Zarontin

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 22

I had epilieptic seizures from around 5 years old when (in 1958) my Doctor controlled it with a combination of Phenytoin and Phenobarbitol. The outcome of this was that I spent the next 6 years at school in a sedated and confused condition resulting in me being regarded by teachers ar retarded and by the school bullies as an ideal victim. At the age of 11 another Doctor prescribed Zarontin and turned my life around; within a year I was top in Sciences, English, Math and so on. After about 5 years of the new medication I had grown out of the condition and no longer needed treatment. I am now 58 and have worked for a number of the top consultancies in the world as an Electronic Design Engineer - none of this would have been possible without this extraordinary drug Zarontin. Thanks Parke-Davis you gave me my life back.

Related Reading: phenytoin | zarontin

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 16

My son was diagnosed with absence seizures at the age of 5. Zarontin is the only medicine he has ever taken and I believe it works wonders. He was testing very low in his kindergarten class before taking the medicine. About 3 weeks after we started the medicine he was in the top 3 of his class. Yes, it is very hard to have to put your children on medicines but, I believe this was the best choice by far. In the beginning he was a little hyper shortly after his dose but, he has adjusted to all the side effects now. Did you know that a child with absence seizures also know as blank stare seizures can have up to 150 seizures a day? Well, I hope this helped someone out there struggling with the difficult decision to medicate their child.

Comment from: 7-12 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: November 22

My son was diagnosed with petit mal siezures in 4th grade (age 9). Once starting Zarontin he became seizure free. He had little to no side effects. He stayed on it for 4 yaers twice a day without ever having (to our or his knowledge) another siezure again. My wife was religious about his frequency and time of day (same always) for dosing. He completely outgrew the illness and has been siezure and medication free since. He is almost 18 now. It was very beneficial for him.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: mariasmom, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 31

While I really struggled with the decision to put my 9-year-old daughter on any type of medication when she was diagnosed with absence seizures, I am absolutely certain my doctor was spot on by prescribing the Zarontin. I have seen zero seizures in the 5 weeks she has been taking it and her confidence and grades have improved dramatically.

Comment from: Pauls mommy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 03

My son, 10 yrs. old, was diagnosed with primary generalized epilepsy in September 2012. first med. Depakote, horrible side effects of aggression, sadness...Weaned him from that to try Zarontin 250 mg/ 2x day. So far, last two weeks, have been great! Mood has leveled out, couple minor stomach aches reported and has mentioned trouble sleeping at times...so far, so good. The other drug was a nightmare and this is a blessing (so far). Glad to have my son back!

Related Reading: depakote

Comment from: Buddy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: February 07

My 6 year old Daughter was diagnosed with petite Mal seizures. She has been on the medication Syrup for 6 months, started @ 8ml now up to 9 ml. Since taking the medicine I have noticed her seizures have gone from the eye rolling to actual shaking. They are occurring much more then they did prior to the medicine. She complains of Stomach ache every day. She is often tired during school and actually falls asleep in class often. I am not so sure about this medicine being right for my daughter.

Comment from: Treesh, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 26

This Zarontin/Ethosuximide has been effective in controlling Absence Seizures, however the liquid for is made with Red and Yellow Dye. It is totally unacceptable the FDA and the US still allows this in our drugs and foods while other countries ban these dyes. They cause cancer and headaches and a multitude of other problems. This is an anticonvulsant drug and it is ridiculous that it contains any type of dye!

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 05

My 7 year old took this and it controlled the seizures. However, she experienced vivid hallucinations and sleeplessness. We couldn't get her off of it fast enough.

Comment from: MomOfTwo, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: May 10

My 8 year old dsughter uses this for Petit Mal Seizures - it works great and is easy to take, we tried other meds and this one was the right one for us. She has been seizure free for more than 6 months:)

Related Reading: seizure

Published: April 10

I am using this in my 6 year old daughter. It has helped greatly and I agree that it is easy to use.

Comment from: [email protected], 13-18 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 05

My daughter who had dignosed with year old Petit Mal Seisures was tanking Zarontin 2 a day , then in 6 month increased dose to 5 a day. in about 1 year we did follow up with 2nd EEG Dr. said that nothing is changed, so he refering her to go to Hospital for a 3 days EEG , and before he prescribes more stronger meds

Related Reading: zarontin

Comment from: kaf101, 7-12 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 18

My 9 1/2 yr old daughter has been taking zarontin for 2 years. She started at 5 ml twice per day. Now she is on 8 ml twice per day. Recently she has been complaining of a gassy upset stomach and has vivid dreams/nightmares and cannot sleep through the night. Her recent EEG's have shown some seizure activity, hence why her medicine has slowly increased. Looks like we will be making an unplanned trip to the neurologist.

Related Reading: zarontin | nightmares

Comment from: Carrie B, 7-12 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: March 08

Very effective for the seizure activity. Daughter 6yrs old when started, now 7 years old. However significant trouble sleeping, hallucinations, and vivid dreaming problems. Common stomach aches too. Will go off of this med due to these problems.

Comment from: Naturally Concerned, (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 7. Unfortunately, after months of testing; CAT Scans, MRIs, blood work, (a 3 month hospitalization), it was determined that I had Gran-Mal, Petite-Mal, and Psycho-Motor seizures. I was initially prescribed Tegretol or Carbamazepine which worked moderately for about 7 yrs. At age 14, still having active seizures, the determination was made to try me on Zarontin... huge mistake! I was so disoriented and unable to function that I stepped into the path of an oncoming school bus and had no idea what to do to save myself. I hadn't even realized the danger I was in. Zarontin made me completely numb and unable to focus AT ALL. Because of this incident (23 years ago) I have been reluctant to accept any further treatment for my seizure disorder. I'd rather live with Epilepsy than die from reactions to improper medication. Coincidentally, as I got older and remained un-medicated, the seizures became more and more infrequent. I have relapsed periodically, during more stressful points. In all fairness, it should be mentioned that I was introduced to Depakote for a brief period in my adult years, but that proved ineffective for me. I currently manage a relatively seizure-free life without medication. I have found that nutrition plays a large role in my neurology. I am not a doctor, but would like to share some information that may help those suffering seizure disorders. Please avoid foods containing "Aspartame"; an artificial sweetener. This may help to control some seizures. http://www.sweetpoison.com/phenylalanine.html I only wish this info had been available to me years ago. I'm providing it in the hopes that it may help someone else, now.

Related Reading: tegretol | carbamazepine | depakote

Comment from: lisa58, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 15

This is the best so far out of all the other drugs that Ive taken in close to 30 yrs!

Comment from: Abby's Mom, 7-12 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 20

Has worked well for my 6 yr. daughter however did notice moodswings as dosage was being adjusted up. She did get used to it though and follow up EEG looking better :)

Comment from: KellyZD, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 13

My daughter has been on Zarontin since age 4 (she is almost 13 now). It has totally controlled her symptoms. Until recently, side effects were minimal -- very vivid dreaming/imagination, etc. I don't know what other patients with this disorder were told, but we were told this is the type of seizure you outgrow by puberty. My daughter entered puberty about a year ago. Now, the past couple of days, she's had bad headaches and jumpy vision. Not sure what's going on but am calling doctor tomorrow.

Related Reading: puberty

Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 24

My 6 year old daughter started zarontin, and within 3 days was seizure free. she was on the same dose for 2 years, went off for a while and unfortunately back on a slightly higher does, but again is seizure free. side effect were minimal for 3 weeks.

Related Reading: zarontin | seizure

Comment from: lindsaymabon, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 21

for years i have been taking Zarontin (capsules) and then all of a sudden i was given the syrup which i was not happy with so i wrote to the company and complain but then was told they couldnt do it anymore so i had no choice so i carry on with the syrup yesterday i went to the dentist and he was shocked same as i was too but i had a feeling it would happened and i was right all along i had to have 2 very deep fillings and took longer then he said it would and not only that it cost me a lot of money which i cant afford as i am retired so is it possible to go back to capsules if so i bea very happy bunny and i bet i am not the only one (when i first try the syrup it was very sweet) so is there anyone else taking the same medicine if so be warn it will affect your teeth especially the children

Related Reading: zarontin

Comment from: richmondfc23, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 01

In my nine year experience of drugs to control epilepsy this one is the best by miles. Firstly, I have been put on a cocktail of 14 pills a day to control my tonic-clonic and grand mal seizures. At first, drugs like Lamictal and Epilim (I'm Australian) were not that useful and had too many side effects. When we rolled the desperate dice and I went on Zarontin it was almost instantly successful. However, as expected the transition for this drug to take effect on the body takes time. It is far from an overnight drug. As far as the side effects/ drug effictiveness ratio goes, this as a winner by far. It is heavy drugs. That is for sure, but unlike minor drugs like Lamictal which indecisive Neurologists flirt with, the biggest side effect would have been a loss of sleeping pattern. A fine compromise in terms of daily grand mal seizures or an inconsistant sleeping pattern. Just a final point of observation, if you want to put your child on this drug it may be tough. Two reasons for this. The pills are quite large. Possibly two centimetres long (0.8 of an inch), very thin though. however the taste of the liquid is simply horrid. A definite choice of tablet is imperative. When I was eight I couldn't keep the drug down so to speak. P.s (sorry about the unit), as I'm australian I use the metric system. hope I helped!

Related Reading: lamictal

Comment from: animator, 7-12 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 28

side effects such as mood swings, lost of apetite, lack of energy, hard to follow direction, difficuties to focus, memory loss

Comment from: Worried Mom, 7-12 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 15

My son is 9 has been on it since July. First dose 250 Mg in the morning & 250 Mg in the evening made a huge difference. But because he was still having a few dr. started to increase. With each increases he has had bad appetite, feeling hot, bad dreams, throwing up, cannot drink dairy anymore. Seizures have come back full force and now 1000 MG per day. We are winging off to a lower dose in hopes that lower is better. Dr. wants to introduce Lamictal but I am deathly afraid. We are fighting with insurance to get to a pediactric neuro. Can anyone tell me if their kids are being treated by a general neurologist or a ped's. Why won’t insurance company automatically just approve this! So frustrated.

Comment from: Amber, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 03

My son has been taking this medication for approx. 4 years now and we have had good success as long as he does not miss any doses. the side effects he experienced such as headach and stomach fade with time.

Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 07

I have just put my 8 year old on this medication. And I am trying to figure out if other children experience side effects such as stomache, or headache? My daughter has woke up throwing up and I am not sure if it just takes time??? Any advise??

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: thankssomuch, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 01

I have both petit mal and abscence refractory and until adding ethosuximide to lamictal, I was lost...I havn't had any side effects that I've noticed, but with adhd some of them would be hard to detect, but I also only take the smallest dose once a day. Changed my life so far...

Related Reading: lamictal