Zetia

Comment from: LADAN65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 18

Started with LDL at 145 and after 3 months on 10mg zetia, LDL at 102! I take it at breakfast with other vitamins but no statins. I have noticed very little, if any, muscle or joint pain.

Related Reading: zetia | vitamins | statins

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 23

I could not tolerate statins, so my doctor prescribed this drug approximately one year ago. No side effects and it has lowered my overall count from 230 to 165. I take vitamins, walk 5 miles per day and do weight training 4 times per week. No muscle pain.

Related Reading: statins | vitamins

Comment from: ri-rose65-71on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 01

I don't write reviews very often but felt I needed to come back and review this drug again as I reviewed it a couple years ago when I only was on it a few months. I tried several kinds of meds to reduce LDL but had too many side effects. Zetia didn't seem to affect me negatively at first and lowered my LDL. But after I was on it over a year, it turned on me and stopped working plus gave me severe intestinal problems. I ended up having to get two outpatient surgical IRC treatments because of hemorroids. I had to stop the Zetia and my intestinal problems went away. I thought I finally found a drug that would work for me, but over time this one really upset my system while not doing anything for my cholesterol. I'm not taking any drug for it right now, hoping they'll invent something that isn't so harsh on the body.

Related Reading: zetia | cholesterol

Comment from: Bel55-64 Published: December 24

I had a lot of body pain. I could hardly walk. I hated this medication.

Comment from: Kathryn65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 25

After 4 days got facial swelling, skin redness especially between fingers. I discontinued and of course informed doctor. Two weeks and I am still affected but diminishing. One of the inactive ingredients is Sodium Laurel Sulfate, which is used as a positive control in guinea pig allergenicity testing. It's possible that I am sensitized to that after years of prior employment. Anyway, be careful to monitor.

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 03

Bad headaches and diarrhea. Not and cold spells. Cost 4146. for 30 days and that is half my grocery allotment so I won't be taking this anymore.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: mary 55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 22

Low dose of Zetia ....After just first days had severe diarrhea, halfed the dose. After a month I started seeing flashes in my right eye. Lots of eye fatigue, now a lot of 'floaters' in my right eye. Got checked by eye doctor to make sure it wasn't optical nerve damage. Scarey. Coincidence? Don't think so. Cholesterol levels did drop in a month. But, wIll stop Zetia.

Related Reading: zetia | diarrhea | fatigue

Comment from: Survivor200845-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 16

Took Zetia for about 6 weeks. Had severe nausea daily, joint pain, constipation and hot flashes. Been off of it for 10 days now and can barely walk due to severe hip pain and bone pain in my thigh above my knee. Still having hot flashes. Nausea is better but still have it occasionally. This medicine is POISON!! I'm a breast cancer survivor and just found a research study that indicates Zetia may contribute to cancer!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!

Related Reading: zetia | constipation | hot flashes

Comment from: Elaineintokyo65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 25

I took Zetia years ago and it didn't work. New Doc thought I should try again, because I cannot tolerate statins. Turns out I can't tolerate Zetia either. Tingling in feet, the worst back-ache i have ever experienced all with-in a week of starting. Back-ache is listed as common but not dangerous side effect. I could not stand up without screaming and (I gave birth naturally)this back-ache was the worst pain I ever experienced Since Zetia does not reduce risks associated with High Cholesterol, I can't imagine why it is still on the market.

Related Reading: zetia | statins | cholesterol

Comment from: 65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 24

Iam 73 with colesterol of 289. I cannot tolerate statins and believe me, I tried them all. I was prescribed zetia and the headaches started right away. Then I got severe eye pain every time I moved my right eye up. Then nausea, leg, hip and foot pain. My arthritic hands hurt horribly. Then all over body pain. Then I developed upper right abdominal pain, stomache pain and I got very bloated, and my temperature started fluxuating. I was tired and so sore I couldn't walk well. I talked to the pharmacist who suggested I stop taking zetia. That all happened in only 2 weeks on that medicine. So all you guys aren't crazy. Me too!

Related Reading: statins | zetia | foot pain

Comment from: Diane65-71on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 06

I am having terrible leg pain in my left leg. Some elbo pain too. I am going to quit taking this and see if my leg gets better. I’ve had this pain for a week now.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 08

After a week on this Zetia my hands are all cramped up, I feel like I have a cold and my legs feel like they weight 100ld. Calling my Doctor in the morning.

Related Reading: zetia

Comment from: Scotty55-64on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: February 25

Took it (10mg) for over 6 months and had to stop due to severe leg and back pain, rash on my legs, joint pain and more. Took my diet very seriously for a change and my last LDL was 36. Yep, 36. HDL was 32 (which I want to get up a bit). Both my cardiologist and GP were gobsmacked and I never told them that I had stopped taking the Simvastatin and the Zetia. You can do it!!!!!

Related Reading: simvastatin | zetia

Comment from: bomashisha65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 03

Horrible back and leg pain; also it appears my lymphedema in my left arm has gotten worse. Yesterday was the last day I took Zetia. I've taken several other statin drugs and they all caused bad leg pain. It's why the doctor suggested Zetia. My back and leg pain is worse than ever. MRI shows slight arthritis. I recently lost 40 pounds and was hoping this would fix my cholesterol problem, but it didn't. I am 69 years old and feel like I'm 90. I absolutely hate statins and Zetia. No more. I have to find an alternate treatment.

Related Reading: lymphedema | zetia | arthritis

Comment from: Gary65-71on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 28

Husband has been on Zetia for 5 days. Is stopping today. Heâ??s experienced sleepwalking twice that I am aware of thatâ??s not listed on the side effects but that he found listed on the FDA site for Zetia. Yesterday he experienced extreme dizziness to the point of unstable walking and then vomiting. No fever or other issues that would constitute anything viral causing the nausea.

Related Reading: zetia | sleepwalking | dizziness

How to Lower Your Cholesterol & Save Your Heart See Slideshow
Comment from: Immemaw75 or overon Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 05

I have hereditary high cholesterol; Dr had me try various meds but I only used for one week ea/time; had severe leg, foot cramps and chest pains. I've resisted taking medicine for simple things all my life. New doctor insisted I try Zetia. I have taken for two weeks and after reading all these reviews I quit today. I've had terrible indigestion, bloating, sharp pain in area of gallbladder, pain in my neck and upper arms, weakness and a lack of circulation in legs, pain in eyes, blurry vision, insomnia and back pain. All in these two weeks. I'm normally a fairly energetic gr g-maw that loves playing with my 8 gr grandkids; chasing them, riding bikes, playing, taking walks, etc. I don't have the energy for any of this now. I will never take another pill for high cholesterol again. I actually didn't realize all of these problems were connected to Zetia until I read your reviews. Thank you so much for putting them out here.

Related Reading: cholesterol | zetia | indigestion

Comment from: tunro65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 16

I have been on zetia for years. I do not get muscle cramps or weakness but I am concerned about it affecting stomach or bowel. Of course people do not admit adverse side effects of a drug but I am convinced it can hurt you in the long run.

Related Reading: zetia | muscle cramps

Comment from: BSV.65-71on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: September 10

I am a nurse. This was like poison, stomach, weakness,flu like bad leg calves and thigh pains then muscle weakness in lower extremities, fell once. I tried taking half, still my body could not function. I told my MD, I simply had to stop after 6 months. I really question what this does to your heart muscle long term.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: linda65-71 Published: September 09

I have been having leg, sciatica symptoms, headaches( which I have never had) can barely get out of bed,low back ache hard walking. I was allergic to all statins and it seems after reading these reviews the Zetia is doing the same to me. I am quitting the drug. I ended up in urgent care and no one seems to know why I am having these symptoms. Had MRI's ect . It has to be the Zetia,

Related Reading: sciatica | statins | zetia

Comment from: Omafietzen55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 07

Dr. prescribed Zetia (ezetimibe) after 15 years of muscle cramps and pain from Lipitor, then Simvastatin, then Prevastatin. The side effects from Zetia were far worse than from the others. In 30 days I developed muscle weakness, started stumbling, had loss of balance. In addition to these symptoms, by 90 days I started with the brain fog and memory loss, and I couldn't do stairs anymore, I couldn't even get myself up from a chair and the extreme fatigue was horrible, I wanted to stay in bed all day. It was so much so that I was put on probation at work because my work performance suffered. I couldn't even hold my grand babies! I'm only 59!Dr. told me to take CoQ10. It only helped reduce the pain and cramping a little, not the weakness. I felt like I was 90! My adult children couldn't believe the change in me in 3 months time. I stopped the Zetia. In one month the muscle pain is almost gone, the brain fog gone, the weakness in my hamstrings and muscles in my arms is lessening. I still have "flares" if I over-exert myself or experience a lot of stress from the myositis. I'm taking a more natural route now with diet and lifestyle change and fish oil, CoQ10, B-Complex, and Vit. C. I am feeling better, and am gradually retaining the use of my legs and arms. It was the brain fog and memory loss that really scared me and prompted me to stop. It also barely lowered my cholesterol, and it increased my blood sugar levels. This medication is HORRIBLE AND LIFE DEPLEATING!

Related Reading: zetia | ezetimibe | muscle cramps

Comment from: Amanda A.35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: March 17

Before I started taking Zetia, my cholesterol was at 296. I did not want to be put on a statin as my father has had large side effects from them and can no longer take them. Within 2 months of starting Zetia, my cholesterol had already dropped to 213, and my triglycerides had decreased as well. I have had absolutely no side effects from this drug. It has also helped my father, and he has suffered no side effects as well.

Related Reading: zetia | cholesterol

Comment from: Lady 75 or overon Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 12

This drug caused my arthritis bursitis to get worse I have aches and pains all night I was tired I had diarrhea I was depressed I was taking 500 mg prescribed Advil for my arthritic pain the pain was actually caused by this drug I’ve stopped taking it it also affected my mental function

Related Reading: arthritis | bursitis | diarrhea

Comment from: john65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: March 29

Family history of heart disease. Elevated Cholesterol, so using Lipitor and Zetia. My levels now: 280 total down to 150. LDL from 120 to 75. HDL up from 40 to51. Results with just Lipitor not as good and LDL remained high until Zetia. Have been on this for several years with great results and no side effects

Related Reading: heart disease | cholesterol | lipitor

Comment from: Foley45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 06

I took this for past month. Today I am limping from the pain in my ankles and hips.

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 29

Began having stomach pain and bloating after the first dose. This progressed with each dose. Had to stop taking it after only 7 days. I can only hope i return to normal soon.

QUESTION