Zonegran

Comment from: sunshine, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 26

I was prescribed Zonegran for severe migraines.We had tried Topamax but I had several side effects to that medication. It took a while for us to regulate the amount of zonegran needed.I was taking 400-500 mgs daily. I lost 40 lbs, was nauseated, had difficulty concentrating.It was worth it to have control over the dibilitating migraines.My quality of life improved. After taking this medication for 3 years, I stopped it on my own, thinking I could get by without it. (I had a hysterectomy and the headaches were less frequent.) I was sick of seeing doctors. This was a mistake. I now regret my decision.Gained the 40 lbs back.Would have liked to have kept the 40 lbs off. I can concentrate better and do not feel like I am in a "fog". However, I also feel the migraines returning and feel the shocking sensation shoot across my brain prior to a migraine. If zonegran works for you...do not discontinue it. I'm sorry I did.

Related Reading: zonegran | topamax

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 26

I took this drug for MANY years as migraine prevention. I started at 100mg when that was the only one available and slowly lowered my dosage until I finally was able to go off it. It worked wonders, I went from having 2-4 migraines a week to 1 a month and then none at all. I have stopped the zonegran for a few months now and I have not suffered a migraine!

Related Reading: prevention | zonegran

Comment from: sunset, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 27

This is the best Epileptic Drug to control the Complex Partial, Simple Partial, Electrographic, and Absence seizures. Absolutely no side effect at all. It is the main antiepileptic drug which normally is considered to be an adjunctive drug. As intractable (or refractory) as I am; having been on this drug now for nearly 3 years without any side effects at all - been doing one heck of a job when all the other antiepileptic drugs could not do or last due to allergic reactions or severe side effects. It is working great alongside with Klonopin (Clonazepam). I strongly recommend the brand name Zonegran over Zonisamide due to formulary differences.

Related Reading: klonopin | clonazepam | zonisamide

Comment from: ynicorn_99, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 25

i take this medication to stop my headaches that i was getting all the time. The small ones that turned into mirgraines.

Comment from: Mrs Yummy, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 12

I have been taking 300mg of Zonegran every night for the past 3 yrs for Migraines. This med has been very effective in decreasing the number of migraines I have. I don't really have any of the side effects that others have described. It's working very well for me. I see a headache specialist (neurologist). I also take Maxalt for break thru migraines. I did NOT lose any weight as some people have. Unfortunately :)

Related Reading: headache | maxalt

Comment from: beestill, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 23

This medication was prescribed for Migraine treatment . The two years I was taking it was a holy hell. I immediately began losing muscular strength and had tremors in my arms and legs. At 41 and very healthy that was weird. My memory and cognitive abilities dropped like a stone.( I was PHD in Math)They tested me for things like MS etc, and psych tests. Finally I got a good neurologist and after a month off of the drug I was thinking and spelling and reading, doing complex math at my pre zonegran state, without tremors etc.I'd rather have a migraine then lose my brain- this drug should be off the market.

Related Reading: tremors

Comment from: Bunnyblb, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 08

I take this for severe and chronic migraines and it has helped wonders in prevention. They need to make pills for higher dosage, though, taking 5 of these plus other stuff every day is a pain in itself!!

Comment from: accmst, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 05

I had dibilitating migraines that had me in the hospital. This medicine has made it so that I do not have any. I can't imagine not using it. It is also easy as I can take all 5 pills at one time rather than through out the day.

Comment from: Cowboy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 16

I have Severe Nerve Damage aqnd was taken off my Narcotis and put on this. I have EXTREMELY HIGH level pain in my lower spine, hips and down to my knees...... 30 minutes after taking this medicine I became EXTREMELY Hostile, ANGRY, AGGIATATED, Rapid Breathing. I only took 1 pill (25 mg.) Never took another one. This medicine is DANGEROUS!!! PLEASE be careful taking it!!!!!

Comment from: marlasgone, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 12

I have temporal lobe epilepsy which I had surgery to correct on 7/25/10. For several years I had intractible seizures, and my body just plain didn't seem to like anti-convulsants. I suffered with side effects, some life threatening (literally), until this was introduced. I must admit, even since the surgery I have had quite a few strong auras (I get complex partial seizures) but absolutely NO side effects. And in 8 months of being on this medication, I've only had my dosage increased once for seizure activity. That's incredible for me. It usually gets increased monthly. I will be taking this until I'm finally able to be weaned off of anti-convulsants altogether (here's hoping...:-)

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 01

I've been on this medication for only about a month for migraines. I have only had 2 small headaches a lot less than what I was usually getting before the meds. The only side effects I experience are problems w/coordination and problems w/my monthly cycle on going bleeding as well as tired and weakness. But for the most part, my migraines are somewhat under control.

Comment from: Local Librarian, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 19

Compared to the other drugs available that treat benign/essential tremors, this drug worked the best for me...no side effects at all. Or so I thought. After 6 months @ 300mg per day, I had lost nearly 25% of may hair. I just hope it grows back.

Related Reading: tremors

Comment from: shadow1926, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 25

I take it for sever cluster headaches. Several pills a day but works great. Better than the other 5 seizure meds I tried. And the side effects are minimal compared to how I feel. ED being my biggest complaint along with hyperactivity.

Related Reading: cluster headaches

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 13

This drug was perscribed to me for a purpose of nothing to do w/seizures. it was perscribed for helping me with mantal clarity and ability to be able to stay focused in thinking while going through depression from divorce - it worked great

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 21

Zonisimide was prescribed as an "off label"drug to help with anxiety/depression.Although initially it did seem to calm me a bit after a month or so I began to become very moody ans jittery,irritable.I believe it almost changed my personality and my husband would attest to this.It was frightening to be so changed by a drug. I am off of it about 5 weeks now and feel so much better. My psychiatrist says my experience was not typical but I just wanted to throw this out there. I was beginning to think I was crazy but it was the drug.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: cebellezza, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 01

I am now on my second round of taking Zonegran for Bipolar Disorder. First time maxed out at 600mg- worked GREAT but I lost too much weight after 18 months. Now, after app. 18 months, weight is being maintained with other meds. Great med for my mood stabilization (for the most part)!

Related Reading: zonegran | bipolar disorder

Comment from: Lullaby League, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 30

was prescribed this drug in July for fibro pain. I was given Lyrica and that did not do anything for me but put weight on me. I am really happy with this med so far but I wish I didn't have to take so much of it. 2 pills; three times a day. On top of all my other meds that is alot of pills to swallow. A secondary effect is my mood is greatly improved and I feel so much better. A down side is alot of intestinal gas that is painful and embarassing. I don't have to worry about getting seizures do I after taking this med? I sure hope not. Because so far, this has been a good med for me.

Related Reading: lyrica | intestinal gas

Comment from: ridd548, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 17

I suffer from severe migraines and having been taking Topomax. My doctor added Zonegran to take with the Topomaz and I have had fewer mirgraines than I have had in the last 3 years. They both work in conjuction with the other in keeping the headaches at bay. I would reccommend this to anyone.

Related Reading: zonegran

Comment from: gina, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 03

I have Fibro and have been perscribed Lyrica,Neurontin and now Zonegran. I couldn't take Lyrica because it caused me to be like a zombie, Neurontin was okay to start with then it caused me to go into a seizure.It scared me to death so i stopped that one. Then my Dr. gave me Zonegran. I already have violent and major mood swings,and this made it 100 times worse. That was my experience on these medications.

Related Reading: lyrica | neurontin | seizure

Comment from: akbl04, 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: July 26

my daughter has been taking ZONEGRAN since Oct of 2009 She would have several seizures a month and now she hasn't had one since May. She has complex partial seizures and several other medical problems and this medicine helps us not worry about that paticular issue as much. The only side affect we are having is weight loss.

Related Reading: zonegran

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 14

I use it in conjunction with other drugs to manage Bipolar disorder. I had a bout of kidney stones from its use, confirmed by the testing of the stone. Must drink plenty of fluids with this medication. Have not had trouble since fluid intake increased.

Related Reading: bipolar disorder | kidney stones

Comment from: SHAY, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 08

I HAVE BEEN ON ZONEGRAN FOR THE LAST 5MONTHS FOR MIGRAINES AND I THOUGHT IT WORKED FOR THE FIRST 2MONTS,BUT THE LAST 3 MONTHS IVE BEEN IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN!..EVERY OTHER DAY FOR 3WEEKS OUT OF THE MONTH,IM GOING TO BE SEEING A NEW MIGRAINE SPECIALIST AND HOPEFULLY I CAN BE PRESCRIBES SOMETHING THAT WOULD EASE MY PAIN, AND MY LIFE CAN RESUME TO "NORMAL":(

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 04

My seizures began immediately after an auto accident in Oct of 2002. I was first placed on Neurontin what further debilitated me and I even had grand mal on this drug. Lamictal caused Stevens-Johnsons syndrome. Keppra put me in a coma. Tegratol reduced my seizures and along with the addition of a seizure alert dog gave me some independence. After adding Zonegran, my seizures ceased. Beware of generic though, they contain lactose as an inert ingredient that is not generally made known to doctors and pharmacists. I am severly lactose intolerate and got very sick before we discovered the lactose hidden in the 4 100mg generic Zonegran I was taking daily. As soon as we switched to brand name and make sure it is always brand name ordered by doctor and approved by insurance I have been great since 2006.

Related Reading: lamictal | keppra | coma

Comment from: Alexis14, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 05

I've been taking this medication for almost 2 weeks now for intractable migraine. I have not had a migraine since beginning therapy with it. My neurologist did suggest to take it at bedtime because it would/might make me drowsy, but had the opposite effect so I now take it in the morning. It also has caused me to have dry mouth. Other than that, I'm very grateful to be free from the migraines which caused me so much pain and suffering.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: painfreeinky, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been completely satisfied with this med. I was suffering with severe pain in my face for years and lyrica only gave me 50 lbs of weight and felt high all the time. I take 300mg at bedtime and no side affects. Miracle drug for me and I'm down from 174 to 116lbs.

Related Reading: lyrica