Brand Names: Seysara
Generic Name: sarecycline
- What is sarecycline (Seysara)?
- What are the possible side effects of sarecycline (Seysara)?
- What is the most important information I should know about sarecycline (Seysara)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking sarecycline (Seysara)?
- How should I take sarecycline (Seysara)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Seysara)?
- What happens if I overdose (Seysara)?
- What should I avoid while taking sarecycline (Seysara)?
- What other drugs will affect sarecycline (Seysara)?
- Where can I get more information (Seysara)?
What is sarecycline (Seysara)?
Sarecycline may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of sarecycline (Seysara)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
- a spinning sensation; or
- increased pressure inside the skull--severe headaches, ringing in your ears, vision problems, pain behind your eyes.
Common side effects may include nausea.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the most important information I should know about sarecycline (Seysara)?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking sarecycline (Seysara)?
You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to sarecycline or similar antibiotics such as demeclocycline, doxycycline, minocycline, tetracycline, or tigecycline.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- diarrhea or watery stools;
- vision problems; or
- increased pressure inside your skull.
Taking sarecycline during pregnancy may affect tooth and bone development in the unborn baby. Taking this medicine during the last half of pregnancy can cause permanent tooth discoloration later in the baby's life. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you become pregnant.
Sarecycline can pass into breast milk and may affect bone and tooth development in a nursing infant. Do not breast-feed while you are taking sarecycline.
Sarecycline is not approved for use by anyone younger than 9 years old. This medicine can cause permanent yellowing or graying of the teeth in children.
How should I take sarecycline (Seysara)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
You may take sarecycline with or without food.
To help prevent ulcers or irritation in your esophagus, take this medicine with a full glass of water
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time, even if your symptoms quickly improve. Skipping doses can increase your risk of infection that is resistant to medication. Sarecycline will not treat a viral infection such as the flu or a common cold.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose (Seysara)?
Take the medicine as soon as you can, but skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take two doses at one time.
What happens if I overdose (Seysara)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking sarecycline (Seysara)?
Avoid driving or hazardous activity until you know how this medicine will affect you. Your reactions could be impaired.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or bloody, call your doctor before using anti-diarrhea medicine.
Sarecycline could make you sunburn more easily. Avoid sunlight or tanning beds. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
What other drugs will affect sarecycline (Seysara)?
Tell your doctor about all your other medicines, especially:
- aluminum, calcium, iron, or magnesium (contained in products such as antacids, laxatives, multivitamins, and mineral supplements);
- a penicillin antibiotic--amoxicillin, ampicillin, ticarcillin, Amoxil, Augmentin, Timentin, and others;
- a blood thinner--warfarin, Coumadin, Jantoven; or
- other acne medication--acitretin, isotretinoin.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may affect sarecycline, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible drug interactions are listed here.
Where can I get more information (Seysara)?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about sarecycline.
Copyright 1996-2019 Cerner Multum, Inc.