Zovirax Ointment

Comment from: Katrina, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 28

This is a little miracle and if you have HSV I or II, you should always have zovirax on hand. It can ward off an outbreak if you apply it as sOOn as you feel the telltale tingling of an outbreak. And be sure to take the Valtrex, too, again as sOOn as you think you may be geting outbreak! It works most of the time for me to keep outbreaks away, or at the least, makes them less severe and heal up at least by 50% sooner. It's worth every penny and then some, at least to me. And get enough sleep; keep your stress levels low as u can. This helps, too.

Related Reading: zovirax | valtrex | stress

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 03

Since Herpes is a virus, otc rememdies aren't going to work since antiviral otc drugs are either uncommon or completely non-existant. If this was a bacterial infection, that would be a completely different situation. Acyclovir, the actual drug name for Zovirax, has worked well for me over at least 10-15 years. the sooner I apply it, the less the deep the cold sore penetrates and the faster the total outbreak is controlled and gone; as simple as that. Really bad outbreaks may take 2-3 days to be controlled, but once again, their depth is greatly reduced helping and quickening the whole healing process.

Related Reading: acyclovir | zovirax

Published: November 29

I couldn't believe how fast this cream works! It is definitely worth the money. Don't waste your time on over the counter medicines. After trying this, I'm hooked.

Comment from: MGB, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 18

Fast and effective, this drug has shortened the healing time and lessened the pain. It absorbs quickly into the skin and appears to stay in place and won't easily rub off. It even has an acceptable taste! It is a little expensive, even with insurance, but worth it. On the down side, I have noticed a white, scaly patch over the area of treatment appearing within a week of healing and stubbornly lasting for 10 to 14 days. It is easily remedied, however, with any popular lip balm applied frequently.

Comment from: ostamos, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 17

I get fever blisters from stress sunburn because of menstruation sometimes and mostly when I eat nuts and greek sesame seed honey candy. Some beleive that if your l-arginine level gets higher than L-lysine level that will make you break out. I beleive this asI broke after I ate walnuts or almonds, pistacios, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. After I break out I would look on this Herpes Nutrition website and the item would show high l-arginine. I get fever blisters all over my lips not usually at the same time. The ones I have used the ointment on are the right and left bow of my lips. Not only does the ointment help with the healing time. I also notice that future breakouts at the bow of my lips is a lot milder than the ones that didn't come out as often and have not treated as often and repeatedly as these. Daily suppression with Valtrex works great for me if you can afford it.

Related Reading: fever | sunburn | menstruation

Comment from: HVinKC, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 12

I was shocked at how effective the drug was. I felt an outbreak coming on Wednesday and as soon as I got home I applied the Zovirax, and prayed! My outbreaks are usually two weeks, unsightly and extremely painful. Immediate relief, no pain, no redness. It's Friday, and gone! I'll never use over the counter again.

Comment from: Nicole, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 15

USE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU ARE SICK OF HIDING YOUR LIPS AND STAYING HOME TO AVIOD ALL CONTACT WITH OTHER PEOPLE DURING OUT BREAKS! I use this product as soon as I feel or see a little bump on my lips. Since the doctor has given this to me my cold cores have decreased drastically! If my lips are dry and cracking I rub some one to prevent a cold sore out break which usually works! Riding horses and living in Hawaii where there is usually always sun I make sure I ware a hat to protect my lips which helps also. Licking your lips I though was helpful to keep it from drying out but I found that was what was making it WORSE!! Don’t do that! If you have cold sore I strongly strongly recommend this product you! Trust me it’s been a life saver! Since using it I rarely get an out break, I went from having a cold sore once a month or at least once every two months in the past since using Zovirax from December of 2006 I can’t remember the last real out break where it formed a sore and cracked! USE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU ARE SICK OF HIDING YOUR LIPS AND STAYING HOME TO AVIOD ALL CONTACT WITH OTHER PEOPLE!

Comment from: islander45, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 02

I used to get really horrible cold sores on my lips. When I started using Zovirax, it decreased the size of my cold sores dramatically and healed them within 4 days. After using Zovirax, my cold sores were barely even noticeable to the naked eye. It's most effective if you use it right when you feel a sore coming on. I will never go back to over the counter remedies.

Related Reading: cold sores | zovirax

Published: February 17

Helped clear up cold sore faster than usual. Easy to use. Expensive.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 28

it made my cold sores worse and more painful

Comment from: tweetery45, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 09

This is the second time I have tried this and it has does nothing for the cold sore. I applied at the first tingle every three hours and the cold sore is the size of a nickel, and lasted over 2 weeks, with very bad scaring.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 12

I got a fever blister from sitting out in the sun and wind for four days, the blisters hurt, burned and itched severely. As soon as I applied the ointment I could feel it working. The next morning the blisters had started to go away.

Related Reading: fever

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 28

It was prescribed for Shingles. The creme, along with the oral medication, did the trick.

Related Reading: shingles

Comment from: (Patient) Published: August 13

how on earth has this ointment accrued so many stars, must be the pharmaceutical company rigging the votes. Obviously it doesn't work

Comment from: mychelle, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 13

i used to get an outbreak once or twice a year, my Dr. wrote me a script for this med with 12 refills years ago, usually it works b 4 the sore blisters, but this is my 2nd outbreak in 2 months,last blister i got to as soon as i felt it b 4 it was even visible with no effectiveness! this morning i woke up with one tiny red bump i started applying the zostrix immediately been applying every 2-3 hours all day! by tonight i have not 1 but 3! 3 giant sores that are starting to ooze! it's only been 12 hors and my lip is an ugly mess! just like last time very ineffective! i already know i'm going to have 3 ugly oozing messes with horrible timing! life changing event planned.

Comment from: sbrOHio, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 18

Use on lips as needed to prevent outbreaks. Not a magic bullet, no matter how early I use it (at first sign of itching or tingling). I've tried everything, everything that is out there for cold sores. This works better than the best OTC stuff, but I wish it were more speedy with healing.

Comment from: Hemad, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 07

So I've been getting cold sores for years. This is the first time I decided to use something doctor prescribed. I decided to do this because within a 2 week period I had 3 that had came up. Nothing too outrageous and also not very noticeable. But then a 4th one came up and I said enough is enough. I got a script for it and instantly started taking it. As soon as the fourth one was almost clear I got attacked again. This time at FULL FORCE. I now have one that is covering at least half of my top lip.it even feels as if its trying to move to the inside of my lip. Not to mention a separate one in the corner. Let me mention this. I'M TAKING THE CREAM AND THE PILLS. This has been a record breaking occurrence and I wouldn't wish this on anybody. Now just maybe the drug is bring all of it out right now cause its a first time and its flushing it out. But according to other reviews and what I've read its not supposed to do that. Its easy to use but at this moment it is not effective and either something is tremendously wrong with me or this drug to have caused an outbreak this large. IBut as far as IM concerned this is not doing what I hoped it would. I'm not trying to purposefully down play it, IM just giving my experience. I originally requested valtrex but they gave me zovirax because it was cheaper.

Related Reading: valtrex | zovirax

12 Preventable STDs: Pictures, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 08

i have been getting cold sores for years and back last december i had a really bad one that also made me really sick. i started using this ointment and even though it took almost 3 weeks for it to go away i was cold sore free for almost 7 months till now i have another one. i started putting some on and even though this is another big one like back in december this ointment has help it is not has big and all u can really tell is that i have one is that my upper lip is swollen and red in the center other than that this really does help

Related Reading: cold sores

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 20

A very expensive perscription that doesn't work. And when I started using the tube, I had to squeeze it at least an inch before any medication came out. I'm not sure if the tube wasn't completely filled or that they put it in a larger tube to make you think you are getting more.

Comment from: Layla, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 23

My boyfriend had a red painful sore on his nose and went to the DR because it was soemthing different than a pimple. He was prescribed Zovirax. He put the cream on and in less than two full days, the sore was already healed. Very effective and to the point!

Related Reading: zovirax

Comment from: JJEJ, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 24

The first time I used this, it worked great! smaller blisters and went away quickly. But each time I used it afterward, it's been completely ineffective. Gave some to my sister to try with exact same results.

Comment from: WorkorNot, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: October 26

When I get Cold Sores I do as the Dr. Say and applies the drugs as soon as I feel it happening but the bump last the same amount of time!!!! So annoying!!!!

Related Reading: cold sores

Comment from: abharrison, 3-6 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 19

My daughter has a condition called herpatic witlow.And this medicines has worked wounders for us as long as I apply it as soon as I see a sore coming the medicine stops it from spreading and clears it up in about three days.

Comment from: NM, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 19

Been using it for years. Seems to do the trick in stopping or reducing symptoms. Becomes less effective with time so need a new tube if old one been open for a while.

Comment from: CH, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 29

Treats the cold sore fast. Much better than otc cold sore ointments.