Shigella Infection (cont.)
In this Article
- Fungal Infections Slideshow: Fungus Among Us
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Slideshow Pictures
What are the symptoms of Shigella?
Symptoms of shigellosis typically start 1-2 days after exposure and include:
- Diarrhea (sometimes bloody)
- Abdominal pain
- Tenesmus (a painful sensation of needing to pass stools even when bowels are empty)
How long after infection do symptoms appear?
Symptoms of shigellosis generally begin 1 to 2 days after becoming infected with the bacteria.
How long will symptoms last?
In persons with healthy immune systems, symptoms usually last about 5 to 7 days. Persons with diarrhea usually recover completely, although it may be several months before their bowel habits are entirely normal. Once someone has had shigellosis, they are not likely to get infected with that specific type again for at least several years. However, they can still get infected with other types of Shigella.
Find out what women really need.