Warts (Common Warts)
Table of Contents
- Wart facts
- What are warts? What causes warts? Are warts contagious?
- What are the symptoms and signs of the different types of warts?
- What is the treatment for warts? Are there home remedies for warts?
- Is using over-the-counter wart treatments safe?
- Are wart treatments effective?
- What if wart removal treatments fail?
- Warts are small, self-limited benign tumors caused by one of over 100 types of human papillomaviruses (HPV).
- The clinical appearance of warts include common warts, flat warts, plantar warts, periungual warts, filiform warts, and genital warts.
- Warts typically disappear spontaneously, but it may take years.
- Warts respond variably to a variety of treatment measures.
- Over-the-counter treatments for warts include salicylic acid preparations and freezing kits.
- Warts may recur following treatment.
1/7Reviewed on 7/24/2017