Zocor

Comment from: georg, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 18

57 male,On zocor for 5 yrs all of a sudden leg pain so bad was in bed for 2 months and hospital for 3 weeks before finding out it was the zocor. Was tested for everythinga to z.. Knees where the worse. They insisted it was not zocor, I stoped it on my own= 2 days latter I walked out of the hospital.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 10

Zocor worked fabulous for reducing cholesterol. I was one of the "rare" side effects. I felt so bad that I wished I would die. I was so extremely fatigued for a year that I was tested for AID, hepatitis, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid, brain tumor, anemia, lupus, mono, etc. As a last resort, my doctor had me quit taking the medicine. I have not felt this wonderful in a year.

Related Reading: zocor | cholesterol | hepatitis

Comment from: Don't remember, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been on Zocor for 6 wks. and I thought I was losing my mind, I started hurting in my hips and joints so bad I could not hardly stand up, I called my Dr. and she said I probably strained my hip and knees, I went to her and same thing, called 3 times crying with pain and she said go to the emergengy room, actuly I think she was tired of me and just thought I wanted pain pills. She put me on this and I guess didn't know the side effects. I have been on wed md for 4 weeks looking up everything trying and trying to find out what is wrong with me and Last nite I took my pill and thought to myself, let me look up the side effects of this because that is the only thing I had not tried and there was all these comments and I knew thats what it was--she will get a piece of my mind Monday for all the pain and suffering I have been through and thanks to this site I don't think I am dying with some diease. My husband has been on this for 7 yrs and can't hardly walk but he has memory loss after a stroke and heart att. and the Dr.s can't understand why he can't walk--I cannot believe he has hurt this long--6 wks almost killed me but he won't complain about anything so, so he has just hurt and I know thats what is wrong with him now--I am not taking anymore of this drug and I hope I can walk in a little while--I woldn't recommend this drug to anyone--Betty

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: GeeGee, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 09

After taking Zocor for approx. 2 years I started to develope symptoms of muscle cramps and excruciating pain in my shoulders and upper back, to the point that I couldn't even lift my arms. Most mornings I could hardly get out of the bed. My arms and shoulders felt like they weighed a ton. I have seen several Doctors, that seem to just blow me off. I wonder why the doctors will not believe their patients.The very first doctor at the emergency room advised me to stop taking the Zocor, that was about 5 months ago. I am still suffering with excrutiating pains in my upper shoulders and arms. I have recently started to have pains in my thighs and pelvic, and hip bones. I have asked my current doctor to run test to see if the medicine has caused any damages to my liver, and she says that all of my tests have come back negative. I have even asked to be tested for lupus, I have not heard from the doctor as of yet. I am normally very active 65 year old female, bowling, walking for miles at a time, exercising 3 to 3 times a week.. After not having the zocor in my system for more 5 months now, one would think that the affects would have worn off by now. My muscles in my arms and upper shoulders are completely gone and I have no strenghth to lift my arms. Is there a doctor out there that can do something to help reverse the effects that this medicine is having on people. I am diabetic, but my diabetes is under control. I am now taking coQ10 to help regain some of my muscles back. If anyone knows of any other remedy please post it. I have been looking online for the last couple of months for some one to help get me back on the road to good health to no avail. These Statin Drugs should be taken off the market I believe they do more harm than good. The pharmaceutical Companies only care about the dollar, not our health. If you are just starting to take this med. please stop now.!!! The long term affect might be devastating

Related Reading: muscle cramps | liver | lupus

Comment from: marni12008, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 30

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to quit hurting in hips, buddocks, and knees after quiting this drug?? I have been off of it 7 days and still can't walk without a walker and getting up and down is terrible pain,if it wasn't for these reveiws I would think I was going nuts!!! I am 58 and have always been active untill now. I took zocor 3 mo. please tell me how long it takes to quit hurting please.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 31

After 2 1/2 months my wife is experiencing weakness, loss of balance, fatigue, she does not want to get out of bed. She is depressed. She has loss of memory, and perception. She is constantly dropping things. I am a physician and am absolutely convinced that Zocor is the cause. Will get rid of all Zocor pills immediately.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: TonyD, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 08

Male, 62. The drug has done what it is designed to do. However I appear to be having side effects which I did not know were associated with this drug. Poor sleep, aching joints, terrible heart burn which usually occures at bed time. Blood work normal, including liver function. Will address these issues with my doctor. THANKS WEBMD for the valuable information!

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: Angela, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 15

I began taking this drug and within 24 hours experienced, blurred vision, extreme tiredness, low grade headache, muscle ache all over my body, low grade fever, flu like symptoms. I was so tired I was sleeping over 10 hours a day. I am a jogger/runner, I workout with weights and do a cardio workout daily. By taking this drug I have gone from being extremely active to a couch potato. I went to the doctor 3 days later with the same symptoms and she said to continue with the drug. The doctor stated that all cholesteral medicines have the same side affects and just to keep taking it. I went to another doctor who promptly took me off the drug because of these dangersous side affects and we are researching other methods to reduce my cholesteral. At this point I do not know the extent of damage there is to my liver from this medicine. Don't beleive all doctors, get a second opinion.

Related Reading: headache | fever | flu

Comment from: ladybeck, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 06

very satified until musceles in legs became so painful could hardly stand-up and walk. Hip and knee Joints became painful.Could only sleep for a hour or so at a time. Felt like i was getting very old very fast and worried about what was happening to me. Depression set in. Started doing research and decided to stop zocor on my own. after only a week began noticing difference. after 3 weeks pain 80% better but still cannot sleep well. Went to dr, and we agreed to stay off zocor for 3 months then re-do blood work. discuss options then. I'm thinking "garlic" or something along those lines.

Related Reading: depression | zocor | garlic

Comment from: jeanne373, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: January 08

I have been taking Zocor, after trying Crestor, Lipitor, for the past 6 months - have suffered with muscle aches, headaches, pain in stomach-these symptoms happen mostly during the night and I am not able to sleep through a whole night without waking up with pain. Stopped taking Zocor the 1st of Nov. felt much better, started it again Jan 4th, just to see if it was causing my symptoms. My cholesteral went back up after stopping the drug. After this past week, I am back to feeling terrible, body aches, etc. - I believe this drug is poison and I will not take it again. This a.m. I could hardly get out of bed, didn't sleep all night. I will have to find other ways to lower the cholesteral as I have proven that Zocor is what caused my physical problems!

Related Reading: zocor | crestor | lipitor

Comment from: Mal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I have only been taking this medication for a week and I am noticing side effects I don't like. I have not been able to sleep properly. I wake up very frequently thorughout the night. I am currently experiencing flu like symptoms and feel feverish. I need to call my doctor to see if these effects would disappear eventually. I am worried.

Comment from: Heartbroken daughter, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 18

I'm writing this for my mom. She is in the hospital due to the side effects from this drug. A Kidney specialist has now been called in on the case. She is now being treated for Rhabdomyolysis: A condition in which skeletal muscle cells break down, releasing myoglobin (the oxygen-carrying pigment in muscle) together with enzymes and electrolytes from inside the muscle cells. The risks with rhabdomyolysis include muscle breakdown and kidney failure since myoglobin is toxic to the kidneys. My mother, age 76 went from driving, going to church, going to the mall, going to her grandson's Tennis matches to having be lifted in and out of bed, walk with a walker, severe leg cramps, no mobility hardly at all now. I went to see her yesterday and she can't hardly feed herself. It's heartbreaking to see her suffer like this. I'm sharing this so you will be informed and hopefully not suffer like my mom.

Related Reading: rhabdomyolysis | kidney failure

Comment from: ginny, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 21

I can barely move. I am so stiff and sore no matter what I do. I am moving like an ancient person. I have been on it for several months so I do not know if it is helping my cholesterol but I can not spend the rest of my life feeling this way. And it is getting worse. Whenever I stand I have to pause for a moment to get going. I feel like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. This is horrible. I am going to work harder to lose more weight and eat better. I am only 54 years old and this medication is really really hurting me. I am going to take a break and see what happens with my muscle aches.I even get shooting pains when I am driving. I do work out and in the garden but this is really bad. So I do get stiff and sore. But this is horrible.

Related Reading: cholesterol

Comment from: patietinneed, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 07

I stopped taking Zocor in December, 2006 and my health problems as worsten. My right leg is so heavy to the point that I need help walking. I have severe pain in my lower butts constantly. My urine has stopped to the point I needed a catheter. Now the side effects from Zocor is muscle weakness. I took Zocor for 10 years, will Zocor expense out of my blood system? Is there a doctor can prescribe to me to help get Zocor out of my system, so my muscle can start rebuilding themselves? I had read all about Zocor and the side effects, but it does not include solution to the side effect of muscle breakdown.

Related Reading: zocor

Comment from: Tammy, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 31

Total loss of energy, muscles hurt terribly, having problems walking due to pain in legs and ankles... now its worked its way to my elbow. Sleep all the time, can't remember things. I am stopping this drug today. Pray I haven't been on to long. Have taken approx. 2 months or so now.

Comment from: huskerkate, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 12

The medication was effective in lowering my cholesterol. However, IT WAS MORE EFFECTIVE IN GIVING ME PERMANENT PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY! It has been a couple of years since I took Zocor for about 3 mo. I then figured out what was causing the needle/pin/burning in my feet, mostly at night. I took myself off and saw an immediate decrease. My dr. did not really believe me, I could tell, and put me on lipitor. Almost immediately the above symptoms came screaming back. I stopped after three days. I no longer take any statin, but the neuropathy is still there, just less...but enough to ruin most nights sleep. Sometimes, I just have to get up and walk. I have tried every neuropathy foot cream, they are not much help. I could take another prescription: Lyrica and did for a short time. But, I am frightened of any drug now. I stopped it for fear of adding to problems. The only thing that helps much is 600 mg. of alpha lipoic acid. I am furious that doctors don't know and don't seem to think it matters because all have been sold a bill of goods re: cholesterol. Is it worth it? I don't think so. At 240 reading, who knows? Maybe that is normal for me. No heart attack history in my family. But now, I fear I will never have another decent night's sleep the rest of my life. I am a 64 year old female with no other significant health issues.

Related Reading: peripheral neuropathy | lipitor | lyrica

Comment from: Deeann, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 11

I thought I was losing my mind until I read other reviews about this medication. I am45 and mt muscles and joints hurt like I am in my nineties! I wonder if there is another medication that doesn't have these same side effects. I plan to talk to my Dr. and tell him that I cannot take this I feel horrible!

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 29

When I started Zocor, I had pains in my back/chest area. I told the doctor that I stopped the medication. He wanted to change me to something else, but I decided to give it anothwer try. It went ok for a few weeks, than I started waking up all night. Now, I have severe leg pains and will call the doctor today. I'm sure it's Zocor!

Comment from: The Big Fella, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been on Zocor for 4 years, lowered total cholesterol dramatically but at the same time I developed leg and back muscle cramping and pain, Doc took me off and in one week the cramping and muscle pain has nearly all disappeared...live tests stayed in the normal range the whole time!

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

After taking Zocor for six months, I had to stop using it because of difficulty sleeping and moderate depression.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: Ms. D, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 29

I have used Zocor for at least 8-10 years. The last two to three years have been filled with debilitating muscle pain, difficulty walking, driving and sleeping and depression. My Doctors suggested these difficulties were R/T my reaching the age of fifty, that they were a part of aging. It has been almost two months now since I asked my Doc to discontinue Zocor for a trial period. I have noticed that my legs and knees don't hurt like they used to . I am also sleeping better, not waking up with leg pain . I can drive home without having to stop and stretch my legs multiple times between work and home . I won't take Zocor again.

Related Reading: zocor | depression

Comment from: Im not crazy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 15

After reading the first 100 reviews, I am not even going to start this medication! If this med has that many negative reports, then you must be insane to even start it!!! Thanks for the heads up people. This stuff sounds like the kiss of death.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 07

I have been on SIMVASTATIN 40mg for about 1 1/2 years... brought my number down wonderful.. but lately have been having terrible leg pains, muscle weakness, not sleeping well up every hour, and have tried to lose weight but stay the same or gain more. feel like I am 90 and only am in early 60's .. some days can hardly move --have a hard time doing stairs-- can't stand very long. stopped taking on my own and after 2 days off I feel very good already and hopefully regain my health back and a good nights sleep without leg pains.. But will tell my doctor when I go back for physical in June about my side effects and hopefully I can keep my number down by diet and exercise. don't recommed taking this to any one..

Related Reading: simvastatin

Comment from: akboatman, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 05

I have experienced loss of leg muscle in both legs and can no longer walk without support. I believe it is due to the zocor (statin) drug. I have quit taking it.

Related Reading: zocor

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 29

My doctor put me on 5mg. tablet of simvastatin to see if it would improve my good cholesterol and lower my bad cholesterol. After just 2 weeks (my age 59 female) I felt like I was 100 years old! My knees were so terrible with pain that I would cry when I tried to walk. Could hardly get up and down out of a chair. I could not believe that the medication was doing this to my knees and hips. I went to the doctor yesterday and he ordered blood work immediately to see if any damage to liver and muscle tissue in just that amount of time. Have not heard the results yet. I stopped taking the medication yesterday after seeing the dr. and I am already starting to feel better......

Related Reading: simvastatin | cholesterol | liver