Zithromax

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 06

DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION WHILE ON SEVERE PAIN MEDS!!!! My wife took this medication for a broncial infection. She was also on Methadone for pain management. The interaction between the two caused her to have a severe heart attack thus killing her. She was only 43 years old!! PLEASE DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOUR LOVED ONES.

Related Reading: pain management | heart attack

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 14

My PSA level has been elevated (6-10) for over 20 years. I have had 3 negative biopsies. I am a microbiologist with a PH.D in biochemistry and researcher into mycoplasma infection. Mycoplasma has been implicated in non-specific pneumonia and to some extent in urethritis. After a round of treatment with zithromax for a finger infection (self-prescribed) I noticed a reduction in night urination as well as an increased urine stream. I asked my urologist to prescribe another 2 week regimen to see if my PSA would go down, suspecting a potential long-term mycoplama infection. He agreed and my PSA level has dropped to 5.0, the lowest level in 20 years. I sleep through the night and my stream has increased. This leads me to believe that elevated PSA levels over a long time frame could be due to mycoplasma infection and that zithromax can successfully treat some cases of BPH (could this lead to a reduction in Prostate Cancer??????). This is worth investigating. Please consult your caregiver and check out this treatment. Jeff Schwartz

Related Reading: pneumonia | zithromax | prostate cancer

Comment from: Mom, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 13

12 year old son had an an allergic reaction and went into anaphylatic shock

Related Reading: shock

Comment from: MelJackson, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 30

Extremely INTENSE stomach pain: I have never left pain like this before. I went to the Dr Thursday (today is Saturday) and was told that I have bronchitis and pharynitis (spelling?) a throat infection. My Dr prescribed “Zmax” which he said is a liquid form, you drink it once and you are done. It stays in your system for 10 days fighting the infection. When I went to the pharmacy they told me that this drug is no longer made, but she happened to have it in pill form. Since the Dr prescribed at 2g, she had 4 - 500mg tablets that she gave me and the directions were to take all at once. I took them Thursday evening around 8pm and within 45 minutes to an hour; I had extreme stomach pain, diarrhea, shakes, and cold sweats. Within a couple of hours I felt fine (stomach wise). Then this morning (Saturday) the intensity came back, with a vengeance! I called and left a message for the on call Dr (who just happened to be my Dr) and when he called me back he said that he disagrees with the pharmacist and for me to take Maalox, Mylanta or OTC Pepcid to help with the stomach pain. He said what I am experiencing is a side effect of the drug and that it “will go away with time”. This is the 2nd time this year I have had bronchitis, and if I get it again, I will be sure to tell my Dr to NOT give me Zithromax (Azithromycin) due to the intense side effects that I am feeling. However, I guess the medicine is doing its job, because the bronchitis is feeling much better today.

Related Reading: bronchitis | zmax | diarrhea

Comment from: christyzachman, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 01

After a month of coughing and difficulty breathing, I was able to get to the doctor who prescribed this for what she called an upper respitory infection. Being diabetic, infections of any kind can lead to death so treating well was imperative. This was a new drug for me and I found it fabulous. After five days I no longer cough and have no side effects so far. Unlike oter antibacterial drugs which have given me vaginal infections and other things, this has not done so. I fully recommend this drug.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 03

After having chronic sinus infections, I've found that using a Z-pack plus prednisone is the only effective "cure". I've never had any of the side effects that other reviewers have experienced.

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: v6v3m7bm4, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 23

I don't want anyone to go thru what I went thru, PLEASE READ: worked great for killing infection, but can cause nausea lasting WEEKS afterward due to system upset which is common for many antibiotics, but seemed more common with this one for me. I HIGHLY recommend stocking up on probiotics (such as BD Lactinex) and taking constantly during and after antibiotic treatment. It is worth the $30 in probiotics for how the $5 antibiotic will make u feel after it has killed off your bad and good bacteria in your body. i would also recommend getting a prescription of phenergen (worked great for me) or zofran (newer but didnt help me) for some nausea u may still feel even while on probiotics while getting thru side effects duration. i ended up in the ER on intraveneous fluids the first time i took azithromycin. the 2nd time on probiotics i got thru it, but still wasn't pleasing - i may try other antibiotics in the future.

Related Reading: zofran | azithromycin

Comment from: Jazzyfizzle, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 06

So I woke up a day ago with a fever and other symptoms. Doc prescribed 250mg Zithromax. I took the first day and a long with some ibuprofen I felt fine. Woke up today with a fever of 102.3. So either this drug sucks or doctors do

Related Reading: fever | zithromax | ibuprofen

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 27

The good news was that my throat stopped hurting. The bad news was that I had bad allergic reaction to this medication. I'm allergic to penicillan so my docotr prescribed zithromax. I broke out in a really bad itchy rash all over my torso and thighs. I had to go to the ER. I was given and prescribed a steroid and anti-histamines. Zithromax stays in your system for as long as you have taken it. So if youhave taken three pills for three days, it will stay in your system three days after you have stopped taking it.

Related Reading: zithromax | rash

Comment from: dingding78, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 22

This is the only and I mean ONLY antibiotic that zaps my sinus infections within 24 hours. I had a severe sinus infection prior to having my daughter and was prescribed amoxicillin by a doctor who said that it worked better. WRONG! Not only did I end up having to do 6 weeks of treatment of it, then finally got the z-pack, I ended up with bell's palsy a week after being seen. I strongly believe if I would have been prescribed zithromax in the first place, my face wouldn't look all wonky now.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 01

I was satisfied that it cured the infection, but within a month of taking the medicine I suffered what is considered an allergic reaction to it that has caused me to suffer from "sebaceous skin disease" and "adult acne", none of which has been a problem before. It has cost me nearly a thousand dollars in curing and nearly a year later I'm still not clear of the problem, though still working with a dermatologist.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: Milly Qwinch, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 28

I took the 6 250 mg pack for a tooth abscess and it was no fun at all in the side effect department. Horrid stomach pains, slight nausea, woozy headed, blurred vision, loose stools, but no diarrhea (I ate lots of plain soy based yogurt). I stopped taking it 5 days ago.The woozies are still here, and I'm tired, but I will never take it again. I have no ax to grind with the medicine companies, and have no reason to make things up. I will be happy to try an old fashioned sulfa drug in the future. I'm certain that the Zithromax will be out of my system in due time. I'm drinking raw carrot juice, and eating lightly.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 05

After 1-2 day of using Zithromax for a Sinus infection, I started feeling achey, I had diarrhea, I was either too hot or too cold, I felt tired, I felt dehydrated. This started yesterday afternoon(the night before the superbowl!) IT is now 7am the following morning. While I am feeling a bit better, I still feel tired, somewhat achey but not as much, and I am still running to the bathroom. This is the first time Ive experienced this with antibiotics, and this is the first and last time I will use Zithromax. It works against the infection, but causes a whole new slew of problems.

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 04

Bad stomach cramps / diarrhea / nausea / dizziness, this did not react well with me at all. I feel worse with all the side effects than I did with no med's.

Related Reading: diarrhea | dizziness

Published: May 14

After suffering with Bronchitis for a week, I was prescribed a Z-Pack. Within 24 hours, I started to feel better. Fever dropped and congestion began to break up. It took two weeks before I was feeling well, but I credit this antibiotic with knocking it out of me. I had a touch of the "runs", but so what. I'm allergic to Penicillin and erythromycin just doesn't do it for me anymore. Zithromax worked great.

Related Reading: bronchitis | fever | erythromycin

Published: December 24

Perfect accept i had chronic horrible diarrhea. cured my pneumonia and i dont care what anyone else says this was perfect

Related Reading: pneumonia

Comment from: briteone1978, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 09

after te first dose after 45 mins. my heart went crazy,couldnt breathe, took next dose and had still anoter episode not as bad but lasted longerand took very scary for me never again would i take it and it takes very long to get out of system!!!!!!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 17

Better with in 48 hours!

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 02

it caused my 17 month old to get Erythema Multiforme all over her body.

Published: February 06

very bad nausea and diarrhea

Published: January 06

My son had an ear infection, and the ER doctor prescribed this, it did not work and I ended up calling my pediatrician and he changed the antibiotic.

Related Reading: ear infection

Comment from: xxdaredevilxx, on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 02

I was very sick with a pain in my throat soon did i find out that i had strep throat. my doctor prescribed me this prescription called zithromax within in one week i feeling back to myself and was back to school

Related Reading: strep throat | zithromax

Comment from: BUBBA, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 22

I TAKEN THE MEDICATION ON A THURSDAY AND 2 DAYS LATER I STILL HAVE A DISCHARGE AND I DON'T FEEL GOOD

Comment from: Ccme, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 25

Prescribed for chronic bronchitis. Within an hour of first dose side effects set in; severe chest pain, pounding heart, irregular heart beat, difficulty breathing, vomiting and diarrhea. Went to emergency and was admitted. X-ray and cat scan normal. Echo/stress test showed normal, healthy heart, but Afib began after treadmill portion of test. It returned to sinus rhythm after 4 hours. Released after 3 days. Given amoxicillin, which didn't help. Finally got rid of cough w steam inhaler. Zithromax is a dangerous drug. FDA needs stronger warnings. My doc should never have prescribed as I have heart issues in my family and had 33 sessions of radiation on my left breast, which increases chances of heart issues. Patients should always research drugs before taking. I normally do, but didn't this time because I was told it's a common antibiotic with little to no side effects and was very sick. In future I'll quiz the doc and pharmacist and google for patient reviews before taking a new drug.

Related Reading: bronchitis | chest pain | stress

Comment from: UOENO, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 23

Took this medication for non-gococcal chlamydia. I was prescribed four 250mg Sandoz Azithromycin that I took Friday at 11pm. I had diarrhea by 12am, felt wonderful by 1am. Saturday was rough, felt unwell all day, nauseated, no diarrhea though. When I ate it made me feel a bit better, Gravol fixed everything. Sunday (today) has been fine, mild stomach ache, although it seems as soon as I'm hungry I feel unwell, and eating fixes it. Overall a very effective drug, after taking it Friday night, the pain when urinating was gone by Saturday afternoon, discharge from penis finished same time the pain was gone. Side effects were mild and if you prepare like I did (Gravol, water, light food such as toast and bananas) everything should be okay.

Related Reading: azithromycin | diarrhea