What is rose water good for?
Rose water is flavored water that is of medicinal, cultural and religious importance in various places all around the world. It is made by steeping rose petals in water. It is used widely as an ingredient in perfume and cosmetics and a flavoring agent in foods due to its fragrance.
Rose water offers various cosmetic and health benefits because of the presence of phenolic compounds, volatile oils and aromatic compounds in it. It seems to be good for
- Irritated and inflamed skin: Inflamed and irritated skin conditions such as eczema and rosacea have been observed to benefit from the local application of rose water. The anti-inflammatory compounds in rose water such as polyphenols may play a role.
- Acne: Rose water applied to redfish acne lesions can help soothe the condition and breakouts. This may be due to the antibacterial action of volatile compounds in rose water. Rose water also acts as a good toner by tightening your pores if you have oily skin and face acne problems.
- Anti-aging: The antioxidants present in rose water can help delay the signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles and rough skin. They help smooth the skin.
- Dry skin: Rose water works well as a moisturizer for people with dry skin and all skin types during winter.
- Hair: Rose water hair massage or rose water in the form of hair masks can help relieve scalp itching and redness and soothe an irritated scalp. It may also help alleviate dandruff.
- Stress and anxiety: The smell of rose water, because of its aromatic compound content, provides a relaxing effect and can act as a stress buster. Its aroma has been linked to stimulating the release of feel-good hormones such as serotonin. Serotonin helps relieve depression and anxiety. Rose water may also help alleviate stress-induced headaches.
- Throat: Drinking a few drops of rose water may help soothe and heal a sore throat.
Although rose water appears to be a wonderful home remedy for your skin concerns and health issues, it should not be used as a substitute for a medication prescribed by your doctor.
Does rose water have any side effects?
To date, there are no reports of rose water causing any side effects by taking it internally or applying it topically. It appears to be safe except if you are allergic to it. Allergic reactions are also quite rare.
How can you use rose water?
Rose water is easily available in the market. Grab one or make it by yourself at home.
Here are few ways to use rose water
- Face cleanser (wash your face with rose water)
- Skin toner (dab your face with cotton that is soaked in or sprayed with rose water)
- Moisturizer (mix it with coconut oil or glycerin)
- Rose water tea
- Spray mist (spray on your face or your pillow while sleeping)
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Journal of Birjand University of Medical Sciences
Journal of Inflammation
Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences
Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine