Xifaxan

Comment from: ame 55-64 Transgender less than 1 month Caregiver Published: August 28

I have IBSD and have great difficulty going out without taking Imodium first. I am 1/2 way into taking Xifaxan for 10 days. I believe I have less bloating and cramping but am still having problems eating certain foods. I have a week to go and am hoping it will be the miracle drug I’ve been reading about!

Related Reading: imodium | xifaxan

Comment from: Mompin 75 or over Transgender less than 1 month Caregiver Published: May 16

My husband just started on this medication. We got it through a Canadian pharmacy for a lot less than with "insurance" or any discount cards.

Comment from: Brian 65-74 Transgender 5 to less than 10 years Caregiver Published: May 15

I have been on Xifanan for 6 years and now unemployed and on COBRA. Has anyone found a way to get this medicine cheaper than $2,000.00? My insurance has a high deductible and Patient Assistance Program doesn't help. The deductible doesn't mean anything with a Tier 5 drug.

Comment from: Big BEN 55-64 Male 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: June 15

I suffered from bloating for more than 20 years off and on and also heartburn, constipation, bad breath, nasty farts, you name it. XIFAXAN with fiber and probiotic cured, as a result, my appetite increased. All symptoms disappeared

Related Reading: heartburn | constipation | bad breath

Comment from: Zantana 65-74 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: December 22

I have sibo/constipation. My GI thought I should try Linzess, after 5 days of it, I've had 1 1/2 months of constant round the clock diarrhea. Got a prescription of Xifaxan, no change. i eaten i box of Imodium and one of Pepto Bismol right along with this drug with no results. $660 down the toilet, literally.

Related Reading: constipation | linzess | diarrhea

Comment from: GardenGnome 65-74 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: November 24

After slowly getting worse for years, my IBS cleared after a few days of the 14 day treatment. My doctor recommended a Canadian pharmacy to get around price gouging in the U.S.

Related Reading: treatment

Comment from: DepakoteDangers 55-64 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: November 09

This drug saved my life as I developed high ammonia levels from Depakote ER which can induce hepatic encephalopathy. Insurance pays 100% for this $2,000.00 for 90 pills.

Related Reading: depakote er | encephalopathy

Comment from: Depakote never again 55-64 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: November 09

Taking this medication for IBs and hepatic encephalopathy due to taking Depakote for bi-polar depression been off the depakote this medication has saved my life. insurance pays 100 percent of this $2,000 for a 30 day supply

Related Reading: encephalopathy | depakote | depression

Comment from: TxBetty 65-74 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: August 12

I've had worsening IBS-D for several years. My doctor prescribed Xifaxin this spring and it seemed to help for a bit but my symptoms returned. I was told it may take several rounds to be effective. My second round was prescribed after I went on Medicare and my "coverage" would cost me almost $800. Nope. Instead, my doctors office collected samples from their drug rep - I needed 42 pills at 3 per day for 14 days. I finished the pills several weeks ago and have remained symptom-free ever since! I am absolutely thrilled by how effective this medication has been for me and hope it lasts quite a while.

Related Reading: ibs-d

Comment from: edean29673 55-64 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: May 06

A real miracle. 40 years of diarrhea every day and a little over halfway through the first treatment it was gone. First time in 40 years I feel normal, able to do things spontaneously. I have taken four rounds over about a 2.5 year period. For me it seems to last between 6-9 months before another treatment is needed. The cost of the drug is extreme.

Related Reading: diarrhea | treatment

Comment from: Ann 55-64 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: April 19

I was prescribed xifaxin for sibo. My doctor advised me to order the generic from Canada as my insurance would not cover it. It is much cheaper. So far, this has worked well but I have had side effects of fatigue.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: wolsen 55-64 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: February 08

Salix Pharmaceuticals has successfully resisted the sale of a generic form of rifaxamin by adding a condition for which it can be treated. It's approximate monthly cost is $2500 which leaves me with a copayment of almost $500.00, which for now is covered through a copay waiver through Salix, but I will become ineligible for that once I am on Medicare in 3 months. Once I am unable to pay for this medication, I will experience diminished brain function within a week.

Comment from: wbmjo 45-54 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: January 18

Miracle drug for SIBO relief. Feel like a different person.

Related Reading: sibo

Comment from: 65-74 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: December 27

Got my colitis much worse. More bleeding, diarrhea, headache, tiredness. I feel 100% worst after taking it for a week. Stop the medication, doctors order.

Related Reading: colitis | diarrhea | headache

Comment from: Gina 45-54 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: December 08

Amazing! Something that works, simply amazing! My overall health issues include: migraines with aura, probable ME/CFS (there's no test for it, yet!!), Celiac disease, and lifelong IBS that varies from C to D. I've been on the low FODMAP diet, and learned that the use of the word 'diverticulitis' as it's used today also fits my condition. I have no polyps, but my intestinal motility is odd to say the least, probably functional issue with motility, but they failed to show anything with multiple tests. Other drugs that help: Dicyclomine helps if I take it at night. It calms the spasticity and then when it wears off in the morning, I can normally have a BM without a problem. However, I was obviously having an overgrowth issue because whenever I have such a thing, I start to ache, I get a migraine upon waking up, and I get general brain fog. Also my circadian cycle reversed, so it was hard for dicyclomine to actually help me anymore. So, within two days of taking this drug (xifaxan), I could sleep without waking up in agony, my circadian cycle is normalizing already, and the only negative side effect so far is a bit of extra tiredness. But of course that's normal because I wasn't able to sleep before. Not really resting. So now I can rest and am confident it will help more. I'm so grateful that something works!

Related Reading: celiac disease | diverticulitis | xifaxan

Comment from: RDLDN2018 25-34 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: November 25

TLDR: Bloated stomach, diagonsed with SIBO, took Xifaxan TID for 2 weeks along with a probiotic, feel much better! About 2 years ago I went to Mexico for vacation and after that my GI and bowel movements (BM) were not the same. I had severe bloating after eating meals, I looked about 6 months pregnant. Also had consistent loose bowels, but would fluctuate from constipation for 2-3 days then loose watery stools for 6 days, with BM 4x per day. My lower intestinal felt painful and tender, and I had severe urgency. I myself am a health care professional so I put myself on self monitored diet such as gluten free, LowFODMAP, alcohol free. I tried them all to see if any relief... and nothing. I finally went and saw a GI doctor after 2 years of suffering, because it was not getting better. I was tested for Celiac disease, pathology for any parasites with a stool sample, and rounds of bloodwork including vitamin levels. All of which greatefully came back normal. The next step was to test for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) with a hydrogen breath test. Finally had an answer and this test came back positive. I was prescribed Xifaxan 550mg to take 3 times per day for 2 weeks. I was very skeptical at first, but spoke with GI doc who answered all my questions and also informed me to take a probiotic daily along with the medication. She suggested many brands, but I went with Align. However, I was able to get Xifaxan fully covered by my insurance. I saw the original price and if it was not covered, I am not sure what I would have done. During the 2 week of the script my BMs were inconsistent and only had 1 day of discomforting diarrhea. Now it has been 1 month after and I have 2 solid BMs per day, and only get gas/bloating with gassy foods like beans. I am still taking the Align probiotic daily in the morning on an empty stomach. I am grateful for this relief and hoping it will keep up!

Related Reading: sibo | xifaxan | constipation

Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions See Slideshow
Comment from: 25-34 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: July 17

Day seven and my cramps and diarrhea have gotten way worse. I have had to cancel just about every plan. I threw up yesterday but made it to my tennis class an hour later. I am feeling miserable, cant sleep, and its 4:00 am. I am not going to finish this medication.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: cant take IBS any more 65-74 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: December 30

Drug only works if you have SIBO. I was given this drug and did not have SIBO. Made the Diarrhea worse, constant stomach pain and excessive bloating. Co-pay was $466 for a two weeks supply. Never again will I take this. Even told the doctor I did not have SIBO and he prescribed it anyway. Huge mistake.

Related Reading: sibo | diarrhea

Comment from: Drau 45-54 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: December 30

I've been on this drug over 2 years, without it I'd been in a coma or dead. I was stage 3 HE . It helps a lot and the cost is high but there's no other options for me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: September 22

This medication made my gut issues worse, including a host of side effects. My insurance would not cover it, but my physician gave me samples to try. Epic failure.