Flies are the tiny, little, disgusting creatures that keep invading our personal space from time to time. Flies also pose a risk of many health hazards. Summers are the time when the battle of flies heats up. Apart from wiping the counters or tabletop and storing food in air-tight containers, you may also try these natural hacks to keep the flies away:
- Basil and other herbs: The basil you use in your pizza sauce is a great pest repeller. Planting basil plants in and around the kitchen keeps the flies away. You can make an insect repellent spray by
- Adding 4 ounces of boiling water and 4-6 ounces of basil leaves.
- Squeezing the leaves into the mixture after the leaves have absorbed all the moisture.
- Pouring 4 ounces of supercheap vodka into the basil–water mixture.
- Storing in the fridge and spraying when necessary.
- Lavender may also be used to repel fleas and flies. Tie a few bouquets of lavender and place them around the house.
- Flytraps: Flytraps should be placed correctly both indoors and outdoors. Traps can be baited with molasses, sugar, fruit, or meat to entice them into the trap. Venus Flytrap is a carnivorous plant that eats insects. If you plant them outside the home, they will naturally eat flies.
- Flypaper: Flypaper uses a paper coated with a substance that has an alluring fragrance for the flies. Due to its stickiness, the fly or bugs going near the flypaper gets trapped. Flypaper can be hung from walls, windows, and ceilings.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is a common household substance. If you are averse to the idea of spraying harmful chemicals, then try using vinegar as a fly repellent. You can make a vinegar trap by
- Pouring about 1 inch of apple cider vinegar into a tall glass jar and mixing few drops of dish soap.
- Covering the top with a piece of plastic wrap and securing with a rubber band.
- Poking a few holes in the wrap.
- Ensuring that the holes are large enough for the flies to enter the trap; flies get attracted to the strong smell of vinegar and gets trapped.
- Reviving your trap every few days.
What are the preventive methods to get rid of flies?
Flies are attracted to materials where they can lay their eggs. This includes:
- Animal feces
- Rotting material, including food waste and other garbage
- Bright light
Hence, it is important to eliminate these things from our house. Some of the other preventive measures to keep flies at bay include:
- Use garbage cans with tight-fitting lids and without holes
- Store food in airtight containers
- Wash the garbage cans more often
- Throw away food and leftovers in plastic trash bags and tie them right away
- Avoid leaving dirty dishes or glasses out on the counter
- Turn off or limit the use of lights at night
- Ensure that the windows, house vents, and doors are sealed completely