The seven health benefits of nopal cactus are:
- Antiviral: Nopal cactus has antiviral properties, especially against herpes simplex virus (HSV), respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). It can also help prevent frequent viral infections.
- Protects nerve cells: Nopal cactus can protect against nerve damage, hence preventing sensory loss or loss of function associated with nerve damage.
- Rich in antioxidants: Antioxidants protect the body cells from damage caused by free radicals. Hence, it can slow the process of aging and protect the body.
- Regulation blood sugar levels: Nopal cactus can help reduce and regulate blood sugar levels. Patients are advised to continue taking their diabetes medication prescribed by the doctor alongside. They should inform the doctor if they are taking nopal cactus along with diabetes medication. This would help the doctor adjust the dose of the medication accordingly.
- Treatment of enlarged prostate: An enlarged prostate is a common problem in men, resulting in a need to urinate more frequently and recurrent urinary tract infections. Nopal cactus may help treat enlarged prostates, including prostate cancer.
- Cholesterol reduction: Nopal cactus may be able to lower cholesterol levels. It is especially effective in patients with hereditary high cholesterol.
- Prevent hangovers: If taken just before drinking alcohol, nopal cactus can help prevent getting a hangover.
How is nopal cactus consumed?
The health benefits of nopal cactus can be obtained in many different ways. The plant may just be eaten directly, and this provides the benefits. It may also be added to other foods. Several recipes that include nopal cactus as an ingredient. Nopal cactus supplements are also available in the form of capsules, powder, and extract and even in the liquid form.
What is the recommended dosage of nopal cactus?
What are the side effects of nopal cactus?
Nopal cactus is considered the safest when eaten as a food instead of supplements. Although supplements are considered safe, more evidence is needed to prove the same.
Some potential side effects of nopal cactus supplements include:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors