach pain platlets down 8/150. But doctor treated carefully my mother. Xeloda is very harmful for patient.

Related Reading: cancer | xeloda

Comment from: Hpfl63 55-64 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: January 05

Very effective at half standard dose. Dropped to half dose on second day due to fever, low blood pressure, weakness and nausea. Now just slight fatigue and minimal hand and foot peelng. Very pleased with drop from almost 800 down to 20 in CA 15-3 over 15 months so far.

Related Reading: low blood pressure | fatigue

Comment from: 26pykd 65-74 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: November 09

I took the xleoda for 5 years always felt great no problems. First I thank God for being there and his healing power. Prayers to all God is No RESPECTER PERSONS.I was diagnoised with stage 4 in 2011.

Comment from: 65-74 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: February 11

liver met reappeared after 2 years on anti-oestrogen therapy. Xeloda supposed to be a "gentle" chemo Am now on cycle 6 2 3 500mg and have very little side effects while met is decreasing. Some thickening of palms now and some nasty GORD and dizziness at start of treatment with. Dizziness still occasionally persists but GORD seems to be over. So far so good and may it continue so. Sites like this are so helpful - thanks

Related Reading: liver | xeloda | dizziness

Comment from: 75 or over Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: November 21

After three months of use, i am almost back to feeling 100% normal. Previously I was very fatigued from the Stage 4 breast cancer that I have.

Related Reading: breast cancer

Comment from: Jesselina 45-54 Female less than 1 month Caregiver Published: October 10

My mom was hospitalized three days after taking a low dose of this poison. Even before she started, she was not really eating and drinking (receiving hydration IVs three days a week). Her liver was so swollen that she could barely swallow her tiny pain pills every four hours. We had to be creative -using honey and Jell-O to keep pills from getting stuck in her throat. I’m guessing that this drug is intended for younger or healthier people, and that in my mom’s case, it probably robbed her of some precious time with her family. She is so much weaker now than before.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: Female Caregiver Published: August 03

After starting to take this drug my mom passed away shortly after this drug I think played a big part in her death please do not take this drug

Comment from: MaggieMae 65-74 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: May 19

Found 2mm spot on brain after stage 4 breast cancer. Was taking Herceptin but would not penetrate brain barrier. Started with higher doses of Tykerb & Xeloda but put me in hospital 7 days with severe diarrhea. Lowered doses - Tykerb 2 500mg once day-21 days on 7 days off. Xeloda 250mg twice day-14 days on 7 days off. Hands and feet red but can tolerate. Last 2 MRIs were good.

Related Reading: breast cancer | herceptin | tykerb

Comment from: Caroline 65-74 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: March 02

I have been on XELODA for 3 mon. after being on faslodex injections and xgeva for bone strength. I was treated in 2000 for stage 2 HER positive. It came back in my spine and now in my bone marrow. The doc is pleased with the XELODA, but I am concerned because my red blood cell count stays low because of cancer cells in my marrow and because XELODA also destroys red blood cells. Overall, I still have good quality of life . The hand/foot syndrome is troublesome, but I am managing with lots of coconut oil all day. I go to warm water therapy and PT to battle fatigue, bone pain, and muscle weakness. Gabapentin for neuropathy, Advil and oxycode for pain, and senecot for constipation are my major drugs/helpers. I am 65 years old and I pray that I am blessed with many years of productive living where I can love and care for for my family and friends and give back to the students I tutor as long as I so shall live. I am constantly reading about new treatments. The comments and reviews on this site have been very comforting to me. Please everyone, keep sharing your experience with this drug. Also, I am one patient who experienced very little nausea or diarrhea. All of the pain mess I use cause constipation, maybe that is why! Oh, I have had many blood transfusions because of the cancer cells in my bone marrow and because of the effects of the XELODA . I know the docs can't keep doing that so I worry about what is next for me. To all patients, keep studying and praying and sharing.

Related Reading: xeloda | faslodex | xgeva

Comment from: Willie 65-74 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: January 05

About 4 years ago at age 67 I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Half my rectum and a few inches of my lower colon next to my rectum were surgically removed, as well as a benign tumor in my right ascending colon and my appendix. Fortunately I do not have to wear a pouch. Biopsy of 23 lymph nodes in the area removed during the surgery revealed three positives, which classified me as a Stage III. After a month of recovery from the surgery I received 25 radiation treatments over a 5 week period, with the primary side-effect of extreme fatigue. After a month of recuperation from the radiation I began 4 months of oral Xeloda treatments, two weeks on and one week off. Dosage was 3000 mg/day, 1500 mg at breakfast and 1500 mg in the evening. the main side-effect was that my skin seemed to be aged about 10 years and was itchy. The soles of my feet still feel like they have thick calluses but they do not. A bizarre side-effect was that my fingerprints disappeared, and this appears to be permanent. I experienced no significant nausea, hair loss or fatigue while taking the Xeloda. Shortly after completing the Xeloda regimen I had a colonoscopy and there were no signs of cancer. The doctor recommended a follow-up colonoscopy in about three years, which I had done a few weeks ago, and one benign polyp was removed but there were no signs whatsoever of cancer. It appears that I am completely cured. The doctor recommends another follow-up colonoscopy in about 5 years. Based on my experience I would heartily recommend the Xeloda as opposed to intravenous chemotherapy. The retail price for Xeloda is about $60 per 500 mg capsule, or $360/ day for 3000 mg, but it is discounted by over 80% for Medicare recipients.

Related Reading: cancer | fatigue | xeloda

QUESTION

What are risk factors for developing colon cancer? See Answer
Comment from: 45-54 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: December 27

After two cycles, the Hand/Foot Syndrome began, mostly to feet. I have been on this drug a little more than a year. I have lost two toenails and it does cause some nail fungal stuff over a longer period of time. I haven't experienced nausea/vomiting but do feel very tired at the end of the cycle. Skin gets very dry. Cool water/aloe on feet/palms helps. Get comfy shoes and moisturizer often. Also, take a Calcium/magnesium and drink lots of fluids as it can cause an electrolyte imbalance.

Comment from: mlieberman3 55-64 Male less than 1 month Patient Published: November 25

Caused second degree burns in my small intestines putting back in the hospital for ten days with severe pain

Related Reading: burns

Comment from: Stella 45-54 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: April 01

I had breast cancer in 2000 which had spread to my spine in one of my vertebrae. I was prescribed Xeloda by my oncologist. Despite the severe side effects of hands and feet going red, blisters in my mouth and skin disorders, the oncologist insisted on this drug. I decided to terminate the use within 11 weeks. I am now experiencing numbness in both my hands, swelling and stiffness in all the joints of my hands. I believe patients should be warned about these side effects so that they understand the risks involved in taking such severe treatments. These side effects may take six months or even a year to appear.

Related Reading: breast cancer | xeloda