Yasmin

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 21

I love Yasmin!! I didn't gain any weight, my face is super clear, it's easy to use and i didn't get any side effects like breast tenderness, etc. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Related Reading: yasmin

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 21

I was on yasmin 6 years and for the last year and a half have had a lot of heart problems and blood pressure problems, severe headaches and migranes, and bad mood swings for 2 weeks out of the month. The first 4 years on the pill were great I lost weight and my skin was clear all the time but be careful when you are on this pill for an extended period of time. I didn't think that any of my symptoms were related to the pill, and my dr's couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. When I switched off of it because of low sex drive all of my other symptoms went away!!! Pay attention to your body...

Related Reading: yasmin

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 15

Ladies please beware of this product; do more research before taking this med. I took Yasmin for nearly 5 years before the side effects appeared. I was one of those women who swore by this product too. But now I've developed tinnitus, anxiety, depression, unexplained anger, hair loss, irregular heartbeat, indigestion, unable to wear contacts, and many more side effects. I just thought my body was changing because I was over 30 yrs. old. Prior to Yasmin, I was perfectly healthy and active. I'm 32 yrs old and wish i had my old life back. I've been off Yasmin for 6 wks now and my body is slowly coming back to normal. The anxiety and indigestion are under control; and my hair is starting to grow again. I'm not trying to preach to you, but just beware, don't rely on your GYN to research what he/she prescribes to go into YOUR body. Do your own research.

Related Reading: tinnitus | anxiety | depression

Comment from: koalabear, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 25

I love how the pills are so small I can take them without water. It has made a huge difference during that time, I have very little pain (from severe pain), very light flow for a few days (from heavy for over a week), and my PMDD symptoms are gone. I wish this was available years ago!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been taking Yasmin for over 4 years and have not had any problems with it at all. I have not experienced any mood swings, no weight gain, etc. My sex drive has actually increased...... I tried to switch to another BC that would be less expensive and had every symptom that others are reporting, EXTREME mood swings were the worst, so back to Yasmin 28. I have tried Ocella the generic version in the past and experienced break through bleeding throughout the month. I will stick with Yasmin.

Comment from: jaq835, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 26

I decided to write this because I've noticed that a lot of people have experienced mood related issues whilst on Yasmin. For me, Yasmin works perfectly, no break-through bleeding, good skin, no excess hair loss (which I have had on other pills), no noticeable weight gain and I'm not pregnant. That aside though, it did destroy my sex-drive and often made me feel anxious and depressed. I did find a way to fix this though. As long as I take a multivitamin and probiotic daily and do some exercise (a quick jog or something) I do not have any side-effects from being on this pill. After feeling normal on Yasmin for a couple of weeks, I stopped taking the vitamin tablets and at first noticed no change so decided I was fine without them. Suddenly just one night, my sex drive was gone again and I was again lying on my bed crying and wondering why I bothered with life... So it's back on the vitamin tablets and back to feeling normal. This drug can be very dangerous, I've never felt so sad and been so irritable, but at least in my case I can manage it with the help of vitamins. Hope this is helpful to people.

Related Reading: hair loss | vitamins

Comment from: poohkis9, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 19

I am 32 years old and on jan 20th 2013 i suffered a stroke. the doctors stated it was due to a blood clot that went to my brain from a hole in my heart. other than that yazmin was a miracle drug and the pros out weighed the cons but the con caught up to me.

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: LA, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 09

I've been on Yasmin for 5 1/2 years & was perfectly happy with it. I took it for birth control & the positive effects were a bonus - like clearing my huge big breakouts once a month, lightened my period, cut my period to 3-4 days. I did get the bloating, weight gain & minor headaches over the last years & was able to manage through them with Advil or exercise. However, over the last 2 months, I started noticing that I was getting these headaches that won't go away. It started 2 months ago, thinking it's just the usual headache migraine I got before my period but it lasted for almost a month! Just a dull, nagging, aching headache at the top of my head. Took everything (Advil, Tylenol, Aspirin) & it would kind of go away but recur again. Also, I went to see my primary care doctor to ask why I got these lingering headaches, although not painful, but dull & achy. They saw my blood pressure was elevated & my doctor didn't know if this was caused by my headache. Then I started reading these emails about negative side effects of Yasmin. At first I ignored them but then when I read them, I found out that I had the same symptoms! I got the anxiety attacks, terrible heart palpitations, high blood pressure, never ending dull headache, & also dryness in my vaginal walls that sex felt painful & all these I never experienced before. I compared my experiences to all the reviews I read & found that most women who were on Yasmin for a long time like myself had the same results. My gynecologist told me to stop using it & will probably switch me to a lower brand. If you notice any of these symptoms, please stop taking Yasmin.

Related Reading: yasmin | headache | tylenol

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 03

I was on Ocella, the generic for Yasmin. On Ocella, I gained 15 pounds, had a constant migraine, always felt exhausted, always felt hungry but had no appetite, was irritable, prone to burst into tears over anything (extremely uncharacteristic of me), pretty much any negative side effect birth control can cause was caused by Ocella. My doctor switched me to Yasmin and I immediately felt 100% better. I feel like myself again. I honesetly think it's worth the extra money. Although the generic may have the same active ingretients, the inactive ingredients are significantly different enough to ruin your life. Yasmin is the only birth control I have been on that hasn't negatively affected my daily life.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 29

I've been on it for 3.5 years with no need to switch brands, etc as can happen with long-term use. Oh, and I haven't gotten pregnant which is kinda the point :-)

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 20

I have PCOS. This has been the only birth control to minimize my cysts and decrease my abdominal pain. They have tried so many different kinds of birth control and this one definitely works. It is also the only one that has not caused weight gain. I've actually lost 35 pounds. I have been taking Yasmin 28 for about 5 years and now I'm going to ask my doctore about Yaz. Seems like they have only improved on a good thing.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | yaz

Comment from: cljordan, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 27

After birth of my second child I decided to try Yasmin. First three months were fine and then the fourth month my breasts went up a cup and I gained ten pounds WHILE exercising six days a week and eating a sensible diet. I also started losing my hair and I'm not talking about a little here or a little there due to just having a baby. I'm talking about huge handfuls to the point where I could see the scalp in the front of my head. Once I stopped taking the Yasmin my hair has slowly stopped falling out and it's been 5 months. Other than that my face was clear as could be but I was balding and fat.

Comment from: chachamoma, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 11

Ocella is the generric drug for Yasmin. I was ask by my OBGYN if I would like to try it. I said no,because I thought it wouldnt be effective. My pharmacy gave it to me without asking. I questioned it and thought I would give it a try, because it was cheaper. It was not worth it!!! I started with symptoms that were not real noticable redness and swelling but no pain until the second month of pills. I had burning swelling and redness and and upset stomach. I had to put a icebag there it helped with burning. Then came the yeast infection on top of it all. Called my Obgyn they said these were side effects from the fillers.And that after my period I could have another yeast infection. This drug in not the same as Yasmin. Even the hormones are different It was not worth the aggravation. There is a big difference in generic drugs. I had to find out the hard way.

Related Reading: yeast infection

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 14

I took this pill for about 2 1/2 to 3 years, and it was ok. My periods were regular, lighter and shorter. No problems with headaches, acne, cramping, or weight gain. Actually I lost about 20 pounds on this pill. However, even though I took this pill religiously, I now have a beatiful 1 yr. old little boy!!

Related Reading: acne

Choosing Your Birth Control Method See Slideshow
Comment from: GinaF, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a 41 y.o. female with uterine fibroids. I took Yaz to control uterine bleeding. Worked great. Quality of life better. Blood pressure issues arose. Had to stop taking it.

Related Reading: uterine fibroids | yaz

Published: November 30

I developed a blood clot using this drug. BEWARE

Comment from: roxannne5, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 25

6 years on Yasmin. I never thought there was a problem with it. In fact, I had a clear face, light periods, no cramping, bigger boobs and I thought it was great. BUT, on the side, I was diagnosed with depression, went through a very rough time, was on anti-depressants for 2 years and suffered from incredibly bad migraines. Looking back, I can't believe my doctor never put the two together. I finally came to my senses and saw a different doctor, and she was instantly shocked I was still on Yasmin after everything I described. She instructed I immediately get off it. After stopping Yasmin and deciding to stop my anti-depressants, I was a different person- a happy person. My migraines lessened. It's amazing that during those 6 years I was convinced it was just me. I'm writing this to warn anyone, if you are experiencing depression, mood swings and especially migraines, PLEASE get off it for at least 3 months and see if there is a change. I wish I would've done it sooner. It is extremely dangerous to be taking Yasmin if you have migraines, as the history with the drug involves blood clots (if you research Yasmin, there has been a LOT of legal issues regarding this). All in all, it works for some and not for others.

Related Reading: yasmin | depression | blood clots

Comment from: Anastasia Beaverhausen, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 02

I was initially put on Ocella a few years ago and then it was switched to Zarah (generic of Yasmin). Zarah was perfect for me. I didn't feel any changes, except for a lighter, not-so-long lasting period (obviously, a plus). But then after I changed health insurance plans (went onto my employer's), the pharmacy switched it to Yasmin. I've been on Yasmin since January 2014 and I hate it. I've gained weight (and I'm finding it harder to lose the weight), my face has broken out more than when I was a teen, and I am having this brownish type of blood spotting (or whatever you'd like to call it) the week before I'm due for my period (essentially having two weeks of a period). Why is this happening if Yasmin and Zarah are supposedly the same? I hate this. I'm switching. Every body is different, and I get that, but still. This is ridiculous.

Comment from: aimflem, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 25

I was on this birth control and started feeling very depressed, to the point of getting angry at myself. I was absolutely overwhelmed with life, cried for no reason. My doctor put me on a different pill and all my sysmptoms cleared until I started developing cysts. He switched me back to this one again, because we both could not remember why I went off of it. After just one month of taking this I can't stand myself. Frustrated, anger, depression, this is crazy! This pill should not be available!

Comment from: lg1031, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 10

I was at my lowest weight. 3-4 days light period. Excessive sex drive to the point my husband was upset. I had severe anxiety. Panic attacks. Gallbladder pain. Dry contacts. My doctor denied my anxiety was from the bcp. Tried several anti-anxiety, anti-depressants before realizing it was Yasmin and stopped them all. The unwarrented rage was awful. I have been off of Yasmin and on the Paraguard (non hormone IUD)for almost a year now. Symptoms of anxiety and fear and rage subsided within months. I would love, love, love to be able to take this to manage my weight but the side effects are awful. Thank you to all the ladies that posted about our alike symptoms, my husband and I got a lot of validation - we thought we were alone in this nightmare!!

Related Reading: anxiety | panic attacks | gallbladder pain

Comment from: bronsonsuicide, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 30

I was on Yasmin for 5 years before I got sterilized. I went off it after my surgery and my life has been hell ever since. Yasmin was fantastic; helped with acne, had a very small damper on my sex drive, made my boobs huge and my periods non-existent. The only thing I hated was having to remember to take a pill daily. When I quit taking Yasmin, I aquired major PMS, horrid mood swings, very HEAVY and painful periods, I lost about 20 lbs, I lost most of my boobage and I became EXTREMELY fatigued and depressed. My doc put me back on the stuff last week.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: L, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 11

This was the worst experience of my life! I can't believe it's still on the market. I weighed 107 when I started and in a month went down to 89 lbs. I've never been so sick in my life, and had no idea it was from this wretched pill! Thank God I found out. It caused a lot of health problems from the rapid weight loss. Extreme mood swings which were way out of character for me as well. I wish this were taken off of the market so it doesn't harm others!!!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 16

Well I'm 25 and I started taking this pill to help with pmdd. I finished one week so far. My breasts are soooo sore, Ive been nauseauated the whole time. But, i'm not as hungry so I not forsee any weight gain with taking this pill. Ive been extremly mellow, which is good. Less anxiety (plus). So far, I just dont like the fact my boobs are so swollen. I have large breast to begin with and the pill is making them bigger! And afetr I eat I nausea. But hopefully that will subside. I mean i've been taking for 7 days now.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 02

I have had very bad side effects with this BCP. It is effective in that I did not get pregnant, however, emotionally, 2 weeks out of the month I was a wreck.

Comment from: TaylorSAYS, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 19

I am 26 years old and was on Yasmin for 10 years and was taken off of it about a year ago due to migraines with auras. I absolutely LOVED it as far as skin, increased breast size, no weight gain. However, I have not had a migraine since being taken off of it a year ago. Before this pill, I never had any issues with my periods and when I stopped it, my periods have been right on schedule. If I was late taking it, it would not initiate a period, which I loved; however I do think it increased anxiety, hard to be sure, as a lot was going on between 15 and 25 years of age. :) I miss it but being migraine free is PRICELESS after years of suffering, even if it means smaller breasts and a little heavier bleeding. If I didn't have migraines with this medication, I would definitely still be on it.

QUESTION