- Some formulations of gripe water consist of alcohol. Alcohol, as high as 9%, can cause developmental problems in babies.
- The U.S. FDA does not consider gripe water safe for children.
- Wheat or dairy products in gripe water can upset the baby’s stomach.
- Some formulations of gripe water consist of sucrose, which yet again can prove to be unsafe for children. The high sugar content in the gripe water can harm the erupting teeth.
- Gripe water may also contain gluten, dairy, parabens, and vegetable carbon, which can induce allergy in the children.
- It could potentially worsen a baby’s reflux symptoms.
- It is unfit to be given to babies younger than one month.
- Sodium bicarbonate present in the gripe water doesn’t have a specific role in treating colic. Long-term use of sodium bicarbonate may increase blood alkalinity or pH.
- FDA confirmed the presence of cryptosporidium (a parasite) in one of the formulations of gripe water.
What is gripe water?
Gripe water is a herbal medication available in liquid form. It has been effective in treating colic in children. The main components of gripe water include:
When choosing gripe water, parents should check the label and avoid the product if it contains
- Dairy products
Colic is defined as excessive crying for more than three hours a day at least three days a week for three weeks or more in an otherwise healthy baby. One of the possible reasons could be stomach discomfort in children when unable to pass gas. The exact cause of colic is unknown; hence, there is no accepted conventional treatment. Infantile colic is self-limiting because it resolves at about three months of age.
The herbs in gripe water are known to relieve digestive problems; hence, this formulation was recommended by physicians for the treatment of colic pain.
Gripe water has also been used to treat
Because gripe water is a supplement and not a medication, it doesn’t come under the regulation of the FDA, which means that there is no guarantee for the ingredients mentioned on the label.
What are the side effects of gripe water?
With newer formulations of gripe water, it has been claimed that they are generally safe. However, it is important to monitor for any side effects that include:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors