Zofran

Comment from: Just me, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 09

I have really bad allergies and in the mornings I'd be nauseated from my sinuses draining to my stomach while asleep. I'd get up the next morning gagging and retching, but not really vomit anything but stomach acid. My PCP gave me Phenergan to take at night. But it wore off and the next morning it's the same old thing. But I'd take it in the mornings with Benedryl and my sinuses would stop draining and not be nauseated. My Pain Mgmt Dr. gave my Zofran (generic)and said it's stronger then Phenergan and to let it dissolve under my tongue. It tasted awful and didn't want to dissolve. I have Spinal Stenosis in my neck and 3 Degenerated disk (2 are also herniated) and still have to laid down from my lower back hurting. If I closed my eyes, it felt like I was spinning. Not like when people drink and say the room is spinning. I felt like I was tumbling with spinning (like high divers in the Olympics spinning, twist and all, haha). I'd still feel nauseated but not as bad as first thing every morning. Then around noon or so, I'd get sick again and take another half. I usually then can't eat anything until after 5 or 6 O'clock in the evening. It's 1:30 p.m. and took a half one at noon. I still feel nauseated. I prefer the Phenergan and it never made me sleepy like it does most. Well, I'd been taking it for 5 years and the first couple of times it did but then I built a tolerance and the sleepiness stopped after a a week or so.

Related Reading: phenergan | zofran

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 12

I was given this during pregnancy for severe nausea and vomiting and it helped significantly and I was able to eat a little bit. I tried to take it as little as possible (usually just one pill on the days I needed it). Then years later I had to have a prescription for this because I suffered severe pain due to a medical condition that required me to take Vicodin when pain was so severe. The Vicodin would make me nauseous (as does any strong pain med for me) and this medicine helped that nausea to go away. So this does work like it's supposed to and it's a great medicine.

Related Reading: pregnancy | nausea and vomiting | vicodin

Comment from: retired RN, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 13

Used dragon's blood topically for shingles with the result of decreased pain and quick healing of the lesions. I would recommend dragon's blood drops to anyone!

Related Reading: shingles

Comment from: Litea, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 30

Zofran does just cause a headache it causes extreme migraines. The next day headache is worse than the nausea. If needed for chronic nausea or chemo etc may be ok. Otherwise think twice about taking. Drs WON'T listen about this. Phenegran still best especially when knocks you out until you feel better. Why won't Drs listen about this ? Are they getting paid to prescribe Zofran? It does make you feel better but we have people able to function on this drug going out in public spreading the stomach bug because of this drug!

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: vkbaker, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 12

I have been nauseated without vomiting from post-concussion syndrome, and this drug made such a difference. The nausea was greatly reduced but some side effects are also uncomfortable such as blurry vision, and stomach cramping pains. Also, the pharmacy never told me to let it dissolve on my tongue - I found out by reading about it after it didn't seem to be working. If you are miserable with nausea, it is worth the side effects to stop the nausea.

Related Reading: concussion

Comment from: Neal, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 19

Was given this drug in the ER d/t a drug reaction to Cymbalta. I am allergic to Compazine and this was considered a safe alternate It stopped my excessive nausea and vomiting. I had two rounds in the IV and was sent home with pills that worked very well.

Related Reading: cymbalta | compazine

Comment from: topaz, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 01

Any burn or burn like process in the skin, heals faster. It is used for wrinkles too. I do not take the product by mouth

Related Reading: wrinkles

Published: September 27

This medicine has allowed me to continue working during pregnancy. It has caused me excessive gas and stomach cramps. However, I can continue to work with those conditions vs. the constant vomitting and nauseaness.

Related Reading: pregnancy

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 28

Im a gastric bypass patient. Ever since surgery I always suffer of dumping syndrome and everything I eat makes me nausea...by the way I love my surgery will but that's the side effect I have to deal with. but anyway ZOFRAN HAS BEEN THE BEST MEDICATION INVENTED IN THE MARKET.....

Related Reading: zofran

Comment from: kari, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 18

i am on this for not being able to eat without severe nausea or vomiting. This works right away, and I noticed when the 8 hours are up, I get immediately sick. I am hopeful this will help while they figure out what the problem is

Comment from: ladydchange, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 03

This was the best medication for me. Suffered for months with nausea and vomiting. Test being done now to find out why. Problem is insurance has now limited the drug zofran to only 9 pills a month. My Doctor doesn't understand it either. I was looking for a reason on here. I had no side affects. I was finally nausea free. Now I am 9 out of 30 days.

Related Reading: nausea and vomiting | zofran

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 01

i have been in and out of the hospital for the same condition over and over. Dr.s kept saying I have this and that and finally I said can I just get something for the pain and nausea, and I'll be on my way!!! They gave me Zofran, and I felt awesome, Ten years of having all sorts of conditions and no answers, finally something to ease the nausea. If you take this drug when absolutely need to, it works seriously! Saves you money on gas to the ER, and your sanity, because the just don't know what you have..

Related Reading: zofran

Comment from: Lj , on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 19

WebMD saying that it's not safe for the skin is SO messed up! My mother burned her hand while camping last weekend, luckily I had a bottle that a friend who brought some home from Peru...we put it right on her bubbled up skin, and it was amazing how it brought the pain and swelling down so efficiently!! I'm stocking up!

Comment from: Texasgail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had a stubborn yeast infection in my toe that responded very, very well to Dragon's Blood. It also has some pain relieving properties when used topically. It was recommended by a friend that visits Panama often...I was skeptical but glad I tried it!

Related Reading: yeast infection

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 28

I have severe IBS and am nauseous at least once a day. Sometimes, the nausea gets so bad I feel like I am going to throw up. It has become debilitating. My doctor prescribed Zofran for those time and I'll tell you, this drug is a God send!! Within 20 minutes I feel totally fine and sometimes even hungry! A lot of people have trouble with the constipation that comes with it, but since I have IBS-D, it has actually regulated me. One Zofran will keep me "regular" all week, which has been an answer to my prayers.

Related Reading: constipation | ibs-d

Comment from: LA_Mommy_Of_3, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 18

Zofran became my best friend with my last pregnancy! I used the orally disintegrating tablet, it was so easy & worked fast. In my two pregnancies before this last one I used phenergan & it made me want to sleep all the time, but I continued to take it because I would rather put up with the tiredness than the vomitting. Although w/ the majority of pregnancies, nausea & vomitting ends after the 1st trimester, mine didn't! With all three of my pregnancies I was severely ill through out the entire nine months of each one. When my OB gave me Zofran with my last pregnancy I wanted to kiss her...LOL! It was such a god-send. I could actually function on a normal level without having to run the the restroom to vomit numerous times as day. I will admit the taste of it is pretty nasty but I just learned to hold my breath for those few seconds it took to melt & swallowed it down with some water, & that was it. I think the key to getting it to work the fastest in pregnancy so you don't vomit is to keep it next to your bed with a glass of water & take it as soon as you wake up in the morning. That worked the best for me, I would take it before I even got out of the bed because I knew, if I didn't, as soon as I would stand up I would have to make a run for the restroom to vomit.

Related Reading: phenergan

Skin Cancer Symptoms, Types, Images See Slideshow
Published: November 04

with my first child I was miserable my entire 1st trimester. Now with my second child, the nausea was just as bad. Once I began using Zofran (1/2 tablet) the nausea stopped completely. HOORAY.

Related Reading: zofran

Comment from: Dragonlover, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 15

After 3 weeks with an *ahem* 'GI problem' while travelling in South America, with no relief in sight, I took 15 drops in a cup of water. A day later I took another treatment, but I don't think it was necessary; the first treatment worked. Same problem three months later, but I took one treatment after only a few days. Problem solved.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 24

I take this whenever I have terrible nausea due to some GI problems I've been having over the last year (might I add, it works wonderfully with nausea caused by hangovers). I instantly start to feel better and within 20-30 minutes the nausea is gone. Half of the time I get a terrible headache, but other times I do not (can't really determine why). I definitely feel a little light headed within the first couple hours of medication, so I recommend you don't drive or have anything physically demanding to do while taking this. You will feel exhausted. But I rather feel sleepy than feel nauseous any day! I have the pill form and the only think I dislike is that when you're nauseous, the last thing you want to do is swallow something. So trying not to gag while taking it is a task, but within minutes you have relief. Strongly recommend this!

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: Aimee, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 29

I vomited every day of my pregnancy. At least with Zofran, i could wake up, throw up once, take the Zofran, and feel OK the rest of the day. When I was able to get some through insurance (which was very difficult since it was not an approved drug), It made working possible. I would have been hospitalized for dehydration and insufficient weight gain for the majority of my pregnancy if it weren't for Zofran.

Related Reading: pregnancy | dehydration

Comment from: lori, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 02

The best medication I've ever taken. It works wonderfully and I have no side effects other than the no nausea, which makes me very happy. I have been taking it for a year after I had serious intestinal and colon surgery. Some days I do onto need it and others I may need it up to three times a day, still learning which foods my intestines and tummy do not like

Comment from: AchyJoints, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 01

I get a monthly infusion of Orencia for psoriatic arthritis. I was experiencing some nausea with it so they gave me Zofran in my IV 30 mins before my orencia. It worked great for what it was meant to do...I had no nausea and was fully functioning, could drive myself to & from my appointments. But it has one huge side effect from me that is worse than just suffering the nausea. Severe constipation like nothing I have ever experienced before...so severe that I had to call my husband home and have him pick up an enema on the way. Thank God that it was a sunday and not a work day!!! You may think you will be fine with it but take extreme caution if you take this medicine and take a laxative of some kind. I eat 20-30 mg of fiber everyday. Either oatmeal or fiber bars for breakfast, veggies at lunch, apple after the gym, couple more veggies in the evening and whole grain everything. And I still had serious problems. I will never take this again if at all possible to avoid it.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 22

Currently 12 weeks pregnant and have been taking generic zofran as needed for a few weeks. It works very quickly and lasts. I find that I do not need to take it as often as is acceptable because it is still working up to a day after any given dose. My doc did not have me try any other medicines first because the others cause sleepiness and that just wouldnt work with my job. Even though it has been approved by my doctor, I am still very cautious about taking it and do not unless I feel like I cant continue my day without some assistance.

Related Reading: zofran

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 18

I have severe nausea with my third pregnancy without vomit. This drug eased my nausea but the severe constipation and stomach cramps were worse than the original nausea! I ended up with more nausea because my digestive system was so backed up! The label only indicated headaches so only through research did I discover the drug as the source of my problem.

Related Reading: pregnancy | constipation

Comment from: bonniebonds, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 30

If it were not for Zofran, I would be throwing up right now! My doctor had to ask the medical board of my insurance company to approve this for me! It is very expensive and the only thing that has allowed me to hold down any food! I am so thankful for this drug!

Medical Editor: Eni Williams, PharmD, PhD