What Conditions Does an ENT Treat?

Reviewed on 5/13/2021
ENT doctor
An ENT doctor specializes in the treatment of your ears, nose and throat

An ENT doctor, also called an otolaryngologist, is trained in the care and treatment of a wide range of conditions that affect the areas in and around your ears, nose and throat, as well as head and neck problems. Common conditions they treat may include:

An ENT physician may specialize in the following areas:

Can an ENT doctor perform surgery?

An ENT doctor can perform the following surgeries:

When should I see an ENT doctor?

You should see an ENT doctor if you have the following symptoms:

  • Persistent hearing loss: While temporary hearing loss can happen occasionally, it may be a sign of permanent ear damage if the problem persists for more than a week or two.
  • Ringing in the ears: If you are experiencing a constant ringing sensation in your ears, you may have tinnitus. In some cases, tinnitus is an early symptom of hearing loss. However, it can also be a sign of an ear infection or another hearing problem. 
  • Sinusoidal pain: Sinus pain includes pain in the face, ear, upper teeth region and nose. Your face may be sore and swollen in these areas, and if the inflammation lasts for several days, it could indicate a serious problem.
  • Persistent nasal congestion: A clogged nose or symptoms that make breathing difficult could be caused by airborne allergies, infections or a deviated septum. If symptoms are persistent, your ENT doctor may be able to help you resolve the underlying issue.
  • Sore throat: While sore throats are common, if yours is so severe that you find it extremely difficult to drink water or the pain has lasted longer than a week, you may need to undergo an examination to rule out something serious like tonsillitis or GERD.


What percentage of the human body is water? See Answer

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors

WebMD. What Is an Otolaryngologist? https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ear-infection/otolaryngologist-ear-throat

University of Utah Health. Ear, Nose, & Throat (ENT) Doctor or Primary Care Physician: When to See an ENT. https://healthcare.utah.edu/ent/ent-or-primary-care-doctor.php

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors