What are the different types of sinus infection medicines?
Many medications are used to treat symptoms of sinus infections, including
- corticosteroids such as Flonase and Dymista (fluticasone propionate),
- Nasonex (mometasone furoate),
- hydrocortisone, Nasacort AQ (triamcinolone),
- Kenalog-40 (triamcinolone), and
- flunisolide; antihistamines including
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine),
- Zyrtec and Zyrtec-D (cetirizine),
- Claritin and Claritin D (loratadine),
- Clarinex (desloratadine),
- Allegra and Allegra-D (fexofenadine),
- Xyzal (levocetirizine),
- Cyproheptadine (cyproheptadine hydrochloride),
- Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine maleate),
- Astelin and Astepro (azelastine hydrochloride); and
- decongestants such as pseudoephedrine (Sudafed).
Cough suppressants such as Benylin or Delsym (dextromethorphan) may also be prescribed. In some cases, antibiotics will be prescribed such as
- Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate),
- Zithromax (azithromycin),
- Levaquin (levofloxacin),
- Bactrim or Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole), and
- Amoxil (amoxicillin).
What are common side effects of sinus infection medications?
Side effects for sinus infection medications depend on the medication being used.
- Side effects of corticosteroids include
- Side effects of some antihistamines may include
- heart palpitations,
- difficulty urinating,
- dry mouth, and
- Side effects of decongestants include
- nervousness, and irritability, trouble with urination, and
- a decreased appetite.
- Side effects of cough suppressants include
- nausea, or
- Side effects of antibiotics include
- hives, or
Where can people find more information about the side effects of OTC and prescription sinus infection and sinusitis drugs?
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Always consult your doctor if you are having unexplained symptoms or questions related to your medications. For more information about the side effects of sinus infection medications, search for the drug and click on the drug's "Side Effects Center" on the page's top-left side.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Michael Manning, M.D.
American Board of Allergy & Immunology
FDA Prescribing Information.
UpToDate.com. Patient information: Acute sinusitis (sinus infection) (Beyond the Basics).