Zosyn

Published: February 04

my husband used this in iv for mersa

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 09

A few days after surgery, an infection appeared in my leg below the incision. The doctors placed me on IV and gave this antibiotic. I knew immediately that that something was wrong. Within 30-45 seconds I could not breath! Always have them ready with benadryl or something to counter act this allergic reaction. I truly felt as if I was going to die.

Related Reading: benadryl

Comment from: Quutipp123, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a urinary tract infection that made its way into my right testicle and caused swelling and a tremendous amount of pain. After doctors tried some other antibiotics that did not work, they started me on Zosyn, and it began to bring my white blood count back to normal. After seven days of the drug every eight hours, I was back to normal and released from the hospital. I just wish there would have been a pill form available.

Related Reading: urinary tract infection

Comment from: vlansell, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 23

I was given this medication after hernia surgery. I had some fluid around the mesh. Within 36 hours I had a rash all over my body which I was then diagnosed with Steven's Jojnson Syndrome (skin fell off entire body). Along with that my kidneys shut down. Just before they were to put me on dialisys my kidneys began to improve. 6 weeks later I am still in the hospital waiting for skins issues to heal. Be careful with all medications please!

Related Reading: hernia | rash

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: December 31

This is my 5th antibiotic thismonth alone. It was nice to find something that worked quickly,minimal side effects (none for me actually) and I started to feel better after 3 IV doses of 3.375 grams. Thank you.

Comment from: gaitor, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 03

I am actually reviewing this for my elderly 92 year old aunt who was administered this after endoscopic common bile duct gallstone removal. Within couple of hours of Zosyn, she developed kidney failure, as well as thrombocytopenia, hypokalemia, and 4+ edema of her hands. She was even placed on hospice! (Her close friend and neighbor had also had this happen to her with Zosyn; kidney failure, which thankfully is slowly improving.) Aunt Edie was placed in a Rehab facility much too quickly, but immediately worsened and was readmitted to hospital, for another 10 days. Total inpatient time was 3 weeks!

Related Reading: kidney failure | thrombocytopenia | edema

Comment from: smweakley, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 17

I was put on this for a severe gallbladder infection. They did have to add another antibiotic after my surgery, and either it, or the combination of the 2, made my mouth taste horrible! I also got pretty bad diarrhea, but that is clearing now that I'm off of it. The bad taste in my mouth remains!

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: [email protected], Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 19

Constant mettallic taste and film in mouth,constant loose green stools,nausea,anorexia.

Related Reading: anorexia

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a severe allergic reaction to this medicine. It was administered by IV and I immediately started itching. Turned red and developed welts and hives. They had to increase my IV in order to flush my system. I was admitted with an inflamed gallbladder and acute pancreatitis.

Related Reading: hives | pancreatitis

Comment from: DM, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 26

I developed a very bad case of pancreatitis as a result of a severe gallstone attack, and they immediately started me on Zosyn in the ER. They kept me on the antibiotic for a couple of days and the pancreatitis cleared up nicely, allowing them to do the gallbladder removal surgery. The medicine had no side effects for me -- I didn't even know it was going into my IV. It worked for me with no complications, so I was pleased with it.

Related Reading: pancreatitis | zosyn

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 26

I did not have any side effects at all from two weeks in hosp. for zosyn iv. It worked for about 2 weeks after treatment, but infection came back as it does with antibiotic treatment.

Related Reading: zosyn

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 28

I developed lobar pneumonia very quickly after a week of flu (despite having the flu shot and the pneumonia shot!). I have asthma & Rheumatoid Arthritis so am at risk for complications anyway. I was admitted from the ER with fever 101, fatigue, cough. The first IV antibiotic (Rocephine & Zithromax) did nothing. The second day they discontinued the Rocephine and gave me the Zosyn IV, and I started to feel better within an hour. I was in the hospital for five days (over Christmas) and I'm grateful this drug worked so well with (for me) little side effect. It was given as an IV OVER FOUR HOURS (twice a day I think) to avoid damaging my kidneys. My kidney function tests afterwards were FINE - thankfully! I still needed a few more weeks of recovery using my nebulizer at home.

Related Reading: pneumonia | flu | asthma

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 19

Had IV of medicine.Side effects are bad.Never want to use this drug again.

Comment from: aprillee, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 13

was given this in hospital and feel this helped me very much getting better every day

Comment from: dm, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 20

This medication caused caused m kidneys to shut down. I also caused the same thing to another gentleman on my floor.

Comment from: Zarina, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 20

I had diverticulitis and and had a small rupture of the bowel. I was put on a clear liquid diet, IV fluids, three days of Zosyn IV and was very lucky to have the rupture heal with out surgery.

Related Reading: diverticulitis

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 19

Allergic reaction to this drug, almost died, ended up in ICU for 4 days. Heart rate dropped to below 30, BP was 60/30, loss of bowel control, throwing up, couldn't breath, luckily I was already in the hospital otherwise I would have been dead.

Comment from: NM, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

Was given half a dose and my teeth felt like they were going to fall out. Then the nurse came in to give me more told her what happened the first time and I was told she never heard of the Meds doing that before, so she gave me a full dose. I ended up having a severe allergic reaction and my face blew up like a balloon.

Comment from: oompa, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 23

good response in treating osteomyelitis

Related Reading: osteomyelitis

Fungal Skin Infections: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: bribri, 7-12 (Patient) Published: February 02

umm... im 12. im scared to death. i thought the only cure for appendicitis was surgery?? help help. ive never had anything so serious happen does it really hurt to have surgery?

Comment from: gail, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 19

Bladder infection, maybe kidney infection, loss of vision temporary in 1 eye, over rode 80 mg of Nexium. Thrush mouth. Print out of side effects comes NO where near the horrible side effects of this drug.

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 11

My Appendix ruptured and although too late for surgery, I arrived just in time at the ER before any sepsis; they put me on Zosyn every 6 hours for a total of 13 round the clock administrations. It probably saved my life.

Related Reading: ruptured | sepsis | zosyn

Comment from: anonymouse, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 20

I was given this in the hospital for suspected appendicitis because the hospital was too busy to send me into surgery. It seems to have cleared up the problem, oddly my symptoms disappeared. I had no side effects, which is great, because I react negatively to pretty much everything.

Comment from: nancy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 18

MY HUSBAND WAS IN REHAB FROM SURGERY GOT PNEUOMONIA WAS TREATED WITH THIS MEDICATION. IS SO MUCH BETTER IN A WEEK ONLY SIDE EFFECT IS THE DIARRHEA !!

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 01

I experienced the most horrible nasusea of my life. I even vomitted water. I refused to continue treatment against my doctors advice.