Xopenex

Comment from: jeanine, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 27

Well I have a four year old son thats on xopenex. This drug has cause my son to have awful side effects to where he bites, and attacks off guard, and he becomes very hyper, and unalert and orient at times. Please tell me how long does this last within the body? and what other form medication should I ask my doctor to give my son.

Related Reading: xopenex

Comment from: A concerned parent and consumer, on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 25

My 11-year-old has used albuterol before, but we recently moved and started with a new doctor. When we came to his office with an asthma attack, my son was given xopenex with the nebulizer rather than albuterol. We definitely saw some agitation in him with albuterol, but xopenex made him CRAZY. Although the doctor listened to his lungs and said they sounded "better" after the treatment, my son said that his chest hurt more and his cough felt worse. For about 24 hours after the treatment he experienced headaches, sensitivity to light, general agitation, couldn't sit still, muscle aches, jitters, and was just really frustrated. He could not function. He missed an extra day of school due to the side effects of this drug. Watching him go through this, it appeared as if his nervous system had been destroyed. Side effects like this are not acceptable. This drug should be taken off the market.

Related Reading: albuterol | asthma | cough

Comment from: Jemeneye, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 19

after albuterol taken off the market and replaced with Pro air -an ineffective placebo type inhaler , I ended up with several trips to the er and ultimately a trip to the hosp in the ambulance under the impression I was having a heart attack from the over use of pro air ..I was advised by a pharmacist to inquier about xopenex.. has the same delivery system as the old albuterol inhaler. Worked alot better, and I have been happy with it but not good for long term use, may lose some effectiveness .I have been using for approximately 2 months and it isn't working as well ..or I am getting worse ....may need to rethink my medical professionals at this point ..

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: Jan, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 14

My seven year old son has been using this, as needed for a few years now. It is much more effective for him than the inhalers, and he has almost no side effects, as opposed to the albuterol which makes him shaky and hyper. He gets immediate relief from asthma attacks with this medicine.

Comment from: JST, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 09

Asthma first became worse and then I became unable to move for about 12 hours. Terrible experience and couldn't call 911, couldn't do anything. Sure I came close to death.Perhaps this medication needs review, at least for me it was the most dangerous asthma medication I have ever encountered.

Related Reading: asthma

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 29

I hate this medicine. I was given it after years of other medications. At first I gave it a go, and noticed that my asthma attack just kept getting worse, so another treatment was taken, once again I seemed to be getting worse instead of bed, Third times the charm and gave it one last go. At this point I was turning blue and could not stand. I had to be rushed to the hospital and given a 5 hour treatment of albuderal and atrovent. I was later told that about 50% of the people on Xopenox are allergic to it and in cases actually cause more trouble than what its worth. I was quickly removed from the medication and put back on the old reliable stuff. I am so glad to have moved to England where xopenox doesnt exist.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 11

My 3 year old daughter has been on this medication as needed since she was 9 months old. She recently had an asthma flare and we began treatments 2-3 times a day, as prescribed by the doctor. The treatments do help with the asthma symptoms. Within minutes she is breathing much better and less coughing however the side effects aren't great. She gets very hyper and out of sorts.

Comment from: marblemaniac100, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 05

This was prescribed for my 2 year old son during asthma symptoms. I have severe asthma and I now use this medication also. I like the fact that this medicine does not make me jittery and edgey. Albuterol always made my heart race and made it harder to relax after a treatment. This medication is much more expensive though. I do not like the fact that you are supposed to use the whole package in two weeks of opening (with 24 treatments). They need to make the packages smaller so that you can only open one with a few treatments at a time so that the unused portions would last longer.

Related Reading: albuterol

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 26

My son has chronic asthma and cannot take albuterol, the Xopenex works so much better and doesn't give him the jittery after effects.

Related Reading: asthma | albuterol | xopenex

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 18

My child has suffered from asthma attacks for quite some time. I have tried many different neb meds, but most of them leave him very jumpy and agitated. It is not as fast acting as albuterol inhalant is, but it doesn't race his heart as much when he needs double doses.

Comment from: mommyjan2005, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: May 27

I was put on this med because albuterol has lost it effectivness for me(I've been on it for over 15yrs) at first this drug worked great but after 3 months stopped working, very bad asthma came back, now I'm on combivent to control asthma which is most comenly used for COPD and emphasima and I'm only 25!!!! What am I going to do when this becomes non effective, theres no other drugs on the market that I havn't been on!!!

Related Reading: combivent | copd

Comment from: Asthma KIDD, 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 09

I feel that this medicine has worked out fine. But if you have any headache related illness in your family do not take cause migrains can star and worsen over time

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 02

I have asthma, and had an attack at work. I tried using my albuterol inhaler, and it only made things worse. I love this so much more! I don't have any side effects, and it works!

Comment from: Louisa, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 29

I am still on it, but I try to not use it even if I have to. The reason being is that I found that whenever I would use it that an hour later I would be really dizzy, would be so shaky that I could not do my job properly. I also found that I had a splitting headache, also would be coughing nonstop and have an even harder time breathing.

Comment from: popcorn0193, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 27

I have a history of asthma, and i'm on atenolol for high blood pressure. I had something like an allergic reaction to the atenolol causing me to have a touch of asthma. I was having a constant cough and slight trouble breathing. I had to use this for 2 weeks. After using it, my airway felt more open, but it didn't help the coughing right away. I believe it went away by itself. And my mom still makes me use it when i have a coughing fit. A nuisance to use. Tastes like salt so i breath through the nose.

Related Reading: atenolol | high blood pressure | cough

Comment from: mmweste, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 01

I was using albuterol,going through all the side effects albuterol causes.I was hospitalized and my Doctor prescribed Xopenex.Not only does it not cause the shaking and heart racing for me,I can now go for eight hours between treatments.

Comment from: map, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 06

Works okay,although not very fast, but causes insomnia if I use several times for a day or two. Not jittery, but wide awake for hours.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 20

I wont use anything else. I've tried my other rescue inhalers but this one stops the shakes and eases me back into breathing normally. I also have Pleurisy and it doesnt make it worse.

Related Reading: pleurisy

QUESTION

Asthma is a chronic respiratory disease. See Answer
Comment from: lillith, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 14

I had broncitis and they perscribed me this with my antibiotics. this medicine should come with a warning not to use at bed time! couldn't sleep all night and i had shortness of breath which i didn't have before treatment. i stopped after 2 days.

Comment from: jakeanddana, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 20

After using the Pro-Air (albuterol) inhaler for years, I was recently prescribed Xopenex after being sick of my heart racing from the albuterol. Xopenex does not work as fast as albuterol (works in minutes as opposed to seconds) but doesn't make my heart race and I have no side affects. On my cigna prescription plan Pro-Air was $40 and Xopenex is $25.

Related Reading: albuterol | xopenex

Comment from: 0-2 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 31

My 2 yr old daughter been taking this. I need to know all the possible side effects.

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 25

The only negative to this was the jittery feeling and heart racing. It was prescribed 3x a day but I couldn't handle that. It did open my airways so I could breathe. I had a severe case of bronchitis (almost pneumonia) which only got worse after a week of medication. This allowed me to start breathing again.

Related Reading: bronchitis | pneumonia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 14

Cannot tolerate albuterol because it makes my heart pound and nervous. Xopenex relieves my symptoms and is better tolerated.

Comment from: LATucker, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 26

My 3 year old daughter has been on this since she was 6 months old. It works very well and we have absolutely NO side effects.

Comment from: asthmasucks, 13-18 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 13

I take this for asthma, only use it when an attack occurs, but it hardly helps. I switched from Albuteral when i was eight, and want to go back to it because xopenex stinks.

Related Reading: asthma | xopenex