Zovirax

Comment from: mscindy6583, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: October 11

My 6 yr. old son has ADHD & is taking Concerta. He was having trouble settling down for bedtime & not sleeping well. His pedictrician told us to try melatonin, starting with 3mg. He has been taking 6mg about 30 mins. before his bedtime & he is asleep with in 45 mins. It has really helped him rest & he is in a better mood when he gets up.

Related Reading: concerta | melatonin

Comment from: albertw, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 29

I'd been using melatonin regularly for 4 years with great efficacy for the treatment of insomnia and anxiety. However, a year ago I began experiencing issues with peripheral vascular disease associated with varicose veins (ulcerations and subcutaneous bleeding on my calves, joint pain and stiffness, planar fasciitis and chronic leg cramps). Within weeks of treating my varicose veins with compression stockings and elevation, I noted increased postural tachycardia, which became debilitating after 3 months (could no longer work). While waiting to see my PCP, I came off the melatonin and both my tachycardia and varicose veins began improving significantly. Three weeks after discontinuing its use, the tachycardia disappeared and the varicose veins improved enough to allow me to go without compressions stockings for intervals of several hours. Have found nothing to explain the correlation but for a study in European Journal of Phramocology, vol 345, 1 March 1998 (NIH medical journal database), where the authors discuss the presence of MT1 & MT2 receptors (to which melatonin binds) in smooth muscle of vascular tissue and their role in vasodilation and constriction, respectively, as an explanation for melatonin’s systemic efficacy. While my overall condition improved when I discontinued use, I did experience a brief period of cognitive impairment and an uptick in mean blood pressure, the latter of which may require me to seek treatment should it persist. Finally have a follow-up with a cardiologist.

Comment from: on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 26

If you find the right one, yes, melatonin can be effective. Possibly even "addictive" (or cause a dependence); I'm tempted to take the "good ones" for afternoon naps! But the problem is, each brand and dose of melatonin (and possibly each "batch") is SO different. A few brands have worked consistently better than prescription sleep aids for me, but unfortunately MOST brands are either ineffective, or produce the opposite effect desired (eg, I needed a Xanax to counteract the nervous, gittery feelings, then I still couldn't sleep but at least I wasn't jittery.) One 3mg brand I like is pretty consistent for me (and $3/month! cheap!), but the same brand has a few other doses, plus a "dissolvable" 3mg dose with sweetening added, and of course all the bottles look the same, so I've accidentally bought the wrong ones (or if the right ones were sold out, tried another dose): ALL the other doses of the "good brand" didn't work. And the sugary one gave me the "nervousness" effect. After a few YEARS of trying melatonin for sleep (on and off), though I have a decent one now, I really think the FDA should be looking at what these vitamin companies put into these pills. At least there should be consistency from "batch to batch" (same brand/dose). So when you hit luck with a good one, it's very effective. But it really feels like a crapshoot when you open the next bottle. I'd love to put my brand/dose as 5-star satisfaction, but since this review is just "melatonin", I've got to consider the rest of my experiences with melatonin. Mostly positive, but even the few times I've gotten "the jitters" ...why package and sell a sleep aid that makes insomnia a nightmare? It makes it tempting to go back to prescription meds (where the FDA at least has a say).

Related Reading: xanax

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 13

My son is almost 4 and has not been diagnosed at this time with ADHD but is suspected of having it. As a trial use we have used 3mg Maletonin to help him settle down at night for bed. We've been using it for about 4 months now and he takes a full pill about 30-40 minutes before bed and it works wonders. He slows down, sits for a bit to have a small healthy snack then he's ready for bed. It has created a GREAT bedtime routine for him and definitely helps him slow down his hyperness. He actually forms an attention span during his slow down time that he has a chance to relax. We have not noticed any side affects at this time with him and he takes it voluntarily by mouth. Great product and we find it for just under $4 at WalMart for a 60 count bottle, with no additives.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 08

I have used melatonin for many years and it is safe, effective, has no side effects and non-addicting. I suggest using small dosages first (in the 1-3mg range).

Comment from: Supergranny, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 25

I started taking 5mg a few months ago. I only used it a couple of times a week at first and it worked fine. This last month however, I took it every night. During all this time I had diarrhea which is not normal for me at all. I didn't relate to the melatonin because I never heard of it causing diarrhea. At first the diarrhea was off and on, I guess because I only took the melatonin twice a week. But this past month taking it every night I got diarrhea so extreme after anything I ate. I'd take Imodium and then I wouldn't go for two days and when I went again, it was diarrhea. So I googled melatonin to see if anyone else was having this same experience and Lo and behold I saw I wasn't alone. So I stopped taking it and no more diarrhea! It did work good for sleep but obviously it did not agree with my digestion.

Related Reading: diarrhea | imodium

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 31

I've created a "best use" for me that I invented. More than one Milligram is too much and causes vivid dreams. The correct or natural dose is about 100 Micro-Grams in your blood stream. With normal 1 milligram pills, this is 1/10 of a pill, so I chew about 1/4 of a pill anytime I wake up at night without intending to swallow it. They aren't bitter at all. One small piece of pill and some deep breathing, and I'm usually back to sleep quickly. Chewing the 1/4 pill and holding it in my mouth gets the tiny dose in quickly.

Comment from: jennycatears, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 04

I have major insomnia and am very skeptical about taking any medications but my insomnia became so severe I had to do something. I love Melatonin. It's not a miracle worker but very effective. Helps me fall asleep easily without making me feel overpowered or weak, instead it only relaxes me, let's me rest my mind from all thoughts running through my head which keep me up all night worrying and such, I am still able to function normally if for some reason I choose to not go to bed right away (basically it relaxes me and doesn't just knock me out). I do sometimes wake up during the night (or really early in the morning) but at most 1 or 2 times. Melatonin is a great alternative to habit forming, prescription sleep aides that can cause lapses in memory, knock you out and cause other crazy side effects.

Related Reading: insomnia | melatonin

Comment from: PMurphy, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 18

I am a retired Pharmaceutical rep who sold Lunesta. I decided to go all natural with my health regimen and tried benedryl 25 mg without a lot of success for sleep. I tried Melatonin 5mg about 1/2 hour prior to climbing into bed. I was seriously doubtful due to my "pharma" background. I love it and would recommend it to anyone. Full night sleep and no drowsiness. My husband takes it now too.

Related Reading: lunesta

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 21

I've been taking melatonin 3 mg on and off for 5 years due to shift work. The medication wears off within 3 hours, and I'm wide awake in the middle of the night. Taking it daily caused headaches, stomach cramps, nausea,and depression.

Related Reading: melatonin | depression

Comment from: CircleInTheSquare, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 30

I have been taking melatonin for about 12 years for sleep problems - started at about 300 mcg ~1/2 hour before bedtime, increasing, when effectiveness lagged, gradually to 3 mg (i use the Natrol 3 mg tablet, which was not listed, so I used the Natrol 5 mg for this comment). Added 50 mg Bendryl (diphenhydramine)per night a few years ago and have not needed to change either dose since. I sleep through the night and wake up refreshed but sometimes a bit groggy. A good cardio workout takes care of that. Very important - try cutting down, or better, eliminating caffeine. I've tried a number of brands of melatonin, but many don't work. I've settled on Natrol, because it works. There are probably others that work also, but I haven't seen any reason to experiment unless/until the Natrol becomes unavailable or stops working. Remember that these are not manufactured as drugs and there is no required test for what's in the tablet. If the first brand doesn't work for you, try others until you find one. That doesn't mean you will necessarily succeed - melatonin doesn't work for everybody. Try it, though. Start with low doses and adjust as you see how it affects you. Good luck!

Related Reading: diphenhydramine

Comment from: Babyduck, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 14

I take melatonin an hour before bedtime and find it most effective. Feel rested in the morning. I may cut the dosage from 3mg to 1.5 because I'm slightly groggy when I wake up. I take blood pressure medication and wonder about interaction.

Comment from: suresuretaylor, 7-12 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 07

It helps me go to sleep and stay asleep. I don't have a diagnosed disorder but I would wake up at about 3am and stay awake for the rest of the day. And then repeat the expierence night after night. Pardon my language, but it sucked. Melatonin definetly helped though!

Comment from: Sad, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 14

Melatonin has the reverse effect on me. Instead of making me sleep it causes me to be so wired-up I am alert all night. I persisted with the treatment on my doctor's advice despite being desperately tired but even on the best of nights I could only manage about 30 minutes sleep. within a short time of taking the melatonin I had a headache which persisted all night. With all my heart I wished this treatment to have been successful because I have had insomnia all my life. A normal night of sleep for me is 3 hours and broken sleep at that.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: neverdunroamin, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 29

Dr Oz and my own doctor agree that you should only be taking 1 mg tops of this drug. Many of the forms it comes in is marketed at 3 MG. This is too much and can give you side effects, and the longer you take it at this high dose the faster it can build up in your liver. You will have to figure out how to divide it safely and uniformly. I have seen reviews on here that folks are taking 10 MG to 30 MG nightly!! Please folks this is not safe. not only can it do bad things to your liver, it can stop you from producing melatonin completely and than you are in trouble. when in doubt ask your doctor or health practitioner. Heck look up Dr. Oz!

Related Reading: liver | melatonin

Comment from: janis6263, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 05

I was waking up each night after 3 hours of sleep. A friend suggested taking melatonin. It took about a week before it began working well but now I get 7 hours of restful sleep. Occasionally, I will wake with a slight headache but it always passes within a half hour. GREAT stuff and inexpensive!!

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: bke, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 23

I was taking Melatonin to help me fall asleep and it does work well however I experienced night sweats and started waking in the morning with a headache so I have discontinued regular use and only use it occasionally.

Related Reading: melatonin | night sweats

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 08

Have been taking Melatonin for 4 months. Helps tremendously. I hurt my neck and back and started having sleeping problems from the pain. I take 1/2 of a 3 mg pill. I fall asleep usually within an hour and can sleep anywhere from 7-9 hours. Only side effect I noticed for me is twice now I've had really bad night sweats. And I remember every single dream I have every night. But they are not bad dreams. It's kind of fun to remember them so vividly.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had trouble staying asleep for about 25 years. I have been taking Melatonin for almost ten years. I switched a couple years ago to the time release version because I was waking up after 5-6 hours. This is a God send for those that can't stay asleep and can't handle the Ambien hangover. I've been sleeping great since I started, but I know that stress, tension and anxiety people still have some issues.

Related Reading: ambien | stress | anxiety

Comment from: tree121481, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 11

My 9 year old son has ADHD and takes concerta, for the longest time I could not get him to sleep at night and then he would give me trouble getting up for school I started to give him the melatonin and now he sleeps better than ever and wakes up in a good mood this is a great sleep aid

Related Reading: concerta

Comment from: LotusDancer, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 15

I am old (71) and also have ADD, both leading to sleep onset disorder. I take Melatonin about 20 minutes before retiring and I find I slowly grow sleepy, sleep soundly for about 6 hours, then less soundly until I get up. I feel refreshed and alert when starting my morning. I have also noticed an improvement in healing time as well as overnight clearing of things like small cysts, sores, even bruises.

Related Reading: bruises

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 26

the best sleep I've ever had, and my migraines are gone. this has been the best over the counter medication I have ever use. I love melatonin and only take 2 milligrams per night for the last 2 years.

Comment from: ar93cobra, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 22

I have had problems falling to sleep for years. I have taken RX - Ambien and Lunesta off and on for 3-4 years. While these brands work great for falling asleep, they are habit forming. In between prescription meds, I started taking Melatonin. It's not Ambien (Knocks me out in 10 min) but it does put me in a relaxing state and helps me fall asleep. I have absolutely no side effects in the morning. Due to its mild and subtle nature, I have decided to use it full time instead of just in between RX.

Related Reading: ambien | lunesta | melatonin

Comment from: JMA, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 17

I was having trouble sleeping after a schedule change (sleeping days for 10 years to sleeping nights). I started taking a 1mg melatonin pill a half hour before bed and it has worked wonders! I get drowsy and sleep all night. The only side effect I've noticed is I get occassional night sweats, which I never really experienced before I started taking these pills.

Related Reading: melatonin | night sweats

Comment from: xraylady, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 22

I am an elderly female with recent life changes (widowhood and loss of a precious daughter) resulting in my being unable to get to sleep at night even tho I kept busy during the day. I started taking 3mg oral melatonin with 25mg Theanine about an hour before lying down to sleep. I am asleep within 30 min. Taking this melatonin has been a lifesaver for me.

Medical Editor: Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD