Brand Names: Vizimpro
Generic Name: dacomitinib
- What is dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
- What are the possible side effects of dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
- How should I take dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Vizimpro)?
- What happens if I overdose (Vizimpro)?
- What should I avoid while taking dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
- What other drugs will affect dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
- Where can I get more information (Vizimpro)?
What is dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
Dacomitinib is used to treat non-small cell lung cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
Dacomitinib is given only if your tumor has a specific genetic marker (an abnormal "EGFR" gene).
Dacomitinib may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- new or worsening breathing problems (chest pain, wheezing, cough, feeling short of breath);
- severe or ongoing diarrhea;
- swelling, redness, or infection under or around your fingernails or toenails; or
- a severe skin reaction--dry skin, redness, rash, acne, itching, peeling or blistering.
Your cancer treatments may be delayed or permanently discontinued if you have certain side effects.
Common side effects may include:
- diarrhea, loss of appetite;
- weight loss;
- rash, itching, dry skin;
- eye redness, dryness, or itching;
- hair loss;
- problems with your nails;
- mouth sores, mouth pain; or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the most important information I should know about dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
You may need to have a negative pregnancy test before starting this treatment.
Do not use dacomitinib if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby. Use effective birth control to prevent pregnancy while you are using this medicine and for at least 17 days after your last dose.
Do not breast-feed while using this medicine, and for at least 17 days after your last dose.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- frequent diarrhea; or
- breathing problems (other than lung cancer).
How should I take dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
Your doctor will perform a special test to make sure you have the correct tumor type to be treated with dacomitinib.
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Take the medicine at the same time each day, with or without food.
If you vomit shortly after taking dacomitinib, do not take another dose. Wait until your next scheduled dose time to take the medicine again.
Drink plenty of liquids while you are taking dacomitinib.
Dacomitinib can cause severe diarrhea, which can be life-threatening if it leads to dehydration or infection.
If you have diarrhea while taking dacomitinib: Call your doctor right away. You may need to start taking anti-diarrhea medicine such as loperamide (Imodium) to quickly treat diarrhea.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose (Vizimpro)?
Skip the missed dose and use your next dose at the regular time. Do not take two doses at one time.
What happens if I overdose (Vizimpro)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
Dacomitinib can cause skin reactions. Use a skin moisturizer and avoid sunlight or tanning beds. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
What other drugs will affect dacomitinib (Vizimpro)?
Some medicines can make dacomitinib much less effective when taken at the same time. If you take any of the following medicines, take your dacomitinib dose 6 hours before or 10 hours after you take the other medicine:
Other drugs may affect dacomitinib, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell your doctor about all your current medicines and any medicine you start or stop using.
Where can I get more information (Vizimpro)?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about dacomitinib.
Copyright 1996-2019 Cerner Multum, Inc.