Zetia

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 13

AFTER USING ZETIA SINCE 2006 DEVELOPED PAINS IN LEGS, WEAKNESS,COULD NOT WALK, TINGLING SENSATION IN FINGERS AND FEET TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE TOOK MYSELF OFF AND WILL SEE DR. THIS WEEK, THEY DONT BELIEVE PAINS IN LEGS COME FROM ZETIA BUT I KNOW MY MUSCLES ARE KILLING ME....DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THIS AGAIN...

Related Reading: zetia

Comment from: beauty_chic, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 20

With Zetia I had stomach pain pancreitis dizziness and low energy

Related Reading: zetia | dizziness

Comment from: gwa, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 27

If you remember the last time you had the bad flu. where every part of your body ached,from your hair roots to your toe nails.Thats Zetia

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: pepe, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 14

I have tryed all statin meds, they worked well on lowering cholesterol but side effects forced me to stop them. MD put me on Zetia for a second time advising that Zetia do not have a sidr effects loke statin meds. After 30 days of taking 10 mg of Zetia I've got knee pain, wikness, tiredness, headaches and pain in both eyes. Today I'll stop taking it. No more meds for cholesterol for me!! It's enough!!

Related Reading: cholesterol | knee pain

Comment from: Fay, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 27

A few years ago in the US I was prescribed this medicine for my cholesterol. It worked BUT I had the same symptoms what other reviewers developed. SEVERE MUSCLE PAIN, where I cannot even walk properly. Went to a doctor in Singapore which told me to stop taking it immediately and he gave me QUESTRAN (GENERIC NAME IN THE US IS CHOLESTYRAMINE) 2x a day. They are sachets of a powder which you have diluted with water. Drink it at least 1 to 2 hrs after any other medicine or 3 to 4 hrs before you take any other medicine. It is a pain in the neck in the beginning because you have to remember the times etc, but it helped. it is a slow reaction medicine, but it helped. My cholesterol level came down slowly but at least now it is under the border. Also the triglyceride is good now. Talk to your doctor about this and try it. I will never go back to statins anymore. Before Zetia, the doctors have tried Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, you name it. It all developed the muscle pain, but this Questran was the best for me. Of course you still have to watch your food. lots of fruit, vegetables and salmon. Hope this will help you, as it is helping me. They tell me that it is an old fashioned medicine, but I do not care, I am taking it and I am very happy. Sometimes the oldies are still better. I also read in a review of one of these statin medicines, that these musclepains can go up to your heartmuscles. And then it can be fatal. So, friends, try QUESTRAN (CHOLYSTYRAMINE).

Related Reading: questran | statins | lipitor

Comment from: wendy, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 24

I have taken zetia for a few years,and it has not "lowered' my cholestrol levels much at all. But worse yet,I have had extreme tiredness, bowel,bloating,gas probelms. and the last few months i have noticed pain in my legs,and both elbows.Thanks to this Blog website,I found out all these symptoms are sometimes caused by ,you guessed it_ZETIA!

Related Reading: zetia

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 30

I was taking this medication for about six months. I started to have severe chest pain, but it would go away. After the second day, the pain was worse, and traveled to my back and jaw. As a medic, I know the signs of a heart attack. I stopped taking the medication immediately. I still have soreness in my chest, but, the pain stopped. I believe there is no safe cholesterol medication.

Related Reading: chest pain | heart attack

Comment from: Fishingpole, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 13

I am taking Zetia & some other RX's and have had very excessive gas and bloating. I had stopped each RX individually for a while and found that the only relief I got (from gas) was when I stopped Zetia. But my cholesterol went from low 200's back to 250. I went back on Zetia, gas problem returned within 2 days. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found a way to take Zetia or any other RX and not get gas problems? Pls. respond. Thanks.

Related Reading: zetia | cholesterol

Comment from: rose, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 03

I can not tolerate statins.The dr just started me on this drug. Been taking it for 2 months now and it's working for me. My LDL went from 163 to 123 so far. I take 2 fish oil for the triglycerides and that brought that down from 300 to 100, so that combination is working for me. I don't have any side effects so far and I'm very very sensitive to drugs. Hardly can take anything because of a sensitive digestion.I'm glad I can take this.

Related Reading: statins | fish oil

Comment from: anrodo, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 21

My husband was on Zetia for about 6 months. He was doing fine on it , then one day he suddenly developed severe flu like symptoms,body aches all over, nausea, and cold chills. He was in bed for 3 days.He stopped taking the Zetia, all the symptoms went away except for the pain in his legs.His legs hurt and the muscles feel tight all the time. If he even sits for 5 minutes, when he gets back up it feels like he is having to stretch his leg muscles out every time. The pain is affecting his ability to work or even enjoy life at all.Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help us ? No one seems to know why he is having this pain and tightness in his legs.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 29

I have been taking Zetia for several months, this being the second time my doctor has prescribed it for me.. I quit taking it the first time when I experienced leg and joint pain. Now I have begun to experience muscle and joint pain, extreme fatique, mild depression, inability to sleep all night, abdomen bloating, weight gain, and generally not 'feeling good'...it hit me while attending church yesterday that this could all be due to the Zetia again, so I returned home and researched patients' comments online. I have discontinued this drug as of today, and plan to have a strong discussion with my physician the middle of January when I have a follow-up appointment. I am a 65 year old female, am very active, walk 2 miles daily, and generally in good health. My cholesterol was just about 215 before I was told to take Zetia. Currently, I feel like if I don't find an answer, I won't be walking a lot longer. This is very painful to the point that it is difficult to get up from a sitting or kneeling position.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: Niclo, Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 03

After 3 months use developed severe chest and stomach pains. All cardiac tests came back clean but severe inflamation of stomach was found by uppper GI probe. Discontinued use and stomach problem and resulting pains were resolved in a few days...

Comment from: tjc116, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 27

I got pancreatitis from this medicine. I was on it for only 5 months. Be very careful. This is a dangerous drug

Related Reading: pancreatitis

Comment from: LEROY, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 21

MY TOTAL CHOLESTEROL WAS 252 AND MY LDL 179. AFTER TAKING ZETIA,FOR SOME TIME, MY TOTAL CHOLESTEROL DROPPED TO 176 AND MY LDL WENT TO 114. NO BAD SIDE EFFECTS ARE NOTICED AFTER THREE MONTHS OF USE.

Related Reading: cholesterol | zetia

Comment from: fgelica, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 02

Used Zetia for 10 months. Had muscle weakness, was in hospital for two weeks, using Prednisone to combat what was thought to be MYOSITIS, and came home with complete body weakness. I have had remaining problems for three yearss, ending with permanent muscle damage to legs. And I have been weaning off steroid for ONE year, with very badx side effects--siezures, tremors, weight loss, hair loss, cataracts, and many other side effects. Bottom line, this was finally diagnosed as problems from taking the Zetia. My physician will no longer give me cholesterol lowering medication, and everyone who takes these meds should be consistent in monitoring any changes in their health.

Related Reading: prednisone | tremors | hair loss

Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart See Slideshow
Comment from: None, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 05

I started taking Zetia about 1 year ago and my total cholesterol went from 260 to 176 with little change in diet. After 3 months I started getting rashes on different parts of my body. They finally went away after 6 months, then the muscle aches started and today I have severe muscle pain in my neck and shoulders. Muscle relaxers eliminate 95 % of the disconfort but my concern is the long term affects of this drug.

Related Reading: zetia | cholesterol

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 26

I have a big problem now with the calf muscles of my legs and my doctor suggests that I stop taking Zetia for awhile to see if this is my problem. I have been on Zetia for the past 6 years and I never heard of it giving leg problems like this. Please let me know if possible if you have any complaints like this.I hurt very badly. On a scale of 1-10, this is a 9. Please answer me soon if you can.

Comment from: Beeez, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 14

I had terrible muscle pain and weakness, especially in my legs. Could hardly walk or stand for more than a couple of minutes. Pain stopped the same day that I stopped using the Zetia.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 03

My LDL Cholesterol is 150 so my doctor prescribed Zetia to lower it. After taking Zetia for 14 days I discontinued it because of shoulder joint pain and leg muscle pain. I will continue to use diet (Eat to Live) to see if this will continue to reduce my cholesterol. I used the "Eat to Live" diet to reduce my total cholesterol from 264 to 220 & LDL from 192 to 156 in abt 30 days. My doctor still wanted me to take Zetia to help lower it more but after the joint and muscle pain I do not want to take a chance with more problems.

Related Reading: cholesterol

Comment from: Shalee, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 26

I cannot take statins so Dr. put me on Zetia. Level was 240, now after a year it is 220. Lousy HDL and LDL, both worse. Lower leg pains and recently vision problems. So tired, alergy symptoms similar to stuffy nose and throat irritation causing frequent coughing. I am considering going off for 2 - 3 weeks to see if symptoms go away. If so, I'll be off this med.

Related Reading: statins

Comment from: Tired in Texas, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 23

I had taken Zetia once before and was unable to take it but my doctor insisted I try it again because I can not take statins. I took it this second times for about three weeks. I experienced chest pain,abdominal pain, loss of appetite, migraines,eye pain, loss of eyesight, throat irritation and chronic sinusitis. I felt terrible and suggest that before taking this drug you read all side effect first and pay attention to all signs. I never want to take this drug again. Hopefully I will feel better soon.

Related Reading: chest pain | abdominal pain

Comment from: Barbie, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 21

I have been taking Zetia 10mg almost a year. I did not realize or never read the side affects. I have been feeling dizzy, weak very weak. headache all the time. and very Tired...also so depressed because I felt so bad. I am 60 female but a very young 60 :0) also fainted a few times..I could only think because I am overweight that all the Tired and Weak feelings were causing all these feelings. I have stopped Zetia....and already feeling better...I am glad I found the answer...I was tired of being tired :0(

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: murphdo, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 21

It was horrible. Within a week or two of being on it I was getting the most incredibly painful cramps in my leg & foot muscles that I would cry. My big toe litterally snapped down and I could not relieve the pain. I stopped taking it. My doctor did not think that the cramps were caused by zetia, but as soon as I stopped taking it the cramps stopped. Now that I've heard that they don't even know if its effective, I'm glad I'm off. Trying everything I can to bring my numbers down naturally with supplements.

Related Reading: zetia

Comment from: meboro, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 18

I was on Zetia and Welchol for high cholesterol. Problems with aches and pains on statins. I was having terrible gas, bloating, heavy stomach like I was 9 months pregnant. Tried going of the Welchol with no results then because of this board I went back on Welchol and stopped the Zetia. OMG! in a few days the bloating and gas was almost gone and after a week I feel almost normal. I thought I had colon cancer or ovarian cancer! It definitely was Zetia. I had been suffering with these symptoms for months.

Related Reading: zetia | welchol | cholesterol

Comment from: Gary, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 13

I have been taking Zetia for 3-5 years. In the last couple of years, pain in my hands has been increasing to the point that it was difficult to write. Tremors in my hands have increased as well which I attributed to hand pain (but I was also concerned about Parkinson's Disease). I had difficulty doing precision work like using a screw driver and my hands would shake so much that it was difficult to hold a cup. I discontinued use of Zetia in early February and within two weeks hand pain decreased and tremors were essentially gone. I can again write and use a screwdriver!

Related Reading: tremors | parkinson's disease