Xylocaine Viscous

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 05

I was to gargle the solution to bring relief to painful strep throat. Since the solution had an extremely thick consistency, it was difficult to gargle. The pain in my throat was also very far down and this was difficult to do without choking. I haven't experienced the numbness of the area that I would like to have, but the pain is less than it would be otherwise.

Related Reading: strep throat

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 16

Xylocaine Viscous 2% is an OTC product in Ontario. I bought it at $12.00 a bottle (200 ml) to help ease the severe pain I'm experiencing with a case of "Thrush mouth". While the relief is short-term and requires repetition of swishing and swallowing (or expectorating), it has taken more than the edge off the pain, so it's worth the money. Due to its viscosity, I also bought a bottle of Chloraseptic spray to mix with it in small amounts. While I still can't ingest anything close to normal food, I can prepare some foods to be ready after I take the Xylocaine / Chloraseptic mixture. Most still hurt going down, but at least I don't have to spit them out because they're just too hard on the mouth and throat. Easiest to swallow, surprisingly, is a blend of mild coffee, 1% milk and dissolved sugar - somewhat hot. Vanilla pudding and soft vanilla ice cream are about the same (Keep the ice cream cold. Once it melts and warms, it hurts.) Foods that hurt the tongue, gums, lips, inner mouth and throat, but ARE tolerable after taking the mix are: cold rice pudding, whipped potatoes with milk (and butter to taste), macaroni with a milk and MILD cheese, chicken/beef broth and baby food to taste. AVOID anything with an acidic base such as tomato and orange! I'm on the 4th day of taking Fluconazole (100 mg 1ce per day) and have noted some improvement, but have a long way to go. I have to find foods that boost my intake of protein and fibre without ripping my throat apart! I'm also wondering why Nyastatin wasn't prescribed along with the Fluconazole. I'd appreciate any suggestions for these last two.

Related Reading: xylocaine viscous | thrush | xylocaine

Comment from: Mb1076, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 14

I developed a terrible blister in my throat which eventually evolved into an incredibly painful ulcer after having general anesthesia. The anesthesiologist prescribed this medication and told me to mix it in a little bit of childrens liquid ibuprofen. This made it easy to gargle and coat my throat. Finally relief.

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Comment from: C-girl, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 28

This may sound bizzare. This medication is used as a topical as opposed to injestible or injectible. My pain area is erruptions of blisters due to genital herpes. I am on a daily dose of Valacyclovir 500 mg. profilactily (meaning even without symptoms to keep a small dosage in my system to keep the virus at bay) The other day the virus was present with the pain of the broken blisters. I saw Lidocain viscous 2% in my medicine cabinet for use for gargling for temporary relief of a sorethroat. I applied a small amount on a tissue making sure to avoid contamination to the top of the bottle by using clean tissues for addisional reapplication. The pain relief was instantaneous albiet temporary. But if anyone has experienced the pain associated with these blisters (usually women have more pain as men don't always know they are with symptoms) even temporary relief is wonderous!!! Maybe a new use for this topical drug???

Related Reading: valacyclovir

Comment from: throathurts, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 02

I have a sore throat, not sure of cause yet as I am still waiting for throat culture results. I too found it very difficult to gargle and I could not get the solution to the part that needed it before my gag reflex kicked in. What I did was use a q-tip and applied it directly to my tonsil area. There is only one area that still hurts so this is better than the gargle directive.

Related Reading: sore throat

Comment from: AlyB, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 02

I have been really sick with tonsillitis and strep throat, so finally the Dr. prescribed this to me, and it was a Godsend! It IS thick and tastes nasty, but if you're in that much pain, those things don't matter. And, the solution is so powerful that you can dilute it a little with water to help with the consistency if need be and still have great results. I recommend it to anyone with severe mouth/throat pain.

Related Reading: tonsillitis

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 04

I was percribed this for relief of severe strep throat. The taste is not plesant, and the thick consistancy makes it difficult to gargle. To be honest, I found it difficult to use probably won't use it again.

Related Reading: strep throat