The online medium is full of home remedies to speed up eyelash growth. Popular home remedies for lash growth include olive oil, castor oil, and coconut oil amongst many others. There are also companies manufacturing biotin products claiming them to regrow your eyelashes.
Applying oils like coconut oil to the eyelashes can make them look longer and thicker. However, if it can regrow the lost eyelashes remains unproven. Some people have reported their eyelashes getting thicker with the application of castor oil. You can try the oils but if you develop an allergy near your eye, discontinue them. It should be noted that no scientific evidence exists for any of the recommended oils or any other such home remedies supporting their role in the growth of eyelashes.
Also, only one medication, Latisse (bimatoprost), has been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA) to enhance eyelash growth. It is a topical treatment that can even lengthen and darken your lashes. Ask your doctor if you can use any of the home remedies or should take Latisse.
Can you apply over the counter products claimed for growing the eyelashes?
For decades, mascara has been used to lengthen, thicken, and darken eyelashes. Mascaras have waxes, pigments, resins, as well as talc in them. Liquid mascara enhances the eyelashes by forming a layer on the eyelashes after it dries up. Over the counter cosmetic products are advertised to increase the fullness, length, and darkness of eyelashes. These products contain various ingredients, such as proprietary peptides, natural extracts, vitamins, and prostaglandin analogs. Some of the products that contain possible prostaglandin analogs include:
- MD Lash Factor
- Lashes to Die For
As cosmetics, their safety has not been fully studied. Most are applied to the skin of the upper-eyelid margin but how they may affect eyelash growth remains unproven. There is also a risk of their contamination with bacteria and fungus. If you are concerned and especially if you suffer from any eye problem, it is advisable to consult your doctor and then apply them for the long-term.
What can you do to take care of your eyelashes?
You can take certain precautions to preserve your eyelashes. Depending on your lifestyle, you can:
- Change your mascara: You may be allergic to your mascara and that may be the reason for the thinning or loss of eyelashes. Change the brand and see if you notice any change.
- Get a new bottle of mascara regularly: Tossing your old mascara also helps keep lashes and eyes healthy. Replace it with a new tube every 3-6 months. This will prevent your eyes and lashes from getting infected with the bacteria- or virus-contaminated mascara.
- Take off your mascara before going to sleep: Sleeping with the mascara can result in breakage of the eyelashes due to their rubbing against the pillow. Hence, do not forget to remove it before dozing off at night.
- Be gentle in removing eye makeup: Rubbing the eyelashes harshly while removing the mascara on them can result in their uprooting.
- Use lash curler carefully: When using a lash curler, do not pull on your eyelids.
- Rub your eyes gently: Whenever you feel like rubbing your eyes due to itching, do it gently. Harsh rubbing can cause tugging of the eyelashes and result in accidental removal of the eyelash.
If you are losing your eyelashes despite taking the above steps, schedule an appointment with a skin specialist or dermatologist. The loss of eyelashes may be due to some medical conditions.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Goins L. 6 Steps to Better Eyelashes. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/eyelash-length-growth-extensions