Ylang Ylang Oil
- What other names is Ylang Ylang Oil known by?
- What is Ylang Ylang Oil?
- How does Ylang Ylang Oil work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Ylang Ylang Oil.
People apply ylang ylang oil to the skin to promote relaxation, kill bacteria, lower high blood pressure, and increase sexual desire. It is also part of a combination spray used to kill head lice.
In foods and beverages, ylang ylang oil is used as a flavoring.
In manufacturing, it is used as a fragrance for cosmetics and soaps.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
APPLIED TO THE SKIN
- Treating head lice. Developing evidence suggests a skin spray containing ylang ylang oil, anise oil, and coconut oil is 92% effective for killing head lice in children. It seems to work about as well as a spray containing bug-killers such as permethrin and malathion.
- Treating high blood pressure.
- Promoting relaxation (as a sedative).
- Increasing sexual desire (as an aphrodisiac).
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.