HOW DO THYROID PRODUCTS WORK?
Thyroid products are synthetically produced thyroid hormones used to treat various stages of hypothyroidism and myxedema. The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped organ located at the base of the neck, which uptakes dietary iodine to produce thyroid hormones, triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4).
- Increase metabolic rate
- Increase utilization and mobilization of glycogen stores
- Promote gluconeogenesis
- Involved in growth development
- Stimulate protein synthesis
- Regulate the rate of burning of the calories
- Affect weight loss or weight gain
- Regulate heartbeats
- Regulate body temperature
- Stimulate gastric movements and promote the movement of food
- Cause contraction of muscles
- Maintain the rate of cell turnover
Hypothyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones. Hypothyroidism leads to several metabolic disorders, weight gain, infertility, bone disorders, and heart problems.
Synthetically produced T3 and T4 hormones have the same actions as natural thyroid hormones. They promote all metabolic activities and retain normal body functions.
HOW ARE THYROID PRODUCTS USED?
WHAT ARE SIDE EFFECTS OF THYROID PRODUCTS?
Side effects of thyroid products may include:
- Arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats)
- Muscle weakness
- Decreased bone density
- Heat intolerance
- Increased appetite
- Weight loss
- Menstrual cycle changes
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Chest pain
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Cardiopulmonary arrest
- Congestive heart failure (pumping power of the heart muscles decreases, so the heart cannot pump enough blood to the body)
- Phlebitis (inflammation of a vein)
- Anaphylaxis (life-threatening allergic reactions)
The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible side effects, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these drugs do not cause any harm when you take them along with other medicines. Never stop taking your medication and never change your dose or frequency without consulting your doctor.
WHAT ARE NAMES OF THYROID PRODUCTS?
Generic and brand names of thyroid products include: